Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree261Likes

Thread: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)-99+ ATAR graduate

HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to excel in senior year studies(yr 11/

Quote Originally Posted by keithkung View Post
    Mei, thanks for your info!
    I was wondering if you can elaborate more on how to write notes for the sciences. Like when, how much time u put in it, the format etc? I seriously need some help with notes, since it would be super time consuming when u do it for every subject nd u wd end up with no time studying it. One more thing lol, typed or written? Thanks a lotttttttttt!
    For the science subjects, you basically write notes with the syllabus dot points as your headings-a very important thing to remember is you don't neglect putting relevant labelled diagrams and first hand(experiments) and second hand(individual research) investigations into your science notes as well. Basically, you can either do it in dot points to summarise the dot point, making sure you are putting in all relevant chemical equations or examples, a HSC Chemistry guide can be downloaded from the link in this thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ry-256504.html

Download the above guide, you will have a pretty good idea of what a good set of chemistry notes should look like and how long your notes should roughly be.

I can't give you a definitive amount of time you should put into writing your notes, but essentially, you must leave enough time to revise over your notes and apply the knowledge you learnt from your notes by doing more questions. So start doing your notes as early as you start learning a topic, don't leave it till the very end when you will fill overwhelmed by the amount of work you will have to do.

For me, I prefer writing my notes-simply because it assist my memory, and I remembered my notes through the process of summarising rather than memorising what the specifics of what the notes are deliberately. However, if you need to look back over your notes at the end of the year, i.e. for your trials, I do suggest you type your notes up-it makes changes to editing and formatting as easy as a click of a button.

Find a way that works for you, remember if you plan your time well and you start working on your notes on a weekly basis-it will be a manageable workload, and if you are truly determined to make notes, you will find a way to make them You will learn through physically making notes what's the best note making method for you, trial and error, and refine. Hope this helps-if you have any more questions, feel free to ask here or PM me-and welcome to bored of studies-may you ace your senior year studies

Quote Originally Posted by iJimmy View Post
    is there any thread that describes note making for the social sciences?
    I guess you can check out the social science forum and the various sub-forums and see whether among any of the stickied threads there is a thread that includes information on note making, or alternately you can start a new thread and ask HSC students who have done well in social science subjects to give you some guidance on how to make notes-I am sure if you are keen, you will be able to track a few down Best wishes
    Last edited by strawberrye; 14 Jan 2014 at 7:42 AM.
    buckskinbrumby likes this.
    "DEFINE your own results, don't let your results DEFINE you"
    2013 All Rounders| Eng Adv(93)|2 unit maths(95)|Chem(94)|Physics(91)|
    Offering personalised tutoring: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...g-classifieds/

HSC
    Bump! Mei is awesome
    HSC 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Kiraken View Post
    i am not moist

Bachelor of Law/ Bachelor of International Studies @ Macquarie University (GLEP Program)

:{)

same
    HSC

Re: Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to excel in senior year studies(yr 11/

I can provide information for Legal, Business and Economics on this. (Mei I hope you don't mind hahah)

Business Studies and Economics:
    Business Studies and Economics follow a common method in making notes. The bare basic steps to making notes for these subjects is to:
    - Introduce the concept and elaborate upon it (provide enough information to cover an 3-4 mark question). During this time try to synthesise this information in your own words since it'll help in understanding the dotpoint rather than just rote learning it.
    - Define all relevant terms (to cover the define questions as well as give you some base knowledge for extended responses)
    - Cover relevant formula.
    ^ By just covering these you should already have enough knowledge to deal with Multiple Choice questions and low/mid tier short answer questions. Now after doing this it's time to exercise Social Science common sense. By seeing the dotpoints you should be able to have a general recognition on the limitations each dotpoint has. For example, there are some dotpoints where you can tell after going through the textbook and using your own reasoning that BoS can simply not ask a question beyond a mid tier short answer question for said dotpoints. These will be the dotpoints that you can generally leave at the form stated above. However, there are other dotpoints which can be potential high tier short answer questions and a significant part of extended responses. For these dotpoints, cover enough information so that you will be able to comfortably answer a high tier (5+ marks) short answer question). Also with these sections make sure to integrate case studies for Business Studies (It's actually a good idea to do this for mid tier short answer questions as well since nowadays they can ask for contemporary examples in short answer questions) and data and trends for Economics.

