Should I drop English Extension? (1 Viewer)

Ce1ine

HSC
Hey everybody :)

I'm just having the biggest dilemma... the title says it all -should I drop English Ext? I currently do 13 units and I find it difficult to stay on track with other subjects as English Ext demands quite a bit from you at my school (like reading/analysing 2 additional novels, heaps of creatives and essays). However, I also have been advised to keep it as this is the kind of workload that apparently Year 12s would receive for English and that keeping it would benefit English Adv. as well.

I don't find it particularly difficult, but it does demand a lot of time... so what should I do?

iBibah

HSC
Hey everybody :)

I'm just having the biggest dilemma... the title says it all -should I drop English Ext? I currently do 13 units and I find it difficult to stay on track with other subjects as English Ext demands quite a bit from you at my school (like reading/analysing 2 additional novels, heaps of creatives and essays). However, I also have been advised to keep it as this is the kind of workload that apparently Year 12s would receive for English and that keeping it would benefit English Adv. as well.

I don't find it particularly difficult, but it does demand a lot of time... so what should I do?
Do you enjoy the subject? Are you good at it? Do you think it'll count towards your ATAR?

I think you should drop, as you seem to believe dropping would allow you to improve in other subjects. Also who recommended to keep it? Because it's not always best to ask your English teacher or the English Co-Ordinator.

And it doesn't benefit English Adv that much in terms of content and modules, imo.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I find the extra unit of English that I do puts me in a much better position in advanced than those who don't, besides since two units of english have to count toward your ATAR at least if you bomb out in advanced you can make up for it partly by acing extension. I'd keep it, but if you're really struggling or you simply don't like it don't put yourself through it :)

Ce1ine

HSC
Do you enjoy the subject? Are you good at it? Do you think it'll count towards your ATAR?

I think you should drop, as you seem to believe dropping would allow you to improve in other subjects. Also who recommended to keep it? Because it's not always best to ask your English teacher or the English Co-Ordinator.

And it doesn't benefit English Adv that much in terms of content and modules, imo.
To be honest, not really. But I think its mostly due to my teacher, she can be quite misleading at times. I'm okay at it I guess, I'm not exactly at the top but I think I'm far above being the bottom and honestly, I've been thinking about keeping it this year, and dropping it as soon as I hit Year 12.

I asked a couple of current Year 12s and that was what they told me but... I'm really not sure. I decided to do English Ext. mainly because I thought that doing it would help in terms of analysing texts etc.

starshine02

HSC
I found that english ext does help a bit for advanced but it isn't really that much help. In Year 12, the workload for ext increases quite a bit too but if you have a flair for english it shouldn't be that bad. I realised in Year 12 that I really didn't like the topic/subject that much so I ended up dropping it anyways. If you don't like your marks for it, not enjoying it that much and you're planning on dropping it in Year 12, then you might as well drop now to save you the time. Especially because your teacher is misleading, you'll have to put in a lot of extra effort later on in the course too.

Verify

HSC
I found that english ext does help a bit for advanced but it isn't really that much help. In Year 12, the workload for ext increases quite a bit too but if you have a flair for english it shouldn't be that bad. I realised in Year 12 that I really didn't like the topic/subject that much so I ended up dropping it anyways. If you don't like your marks for it, not enjoying it that much and you're planning on dropping it in Year 12, then you might as well drop now to save you the time. Especially because your teacher is misleading, you'll have to put in a lot of extra effort later on in the course too.
I agree with this. In some aspects, extension English can help with your advanced stuff but generally, since both subjects explore very different topics and approach them differently, it won't help too much.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I agree with this. In some aspects, extension English can help with your advanced stuff but generally, since both subjects explore very different topics and approach them differently, it won't help too much.
I think it depends on the situation. My extension teacher is amazing; not only is he a brilliant teacher, he brings lattes to our morning classes for us. My advanced teacher is one of my least favorite people on earth, he's actually the worst English teacher I've ever had. But since you've indicated your extension teacher isn't the greatest maybe extension's not quite so beneficial for you.

iBibah

HSC
To be honest, not really. But I think its mostly due to my teacher, she can be quite misleading at times. I'm okay at it I guess, I'm not exactly at the top but I think I'm far above being the bottom and honestly, I've been thinking about keeping it this year, and dropping it as soon as I hit Year 12.

I asked a couple of current Year 12s and that was what they told me but... I'm really not sure. I decided to do English Ext. mainly because I thought that doing it would help in terms of analysing texts etc.
Might as well drop it then and not waste your time. You don't enjoy it that much, you're already thinking of dropping in year 12 and it won't improve adv english by that much.

Unless you want to keep it to see if circumstances change, then thats fine.

Ce1ine

HSC
Thanks for everyone's input :)

I've thought about it, and I have decided to drop it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)