Got rejected from doing subjects? (1 Viewer)

nkw

HSC
N/A
I wanted to do:
-3 unit eng
-sor2
-legal studies
-chem
-physics
-pe(to fill the units)

I'm now being told today that I can do advanced english but not extension.
SOR1 but not SOR2
Senior science but not chem and physics.

By telling me no there basically saying I can fight it but they don't want me to do it.

Basically I can't do extension eng becaue apparently its too hard for me. But I don't understand? If they think I'm competent enough to do advanced than shouldn't I be able to do extension? My friend who did both in her senior years said that advanced was easier than extension.

SOR2 I can't do because they reckon it will be too difficult/too much work for me? Like it's religon!? I don't even understand this.

And lastly chem and physics? Apparently I can't do these because I'm not in the top 15 of my grade. Like obviously I understand this part because science is hard. But I think iT's a stupid way to pick who can and can't do these two because we don't even really cover chem and physics in year 10 (only the 3 laws).

I don't know what to do here. I have an interview tomorrow and I'm just honestly pissed off because I was really excited for my senior years and I wanted to study really hard but this is honestly ruining it for me. I don't know whether I should fight this or just do some piss-easy subject where I will end up getting distracted in and not giving a flying f about.

Help :( ?

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
Do whatever you want to do and feel will benefit you most in the HSC. Don't listen to what your school says would be my opinion.

enoilgam

HSC
I don't know what to do here. I have an interview tomorrow and I'm just honestly pissed off because I was really excited for my senior years and I wanted to study really hard but this is honestly ruining it for me. I don't know whether I should fight this or just do some piss-easy subject where I will end up getting distracted in and not giving a flying f about.
It's difficult to say, because each school has there own standards when it comes to allowing students to do certain subjects. At my old HS, they placed restrictions on quite a few subjects, but they were willing to budge if you put a good case forward and if you were a good student. One of my friends wasnt great at school and he was barred from doing a few subjects because of his ranks, but he spoke to the teachers in charge and they relented because he had excellent attendence and some other teachers put in a good word for him (in class he was well behaved and did his work).

So, I would speak to them and put a really good case forward as to why you should be allowed into the courses - if you are a good student and on good terms with some teachers, they may make an exception.

nkw

HSC
N/A
Well I'm still considering the science ones. Maybe I should just do senior science or something. However what about religion and english? Am I right about them though? If I am capable of advanced I should be capable of extension? And If I'm capable of SOR1 I should be capable of SOR2?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
SOR2 is a joke, its just the same as SOR1 with additional content.

Some kid at my school was failing SOR1, but for hsc actually moved up to SOR2 because he dropped another subject and is now down to 10 units.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Anyone capable of SOR1 is capable of SOR2. It's not harder, there's just double the content. It's stupid of them to tell you that you can't do it. However I understand the sciences and extension english. If all that you've learnt in regards to chemistry and physics in junior years is Newton's three laws, you're probably going to struggle a bit. Schools want as many students to do well as possible, it reflects really well upon the school. If they thought that you would do well in chemistry and physics they would be pretty keen on you doing them. I think they're just concerned about how well you could handle them, it's always better to excel in senior science and feel comfortable with the content than be completely out of your depth in chem and physics. Furthermore, I know a lot of people who do advanced who wouldn't be able to do very well in extension. If everyone who can do fine in advanced could do fine in extension it wouldn't be extending anyone, it would just be three units of advanced. That being said, if these are subjects that you really want to do (and with extension English an interest in literature seems more important than notable skill in English; as long as you're around the top 10%-15% of your grade in English you'd be fine if you love it) contest the rejection. They can't physically stop you from doing a subject that you really want to do, and if you put in enough work you're likely to be fine.

Last edited:

nkw

HSC
N/A
Anyone capable of SOR1 is capable of SOR2. It's not harder, there's just double the content. It's stupid of them to tell you that you can't do it. However I understand the sciences and extension english. If all that you've learnt in regards to chemistry and physics in junior years is Newton's three laws, you're probably going to struggle a bit. Schools want as many students to do well as possible, it reflects really well upon the school. If they thought that you would do well in chemistry and physics they would be pretty keen on you doing them. I think they're just concerned about how well you could handle them, it's always better to excel in senior science and feel comfortable with the content than be completely out of your depth in chem and physics. Furthermore, I know a lot of people who do advanced who wouldn't be able to do very well in extension. If everyone who can do fine in advanced could do fine in extension it wouldn't be extending anyone, it would just be three units of advanced. That being said, if these are subjects that you really want to do (and with extension English an interest in literature seems more important than notable skill in English; as long as you're around the top 10%-15% of your grade in English you'd be fine if you love it) contest the rejection. They can't physically stop you from doing a subject that you really want to do, and if you put in enough work you're likely to be fine.
Do you think I should try chem and extension?

nifkeh

HSC
I personally did better in prelim extension english than advanced, and also if I were you I'd just do physics and chem in year 11 then drop down to senior science if you felt it was hard :) it's not good to deny yourself a chance then go 'maybe if..', just do it first

nkw

HSC
N/A
I personally did better in prelim extension english than advanced, and also if I were you I'd just do physics and chem in year 11 then drop down to senior science if you felt it was hard :) it's not good to deny yourself a chance then go 'maybe if..', just do it first

That's how I see it. I really hope they do give me a chance.

nkw

HSC
N/A
Does anybody know if schools are literally allowed to tell a student no to doing a subject? I was thinking if the interview goes bad tomorrow I might contact bos and see if they can do anything about it?