As I touched a bit on in the last sentence, the main difference between making Economics notes and Business Studies notes is your coverage of data and case studies. For Business Studies, in section IV it is essential that you integrate case studies into your response, so therefore it is essential that you also integrate case studies in your notes or make separate notes for case studies. More information on how to collect case study information can be found in this thread. http://community.boredofstudies.org/...on-228940.html For Economics, in your extended responses there may be a need to integrate data and trends into your answers, so be sure to add them in your notes as well. This also includes specific policies that have been implemented by the Australian government over the years in order to achieve their economic objectives (a policies question has been asked nearly every year for the HSC for Eco). The other main difference is for Economics you will need to provide more of the "high tier" short answer question information since nearly every dotpoint can be a potential extended response while for Business you can generally be a bit more lax. (which is why Economics has consistently high scaling)

Legal Studies:
    For prelims level it's safer to take a similar route as making notes for Business Studies/Eco, since there can be a large variation on how schools set their exams. For HSC level due to the structure of the exam there can be a specific way you make notes in order to save time. I think it's easier if I quickly outline the structure of the HSC exam.
    Multiple Choice - 20 marks, consists of HR and Crime
    Short answers - 15 marks, consists of HR
    15 mark extended response - Crime
    2 25 mark extended responses - options

Ok, so in order to maximise efficiency there can be certain ways you can structure your notes. The structuring of your Crime notes will be similar in the structuring of your Business Studies notes, however since there are no short answers you can general be more lax on dotpoints which will never be asked in extended responses (such as the first subtopic as an example). For the dotpoints where you believe there is a high possibility that you would use in an extended response here is the structure you should follow (on top of the information you already have to cover multiple choice level questions):
    - The definition of the concept and how it impacts the criminal justice system.
    - The legislation surrounding the concept and general knowledge on what this legislation does, as well as reforms.
    - 2+ pieces of LCMR which act as evidence to creates a solid analysis on the effectiveness of the dotpoint.

For your Human Rights notes, since it only consists of multiple choice questions and short answers there can be less emphasis on providing LCMR (this doesn't mean you should omit it altogether). Generally follow the steps as you would for the Business Studies/Economics note making route and you should be fine. There are certain dotpoint questions which scream out "high tier short answer" *ahem* Charter of Rights and contemporary issues *ahem* and in them make sure you provide enough information to cover an 8 mark question (even 10 for contemps since i've seen one with that much of a mark in trials)

For options, since there are no multiple choice/short answers there isn't too much need to cover it like in Business Studies/Economics, instead, information like this would be suffice.
    - The definition of the concept and how it impacts said option.
    - The legislation surrounding the concept and general knowledge on what this legislation does, as well as reforms (for options I can assure you that there a tonne of reforms you will need to cover).
    - 3-4+ pieces of LCMR which act as evidence to creates a solid analysis on the effectiveness of the dotpoint. (since the marks are out of 25 you need at least this amount of LCMR to holistically analyse the dotpoints and answer the question to achieve A range marks)

Some would argue that you don't need to add the first subtopics of the options if you don't want to. (all questions asked in every HSC and trial paper for options hasn't directly covered this part of the syllabus, plus since there are two options on the odd chance if you are asked one which covers that subtopic, you can always choose the other one) If you don't feel lucky just cover it as well. By creating notes like this you will have creates and refined them to better answer extended responses questions while avoiding unnecessary information (therefore more efficient if you end up cramming)

(Note that this form of note taking is if you want to save as much time as possible. For the options, you can still make notes like you would for crime if you want a better general knowledge)

I hope the above helps. Here are some links that may help people for Eco/Legal/Business in the senior years.

