Vocabulary and Lexical Density - Advanced English (1 Viewer)

hholbrook

HSC
Hi,

So my teachers often discuss 'lexical density' and I feel that my vocabulary is largely my short coming in my essay writing. I feel that I tend to say certain things in too many words and that if I used fewer 'better' words, I could say more in the time provided/word limity. I often think to myself "I'm sure there is a single word for this four word description" but I just can't seem to find an appropriate term. Does anyone have any tips for improving my vocab or for solving this problem?

Thanks

kwu1

HSC
Read extensively and compile vocabulary lists of words you don't understand and search them up in the dictionary. If you're dedicated enough, memorise the words and try apply them in sentences. But in all honesty, HSC is about communicating yourself in the clearest way possible. This doesn't mean you have to overload your writing with words that will most likely convolute your response (unless if you feel you can control your expression and clarity).

enoilgam

HSC
But in all honesty, HSC is about communicating yourself in the clearest way possible. This doesn't mean you have to overload your writing with words that will most likely convolute your response (unless if you feel you can control your expression and clarity).
This is really important - so many students seem to think that the use of super sophisticated words somehow improves the quality of a response. What ends up happening more times than not is that the response becomes overly verbose and difficult to understand. Sophisticated language should only be used if it is necessary to convey your point, not just for the sake of looking smart.

hholbrook

HSC
I want to use it because I feel that my current vocab is a little poor. I tend to repeat the same words often. If I do come across words that help prove a point I try to use them but I was wondering if there was perhaps a resource that provided some really good, strong word. For example, I feel that words such 'mendacious' and 'avaricious' are quite good for use in essays. Correct me if I'm wrong.

enoilgam

HSC
I want to use it because I feel that my current vocab is a little poor. I tend to repeat the same words often. If I do come across words that help prove a point I try to use them but I was wondering if there was perhaps a resource that provided some really good, strong word. For example, I feel that words such 'mendacious' and 'avaricious' are quite good for use in essays. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Repeating words is something you should work on. As for those two words, I guess you could use them in the sentence provided that it isnt too verbose or laden with other over the top words

hholbrook

HSC
Okay thanks, enoilgam. I freaking love this community! Everyone is so friendly :)

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
This is really important - so many students seem to think that the use of super sophisticated words somehow improves the quality of a response. What ends up happening more times than not is that the response becomes overly verbose and difficult to understand. Sophisticated language should only be used if it is necessary to convey your point, not just for the sake of looking smart.
Let's be honest though... most HSC english markers are impressed with sophisticated language. To get into the mid-high A range, you need to be writing with a flourish. Just make sure that you're not using that language incorrectly or awkwardly, or else you'll sound like an idiot and it'll cost you marks instead.

enoilgam

HSC
Let's be honest though... most HSC english markers are impressed with sophisticated language. To get into the mid-high A range, you need to be writing with a flourish. Just make sure that you're not using that language incorrectly or awkwardly, or else you'll sound like an idiot and it'll cost you marks instead.
True, but it has to be done properly - a verbose, overly complex sentence is nowhere near as effective as a simple sentence which gets to the point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)