What can you tell me about these subjects? (1 Viewer)

nkw

HSC
N/A
Experiences/tips/advice anything!!!

These are my options for yr 11
Sor is compulsory - I think I'm gonna try 2 unit instead of 1 :)
Definitely doing advanced English, not sure about extension
2 unit maths

And my other options are:
-Food tech
-Economics(online)
-Chemistry
-Cafs
-Modern History
-Legal studies

My schools atar rank is #135 , not sure about cohort size cause nobody's really sure yet :)
I'm aiming for an atar score of 96 :monkey:

Thanks everyone :)!

nkw

HSC
N/A
Advanced , not completely sure if I will be doing extension yet but I would like to give it a go :) I've been considering modern because I just find the whole Russian and German war really interesting but I'm not sure I like legal studies and wow I wish I could do them all lol

nkw

HSC
N/A
Bump for anyone who wants to add anything :(
I really have no idea what to pick :(

HSC
As it stands you have 14 units (correct me if I am wrong) and you want to have 12. If you have one that is least interesting to you then give that the flick. If you have an equal fascination in all of them then check the scaling and choose the one which scales best.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Well economics/chemistry are high scaling so may help with your ATAR aim

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I did English Adv, SOR II, Chemistry and (ancient) history, maths adv for my HSC.

Also did maths ext 1 for preliminary but dropped it.

My advice: Defs do SORII, its piss easy and so easy to bullshit. Also scales amazingly- think about all the catholic schools who force students to do religion- most pick SOR1 and hence shit scaling. Hardly anyone does SOR2 and hence it scales REALLY well trust me.

Also take on ext 1 maths, it makes 2 unit much easier. If it becomes too much just drop it whenever you feel like it!

Also, just do subjects you LIKE. You're more likely to get a better mark in those rather than a high scaling subject you hate.

Just go with the flow~

nkw

HSC
N/A
I did English Adv, SOR II, Chemistry and (ancient) history, maths adv for my HSC.

Also did maths ext 1 for preliminary but dropped it.

My advice: Defs do SORII, its piss easy and so easy to bullshit. Also scales amazingly- think about all the catholic schools who force students to do religion- most pick SOR1 and hence shit scaling. Hardly anyone does SOR2 and hence it scales REALLY well trust me.

Also take on ext 1 maths, it makes 2 unit much easier. If it becomes too much just drop it whenever you feel like it!

Also, just do subjects you LIKE. You're more likely to get a better mark in those rather than a high scaling subject you hate.

Just go with the flow~

1) I want to do sor2 but my religion teacher recommended me sor1 does that mean I might not be competent enough :( I mean she is the teacher
2) if I do extension maths I will without a doubt fail it so I think I should just stick to 2 unit
3) I want to do chemistry but I feel like its going to be such a competitive class, the girls in my grade could easily walk away with 99.95 score tomorrow, in some ways that does advantage me but it also disadvantages me (not coming first and such)

nkw

HSC
N/A
Eco , chem and legal have high scaling.
Eco is an online class so I'm just a bit worried about how that will effect me and I'm not entirely sure if I will find it interesting hehe but here's the thing, subjects like economics, challenging subjects is what pushes me to be a better student that's why I was thinking I should do it. Chem like I made in the last post I'm just a little worried that I won't be making high enough marks and also I really want to do legal cause I like all that law stuff but I heard its a bad scaling subject

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
1) I want to do sor2 but my religion teacher recommended me sor1 does that mean I might not be competent enough :( I mean she is the teacher
2) if I do extension maths I will without a doubt fail it so I think I should just stick to 2 unit
3) I want to do chemistry but I feel like its going to be such a competitive class, the girls in my grade could easily walk away with 99.95 score tomorrow, in some ways that does advantage me but it also disadvantages me (not coming first and such)

1) Your teacher is absolutely retarded. The only difference is that you do double the work (obviously). In SOR1 you study 3 topics/religions, in SOR2 you study 6. The format of the exam is exactly the same, however again, it is doubled. If you can do SOR1 you can do SOR2 its just a matter of being able to put up with 4 classes a week of religion, ew.

