Chemistry and physics? (1 Viewer)

nkw

HSC
N/A
Would somebody be willing to pm or just reply here explaining the type of things you do in year 11 chem and physics? Trying to decide what I want to do next year for year 11 :) Just like the type of questions and things you learn about?

madharris

HSC
N/A
Didn't do physics

In chem what you do in year 11 is learn about the fundamentals of chemistry e.g. learn about moles, how to use the periodic table, metals, water, energy
Some of the concepts are difficult to get at first, but it's pretty easy after you finally understand it, it just takes a bit of work and practice

In year 12 chem what you do is learn about hydrocarbons, a bit of nuclear chem, a bit about electrolytic cells and batteries, acids and bases, how acids effect the environment, esters (such as flavouring), ozone and why there's a hole in it/activity in the atmosphere, production of ammonia and what it's used for, monitoring and management of water
THen your school will also do an option topic in which you learn about either: shipwrecks and corrosion, biochemistry, industrial chem, forensics or chemistry of the art (i have no idea what this one is)

nkw

HSC
N/A
Didn't do physics

In chem what you do in year 11 is learn about the fundamentals of chemistry e.g. learn about moles, how to use the periodic table, metals, water, energy
Some of the concepts are difficult to get at first, but it's pretty easy after you finally understand it, it just takes a bit of work and practice

In year 12 chem what you do is learn about hydrocarbons, a bit of nuclear chem, a bit about electrolytic cells and batteries, acids and bases, how acids effect the environment, esters (such as flavouring), ozone and why there's a hole in it/activity in the atmosphere, production of ammonia and what it's used for, monitoring and management of water
THen your school will also do an option topic in which you learn about either: shipwrecks and corrosion, biochemistry, industrial chem, forensics or chemistry of the art (i have no idea what this one is)
Hmm that sounds interesting. I know my class will be really competitive and strong so is there anything I should try to do now to help myself out for next year? Im half-way through year 10 and didn't really listen at all last year to the stuff about periodic table. Should I start by learning the periodic table?

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Didn't do physics

Chem of art has like quantum chem I think

madharris

HSC
N/A
Hmm that sounds interesting. I know my class will be really competitive and strong so is there anything I should try to do now to help myself out for next year? Im half-way through year 10 and didn't really listen at all last year to the stuff about periodic table. Should I start by learning the periodic table?
Just learn the chemistry part of your year 10 science textbook - it really helps especially with the first topic
Familiarise yourself with the periodic table
Learn what valencies are
Learn simple terms such as an atom, element, molecule, proton, neutron, electron, nucleus

Possibly read a few peoples year 11 chemistry notes (the first topic) in the resources section
http://www.boredofstudies.org/view.php?course=11

Chemistry's a pretty rewarding subject i.e. once you understand something you feel excited :p (for me at least)

nkw

HSC
N/A
Just learn the chemistry part of your year 10 science textbook - it really helps especially with the first topic
Familiarise yourself with the periodic table
Learn what valencies are
Learn simple terms such as an atom, element, molecule, proton, neutron, electron, nucleus

Possibly read a few peoples year 11 chemistry notes (the first topic) in the resources section
http://www.boredofstudies.org/view.php?course=11

Chemistry's a pretty rewarding subject i.e. once you understand something you feel excited :p (for me at least)

We don't do chemistry in year 10, in fact we don't even have a text book lol! We've just done some dna and genetics stuff and now we're finishing off motion. But I'll definitely study the things you recommended :) thanks for that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)