How powerful is the conclusion of an essay? (1 Viewer)

Ncm

HSC
After exams, I've asked people if they managed to finish their essays and most say they didn't get up to their conclusion, I on the other hand completed the essay.
Is the body more important? would they lose a significant amount of marks?

enoilgam

HSC
After exams, I've asked people if they managed to finish their essays and most say they didn't get up to their conclusion, I on the other hand completed the essay.
Is the body more important? would they lose a significant amount of marks?
I remember I used to think that the conclusion was relatively unimportant and I always had to view that if I ran out of time, I could just skip it. However, when I told my teacher, he pretty much told me that it was a bad idea. The conclusion is a critical part of the essay because it sums up your thesis and the reasons supporting it - if you skip it, the essay will be incomplete and you will likely lose marks for it.

tattoo2200

HSC
N/A
A conclusion is essential is a perfect essay however you can still do well without it. My teacher is a head marker of the english advanced paper with the modules and she said that 20/20 can still be awarded to an essay without a conclusion as long as the body is spot on.

deloving

HSC
A conclusion is essential is a perfect essay however you can still do well without it. My teacher is a head marker of the english advanced paper with the modules and she said that 20/20 can still be awarded to an essay without a conclusion as long as the body is spot on.
Never heard of a marker who would give full marks to an incomplete essay. Impossible.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I think an emphatic ending is pretty important as it's what really resonates with the marker as they're considering your result and provides a neat little summary of everything you've said to reinforce your brilliance. But hey, not the end of the world if you can't quite fit it in on time, though I know at my school you wouldn't be able to get full marks.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on the essay based subject ; some penalise more severly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)