Verify

HSC
I think in my experience, pick up extension english only if you wish to pursue it in Year 12 and is interested in English. Sure, it may give you extra perks and you might actually do something that you find more interesting than advanced (such as Gothic and creative writing), but I think you're better off doing 1 unit subjects such as photography or psychology. For me, I chose extension for the sole reason of filling up 12 units in Year 11. No more than that.

Verify

HSC
Does anybody know if schools are literally allowed to tell a student no to doing a subject? I was thinking if the interview goes bad tomorrow I might contact bos and see if they can do anything about it?
They can't forcibly reject you from a subject. Although many schools do disallow students from picking subjects (such as yours), they can only advise you to not take up the subject due to difficulty and whatnot. Even MX2 I don't think they can disallow.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I'm still considering the science ones. Maybe I should just do senior science or something. However what about religion and english? Am I right about them though? If I am capable of advanced I should be capable of extension? And If I'm capable of SOR1 I should be capable of SOR2?
Senior science has terrible, terrible scaling. If you really want to do chem and physics I'd fight that one.

I think it's lame they won't even let you try in yr 11 where you could have drastically different study habits. You could drop down to snr science if one of the science subjects is too hard, as well you could take Ext Eng as the 13th unit and have that three units of playing field to drop with.

Is it a public or private school? Public they should only be allowed to reject if A) subject does not run or B) Classes are all full.

tahlu

HSC
Honestly Extension English is hard, so are Chem and Physics, but at the end of the day the school cannot actually tell you what you're allowed to do it comes down to what you want to do. I personally would recommend only taking one risky subject and possibly an extension course because you can drop them if you want to but you don't want to end up stuck with a course that you don't like and aren't good at, it'd probably actually be better to get stuck with some piss easy subject. Anyway do what you think because in the end it's your decision yadayadayada and all that crap :)

nkw

HSC
N/A
Senior science has terrible, terrible scaling. If you really want to do chem and physics I'd fight that one.

I think it's lame they won't even let you try in yr 11 where you could have drastically different study habits. You could drop down to snr science if one of the science subjects is too hard, as well you could take Ext Eng as the 13th unit and have that three units of playing field to drop with.

Is it a public or private school? Public they should only be allowed to reject if A) subject does not run or B) Classes are all full.

Thats excactly why I'm so hurt over this whole stuff. Year 11 and 12 was where I was going to work really hard. I know what I've wanted to do since I was little and I started researching all this stuff 3 weeks before we even had subject selection talks I though that maybe they would just trust me considering its my hsc and they wouldn't fight me on this considering our school motto is 'faith, courage and tolerance'. It's a Catholic school, but at the end of the day we're not some amazing fancy school. We do pretty good in the hsc, we're definitely not near James ruse so I just hate that they would be treating it like I'm going to stuff this up for them when I'm probably more dedicated already than half of my grade.

goldish

HSC
Thats excactly why I'm so hurt over this whole stuff. Year 11 and 12 was where I was going to work really hard. I know what I've wanted to do since I was little and I started researching all this stuff 3 weeks before we even had subject selection talks I though that maybe they would just trust me considering its my hsc and they wouldn't fight me on this considering our school motto is 'faith, courage and tolerance'. It's a Catholic school, but at the end of the day we're not some amazing fancy school. We do pretty good in the hsc, we're definitely not near James ruse so I just hate that they would be treating it like I'm going to stuff this up for them when I'm probably more dedicated already than half of my grade.
^faith, courage, tolerance, is it CC?

no, but seriously, chem is not that hard. you just have to listen and actually take it. focus. focus. focus. that's what my teacher always says. :)
if you really want to do those subjects, fight for it and prove them that what they're thinking of you is wrong (or you can just move schools. apply for penrith or st marys or something)

Last edited:

nkw

HSC
N/A
^faith, courage, tolerance, is it CC?

no, but seriously, chem is not that hard. you just have to listen and actually take it. focus. focus. focus. that's what my teacher always says. :)
if you really want to do those subjects, fight for it and prove them that what they're thinking of you is wrong (or you can just move schools. apply for penrith or st marys or something)

Yes lol, I knew someone get it .
I guess that's all I can do, thanks for your help everyone :)

nkw

HSC
N/A
Had my interview today :( there still trying to make me pick subjects like pe and Cafs?? They said I can do sor2 and they would see about extension english depending how I go over the following semester. There refusing chemistry so far and I need to go have another meeting with my principal on Tuesday :
:evilfire: I contacted bored of studies today about it and I was told to again contact my principal and there was nothing they could do about it?? :frown2:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
If the classes aren't full you should be allowed to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)