2)I did extension maths and it really helped my 2unit drastically, even though I did crap in ext1. Once i dropped ext1 my 2unit mark/rank dropped substantially in year 12.

3) Competitive is good. A strong cohort means you will get a better mark if you can stay close to them in terms of ranks.

Coetez

HSC
1. As louie said, yeah it scales so much better, and isnt that different asides from more work.
2. Extension definitely helps, i have friends who aren't performing that well in extension but in 2u they do really well, it just helps, as they go into more detail with the concept. You also physically do more maths. :D
3. As long as you perform decently, you should be fine, as the cohort scaling takes the difference between ranks into account as well, it also means you're internal assessment's match up better against the state.

In the end, just do what you are good at and enjoy, often mutually inclusive. :)

nkw

HSC
N/A
1. As louie said, yeah it scales so much better, and isnt that different asides from more work.
2. Extension definitely helps, i have friends who aren't performing that well in extension but in 2u they do really well, it just helps, as they go into more detail with the concept. You also physically do more maths. :D
3. As long as you perform decently, you should be fine, as the cohort scaling takes the difference between ranks into account as well, it also means you're internal assessment's match up better against the state.
In the end, just do what you are good at and enjoy, often mutually inclusive. :)
Okay I'll put it this way with the maths: I enjoy maths a lot! A lot, a lot, a lot! I could honestly do maths all day and never get sick of it, I would probably be doing like something I'm finance or accounting when I left school except for a couple of reasons. 1) last year my attendance was so bad I can't even tell you lol. 2) I'm currently in 5.1 in year 10 (dropped from 5.2 after having a breakdown before my exams and being dropped classes), I always make stupid mistakes in maths and forget how to do things a lot. I'm not quite sure why, some things you can say to me once and I will be able to do it straight away, others I need to practice lots of times and I think it's frustrating because there usually the things others find the easiest. (Wouldn't be able to keep up with pace of 3u probably) and 3. I don't think the teachers would even let me do extension maths with the way I am. I don't think I'm bad at maths or incapable of 3 unit stuff I just think cause of the time I missed and just my errors in the past the teachers would probably laugh if I even put it down on my subject sheet. I started going to tutoring for maths but I just don't think I would be able to do it :bomb: sighs

nkw

HSC
N/A
Oh also just wanted to thank everyone for being so helpful :)!

Focus is Key

HSC
Legal doesn't scale bad :/ CAFS is my favourite subject and it's not difficult to do well at. I liked EE1 English in Prelims more than I have in the HSC!

Btw, I did 14 units during Prelims and it wasn't hard. Although for the HSC definitely drop at least one unit, maybe two. E.g. I dropped Biology and picked up English Extension 2 (Hence having 13 units and only 12 units of proper exams to do).

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I do Chem, Modern, Legal and Advanced and Extension English; as well as one correspondence course (French). I love Modern, but because all of what you study depends upon the topics chosen I can't really recommend it without knowing what topics you will cover. Legal is probably my best subject. It doesn't scale fantastically but if you can get high nineties or a hundred percent in your assessments you'll do fine regardless. Chem is pretty heavy on content, but I really like it because despite that you can't just rote learn a text book and do well, you actually have to be able to understand it and that's what the focus is on which is really good. I hate advanced, but that's because my teacher's a douche. I like extension, but less than I was expecting too. It's all a bit pretentious and indie to be honest. As for taking a correspondence course, it isn't easy. My teacher is a mega bitch, which doesn't really help, and since I'm doing a language not having the speaking time is difficult (won't affect you). I considered taking economics by correspondence instead of doing chem but I was advised against it. Economics has some pretty over-your-head kind of concepts as you progress which really aren't so difficult to grasp with someone explaining it to you. If you just have a textbook and you're working through it yourself though, it can be a struggle.

tsdylan

HSC
I would recommend for you to do ext 1 maths its not that hard and the scaling's much better than 2 unit maths all you have to do is work harder in it and you'll easily achieve success haha cliched but hey it works :cool:

nkw

HSC
N/A
At my school only 5.3 students can do 2 unit maths and extension , so basically my only option is general. Maybe it's best to not even do it? And focus on other ones?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)