Assessments too easy? (1 Viewer)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Hey guys,
I've just done my half yearlies and I'm really frustrated at how easy they were. It's the same with a lot of the assessment tasks we've done this year. A third of my results have been 100% and I haven't received any mark lower than 92% all year. I was wondering if I would be justified in complaining if this continues into year 12? I know this sounds stupid, but the thing is that there are people who are getting 94% in tests that I get 100% in, when if I were given the room to do so I know that I would be beating them by more than 6%, and I'm worried as to how that would affect my internal results in the HSC. I've raised it with a couple of teachers, but they said they can't really make them too much harder if averages are 50%-60% already (I go to a rural comprehensive). So should I make a bigger deal of this if it continues into year 12, or is it not important enough to worry about?

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
If they are ridiculously easy, or even easy to a lower extent; it will all get moderated. Focus on your ranks and being as clustered as possible, not the actual numerical value of the mark.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
If they are ridiculously easy, or even easy to a lower extent; it will all get moderated. Focus on your ranks and being as clustered as possible, not the actual numerical value of the mark.
That's the problem, I can't get the ranks that I would be able to if the tests were harder because I'm capped at 100%. If we got harder assessments I would be ranked further above the people in second than I currently am, which is why I'm concerned.

Last edited:

iBibah

HSC
That's the problem, I can't get the ranks that I would be able to if the tests were harder because I'm capped at 100%. If we got harder assessments I would be ranked further above the people in second than I currently am, which is why I'm concerned.
As long as you keep first, it doesn't matter how close they are to you.

Shadowless

HSC
I disagree. From what I recall, the percentage difference between your overall marks and other people's actually matter, the only exception to this being if you were first or last. Correct me if I'm wrong but unless you are coming first, you actually have something to complain about as this will actually affect your marks.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
If they are piss easy, you will have even shit students doing almost as well as the better students. That is actually quite bad when it comes to the HSC - they will probably bomb out or do fairly average, if you are not first, then your mark may be dragged down based on the range and mean of marks.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you are ranked first it will not matter at all, however it is annoying. They would hopefully be more differentiable in yr 12.

Like everyone in some of my classes were tightly ranked...but in one sub the closest HSC exam mark to me was 8 below...

(Rural comprehensive hi five btw!)

yrwrstnhtmr

HSC
If you are ranked first in a subject you will get the highest exam mark of your whole cohort as your HSC assessment mark and whatever you get as your HSC exam mark you will get also. So as long as you are first and ace the HSC you will do great.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Oh, I thought the margin by which you were first contributed to your result. If not, that's fine. Thanks!

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Just remain first.

If they are piss easy, you will have even shit students doing almost as well as the better students. That is actually quite bad when it comes to the HSC - they will probably bomb out or do fairly average, if you are not first, then your mark may be dragged down based on the range and mean of marks.
Correct - true. I was presenting it more as an overarching concept, rather than one exclusive to the presented circumstance.

I disagree. From what I recall, the percentage difference between your overall marks and other people's actually matter, the only exception to this being if you were first or last. Correct me if I'm wrong but unless you are coming first, you actually have something to complain about as this will actually affect your marks.
Why are you disagreeing with the indisputable? How do you think Board of Studies can equalize the state in terms of difficult/easy assessments, difficult/easy marking (and of course the middle thereof); moderation is key to the process. E.g. my friend from last year was on a 93 internal for bio, however it was dragged down to a 75 internal (he was second or third) why? Shit cohort and moderation. It is all about the ranks, keeping it clustered; and performing highly in the external exam.

To even use an example on this forum: SanjoyM. His internals were all in the high 90's, dragged down to 70's (parramatta high shit) even though his externals equated to a 99.95 ATAR, he ended up with 94. Still a brilliant ATAR, but ridiculous in terms of his actual potential. He was first too, but EQUAL first, meaning marks were averaged. Same thing goes if you're not first.

Last edited:

nifkeh

HSC
Just remain first.

Correct - true. I was presenting it more as an overarching concept, rather than one exclusive to the presented circumstance.

Why are you disagreeing with the indisputable? How do you think Board of Studies can equalize the state in terms of difficult/easy assessments, difficult/easy marking (and of course the middle thereof); moderation is key to the process. E.g. my friend from last year was on a 93 internal for bio, however it was dragged down to a 75 internal (he was second or third) why? Shit cohort and moderation. It is all about the ranks, keeping it clustered; and performing highly in the external exam.

To even use an example on this forum: SanjoyM. His internals were all in the high 90's, dragged down to 70's (parramatta high shit) even though his externals equated to a 99.95 ATAR, he ended up with 94. Still a brilliant ATAR, but ridiculous in terms of his actual potential. He was first too, but EQUAL first, meaning marks were averaged. Same thing goes if you're not first.
+1

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Still annoying as I won't be very well prepared for the HSC, but it won't be overly hard to get first in everything at my school so it shouldn't affect my internal result.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)