http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ps-317774.html

http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ce-317782.html (Made by iJimmy :P )

http://community.boredofstudies.org/...mr-317818.html

http://community.boredofstudies.org/...on-228940.html

Good luck
    Last edited by Examine; 18 Jan 2014 at 5:47 PM.
    enoilgam, strawberrye and iJimmy like this.

cindy is such a bitch
    HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Examine View Post
    I can provide information for Legal, Business and Economics on this. (Mei I hope you don't mind hahah)

Business Studies and Economics:
    Business Studies and Economics follow a common method in making notes. The bare basic steps to making notes for these subjects is to:
    - Introduce the concept and elaborate upon it (provide enough information to cover an 3-4 mark question). During this time try to synthesis this information in your own words since it'll help in understanding the dotpoint rather than just rote learning it.
    - Define all relevant terms (to cover the define questions as well as give you some base knowledge for extended responses)
    - Cover relevant formula.
    ^ By just covering these you should already have enough knowledge to deal with Multiple Choice questions and low/mid tier short answer questions. Now after doing this it's time to exercise Social Science common sense. By seeing the dotpoints you should be able to have a general recognition on the limitations each dotpoint has. For example, there are some dotpoints where you can tell after going through the textbook and using your own reasoning that BoS can simply not ask a question beyond a mid tier short answer question for said dotpoints. These will be the dotpoints that you can generally leave at the form stated above. However, there are other dotpoints which can be potential high tier short answer questions and a significant part of extended responses. For these dotpoints, cover enough information so that you will be able to comfortably answer a high tier (5+ marks) short answer question). Also with these sections make sure to integrate case studies for Business Studies (It's actually a good idea to do this for mid tier short answer questions as well since nowadays they can ask for contemporary examples in short answer questions) and data and trends for Economics.

As I touched a bit on in the last sentence, the main difference between making Economics notes and Business Studies notes is your coverage of data and case studies. For Business Studies, in section IV it is essential that you integrate case studies into your response, so therefore it is essential that you also integrate case studies in your notes or make separate notes for case studies. More information on how to collect case study information can be found in this thread. http://community.boredofstudies.org/...on-228940.html For Economics, in your extended responses there may be a need to integrate data and trends into your answers, so be sure to add them in your notes as well. This also includes specific policies that have been implemented by the Australian government over the years in order to achieve their economic objectives (a policies question has been asked nearly every year for the HSC for Eco). The other main difference is for Economics you will need to provide more of the "high tier" short answer question information since nearly every dotpoint can be a potential extended response while for Business you can generally be a bit more lax. (which is why Economics has consistently high scaling)

Legal Studies:
    For prelims level it's safer to take a similar route as making notes for Business Studies/Eco, since there can be a large variation on how schools set their exams. For HSC level due to the structure of the exam there can be a specific way you make notes in order to save time. I think it's easier if I quickly outline the structure of the HSC exam.
    Multiple Choice - 20 marks, consists of HR and Crime
    Short answers - 15 marks, consists of HR
    15 mark extended response - Crime
    2 25 mark extended responses - options

Ok, so in order to maximise efficiency there can be certain ways you can structure your notes. The structuring of your Crime notes will be similar in the structuring of your Business Studies notes, however since there are no short answers you can general be more lax on dotpoints which will never be asked in extended responses (such as the first subtopic as an example). For the dotpoints where you believe there is a high possibility that you would use in an extended response here is the structure you should follow (on top of the information you already have to cover multiple choice level questions):
    - The definition of the concept and how it impacts the criminal justice system.
    - The legislation surrounding the concept and general knowledge on what this legislation does, as well as reforms.
    - 2+ pieces of LCMR which act as evidence to creates a solid analysis on the effectiveness of the dotpoint.

