Tell me about economics? (1 Viewer)

nkw

HSC
N/A
Still trying to decide whether I want to do economics or maybe business studies? Obviously economics scales higher and if you do well in it so I'm just trying to find out what it's all about so I can decide whether it would be a subject I can excel in :). At my school economics is an online subject, business is a subject taught in class.

So I'm guessing these are my questions?
1) What is economics?
2)What is business studies?
3)How does the content compare ?
4)Is economics an intresting subject?
5) is business studies an intresting subject ?

mrs_missile

HSC
im in yr 11 atm...both subjects are interesting...business tends to be easier than eco

enoilgam

HSC
Still trying to decide whether I want to do economics or maybe business studies? Obviously economics scales higher and if you do well in it so I'm just trying to find out what it's all about so I can decide whether it would be a subject I can excel in :). At my school economics is an online subject, business is a subject taught in class.

So I'm guessing these are my questions?
1) What is economics?
2)What is business studies?
3)How does the content compare ?
4)Is economics an intresting subject?
5) is business studies an intresting subject ?
1) The best way for me to describe economics would be "the science of business" - economics focuses on how markets work, government policies and activities and that sort of stuff.
2) Business studies gives a more general overview of businesses and business functions, like marketing, HR, finance etc.
3) A friend of mine who did both told me that "Business Studies is a watered down version of Economics".
4) This really depends on the person - I found it pretty interesting, but others might not.
5) Same as 4.

Just note I didnt do Business Studies, but I have had a solid look through the syllabus and textbooks on it. Maybe someone who has done Business could expand more on it.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Eco is without a doubt much harder then business, you actually have to understand and learn concepts unlike business. If you have fairly good logical thinking skills i would recommend eco.

Overall, eco is a much better subject which relates to real life. You will understand everything which is discussed on the news as it covers individuals, firms and government whereas business is just a detailed approach on firms (obviously).

I do both eco and business if it really matters, first for both as well.

deloving

HSC
Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon Slimshady Akon
lol.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
I did both in year 11, but dropped both for Year 12. Economics was definitely more interesting, but really hard to keep on top of as it requires to keep up to date with things to do with the economy eg. exchange rate, unemployment numbers etc, so the workload is definitely higher. But anyway;

1)Economics focuses on how the economy effects everyone in terms of markets, government policies and how the economy works. If business studies is the how to run of a business, then economics is definitely the why.
2)Business is pretty much about how to run a business, and how to make it successful
3)Business is the how, economics is the why.
4)Economics is a really interesting subject, and you can definitely see the real life applications.
5)I found business insanely boring, to be honest.

So really, economics is definitely the better subject, as long as you're able to keep on top of it.

Kurby

HSC
N/A
I'm just worried when you said Economics is an online subject... Do you have the motivation to teach yourself?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I'm just worried when you said Economics is an online subject... Do you have the motivation to teach yourself?
Yeah that seems concerning, especially if you don't understand the concepts straight away.

ataratar

HSC
I would definitely say that economics is more rewarding and as you can understand how the economy actually works and use your analytical thinking skills, whereas business studies is more about rote learning and regurgitating notes according to what my friends have told me (i only do eco.) But why can you only learn it online? Cos I think its much more beneficial to have a teacher as some of the concepts are a little tricky to get your head around!

RishBonjour

HSC
economics is actually interesting whereas business isn't.
After the first few weeks of eco, the general economy, the news, the budget, won't be alien to you anymore. But there is a huge difference between business and economics. This carries through to uni, economics is much harder here too.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Business is a lot of common sense, and rote learning. To me, I found it quite boring and menial.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)