For your Human Rights notes, since it only consists of multiple choice questions and short answers there can be less emphasis on providing LCMR (this doesn't mean you should omit it altogether). Generally follow the steps as you would for the Business Studies/Economics note making route and you should be fine. There are certain dotpoint questions which scream out "high tier short answer" *ahem* Charter of Rights and contemporary issues *ahem* and in them make sure you provide enough information to cover an 8 mark question (even 10 for contemps since i've seen one with that much of a mark in trials)

For options, since there are no multiple choice/short answers there isn't too much need to cover it like in Business Studies/Economics, instead, information like this would be suffice.
    - The definition of the concept and how it impacts said option.
    - The legislation surrounding the concept and general knowledge on what this legislation does, as well as reforms (for options I can assure you that there a tonne of reforms you will need to cover).
    - 3-4+ pieces of LCMR which act as evidence to creates a solid analysis on the effectiveness of the dotpoint. (since the marks are out of 25 you need at least this amount of LCMR to holistically analyse the dotpoints and answer the question to achieve A range marks)

Some would argue that you don't need to add the first subtopics of the options if you don't want to. (all questions asked in every HSC and trial paper for options hasn't directly covered this part of the syllabus, plus since there are two options on the odd chance if you are asked one which covers that subtopic, you can always choose the other one) If you don't feel lucky just cover it as well. By creating notes like this you will have creates and refined them to better answer extended responses questions while avoiding unnecessary information (therefore more efficient if you end up cramming)

(Note that this form of note taking is if you want to save as much time as possible. For the options, you can still make notes like you would for crime if you want a better general knowledge)

I hope the above helps. Here are some links that may help people for Eco/Legal/Business in the senior years.

http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ps-317774.html

http://community.boredofstudies.org/...mr-317818.html

http://community.boredofstudies.org/...on-228940.html

Good luck
    So so helpful. Thanks examine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk:

Preliminary HSC '14- Subjects: 2U Maths, Adv. English, Business Studies, Legal Studies,
    Economics, Agriculture.

HSC '15- ATAR Goal: 90+
    Quote Originally Posted by RivalryofTroll View Post
    As long as you get into UNSW Commerce, you will not be disowned.
    Preliminary HSC - 2014 HSC - 2015

ATAR Aim - 93+ (will be content with 92.something)

HSC
    Uni Grad

Thank you so much Examine for contributing to my guide!-this is a shout out to other HSC graduates-if there is any study tips you could like to share or you have any tips on subjects not already covered in this guide-please feel free to contribute-it is through your contributions that can we make this guide the best that it can ever be!

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Examine View Post

Haha

Everything for the Lord timeslowsdown's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Hi Mei, just want to say this guide is absolutely amazing! You're doing a huge service by using your time to help others. We need more people like you! All the best in your future endeavours

Dont.msg.me.about.english nerdasdasd's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to excel in senior year studies(yr...

Everyone is so helpful here ^^, bah, so much has been said (I think my tips have already been covered).

Good work Mei for starting the initiative, and to everyone for posting!
    hit patel likes this.
    HSC PAPERS >>http://sdrv.ms/H3cL7l
    2013 HSC papers >> http://sdrv.ms/H3cOQk
    HSC NOTES >> http://sdrv.ms/GXNPyo
    PHYSICS MC and ANSWERS >> http://sdrv.ms/H3da9C
    PHYSICS CORE OPTIONS HARD TEST (with solutions)>> http://sdrv.ms/GXNTOQ
    Sorted HSC Q's >> https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cls...ns_%2B_options

HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to excel in senior year studies(yr...

Quote Originally Posted by timeslowsdown View Post
    Hi Mei, just want to say this guide is absolutely amazing! You're doing a huge service by using your time to help others. We need more people like you! All the best in your future endeavours
    You are absolutely amazing yourself-all the best in your future endeavours as well-I am just a part of the countless individuals on BOS who have devoted their spare time to assisting others, I would not say my service as 'huge' but rather as 'a small part' to contributing to the usefulness and relevance of BOS forum posts to contemporary HSC/senior study concerns Please feel free to contribute if you felt I have missed anything-I am sure there are plenty of things that can be added to enhance this guide

Quote Originally Posted by nerdasdasd View Post
    Everyone is so helpful here ^^, bah, so much has been said (I think my tips have already been covered).

Good work Mei for starting the initiative, and to everyone for posting!
    I am sure you will find some more tips to contribute-study methods are unique to everyone, and it is impossible to cover them all Thanks for the compliment, however, I need to give a shout out to Hawkrider who actually encouraged me to start a guide like this-so thank you Hawkrider!
    hawkrider and iJimmy like this.

HSC
    N/A

this thread has all the questions of a prelim student answered in thorough detail and i can't believe Mei and everyone else contributing put in there time and dedication to help others, really appreciative and thankful. Also printed out all the posts by Strawberrye and Examine and stuck them on the wall. haha, thanks so much

HSC
    Uni Grad

Is there some way to improve on my essay skills or english related skills besides writing essays and having a harsh marker?
    Preliminaries : Advance English| Mathematics | Chemistry | Physics | Maths Extension 1
    HSC: Advance English |Mathematics | Chemistry | Physics | Maths Extension 1
    HSC: 2015
    Atar aim: 95+
    Never EVER put someone down for their achievement. They worked too hard to get there and you have no right to say they didn't deserve it.
    Work Hard. Dominate Humbly.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by lilcutetricker View Post
    Is there some way to improve on my essay skills or english related skills besides writing essays and having a harsh marker?
    What specific English skills do you wish to develop? Have a look at the threads below
    Vocabulary (improving/expanding your English vocabulary)
    Advanced English Essay Writing Guide (Advanced English essay writing guide)
    http://community.boredofstudies.org/...e-writing.html (guide to improving creative writing)

Hope this helps, essentially the best way to improve your English skills is to practice and to develop a passion for English-by reading more widely, by writing more, by thinking creatively and critically on a consistent basis, your skills will definitely improve-but CONSISTENT EFFORT over time is crucial to improving in anything-including English Hope this helps-any more questions, feel free to ask

HSC

My top tips on how to STUDY during the school term

1)I would assign at least 90 minutes of rest after school-so it is like 30 minutes for afternoon tea and 1 hour for dinner, I would make a to-do list of all the things I needed to do that day-preparation for assessment, homework and study(extra questions), it is usually on the subjects I do on school that day-and the list is always slightly longer than realistically what I can achieve-because I want to push myself to maximise my time efficiency

This is great advice, but how often do you suggest students in yr 11 should study per week, and for how long should each study session take?
    your advice would be much appreciated

Dont.msg.me.about.english nerdasdasd's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to excel in senior year studies(yr...

Quote Originally Posted by grace_26 View Post

1)I would assign at least 90 minutes of rest after school-so it is like 30 minutes for afternoon tea and 1 hour for dinner, I would make a to-do list of all the things I needed to do that day-preparation for assessment, homework and study(extra questions), it is usually on the subjects I do on school that day-and the list is always slightly longer than realistically what I can achieve-because I want to push myself to maximise my time efficiency

This is great advice, but how often do you suggest students in yr 11 should study per week, and for how long should each study session take?
    20 hours should be fine .

Blocks of two or three hours are more efficient as , if you go past that you will be tired and lethargic..
    HSC PAPERS >>http://sdrv.ms/H3cL7l
    2013 HSC papers >> http://sdrv.ms/H3cOQk
    HSC NOTES >> http://sdrv.ms/GXNPyo
    PHYSICS MC and ANSWERS >> http://sdrv.ms/H3da9C
    PHYSICS CORE OPTIONS HARD TEST (with solutions)>> http://sdrv.ms/GXNTOQ
    Sorted HSC Q's >> https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cls...ns_%2B_options

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by grace_26 View Post

I actually followed the same study pattern throughout all of my years at high school, particularly strictly followed it during my senior years, so all of my study tips applies equally to Preliminary and HSC study patterns. How long each study session takes will depend on how long your concentration span is and the task(s) you are planning on completing, usually 45 minute-1 hour study sessions are ideal concentration span.

I really can't suggest you a definitive time of how many hours students in year 11 should study-it depends on their extra-curricular commitments, how quickly they absorb new information, any tutoring engagements and just how well they want to do in school, but I would say as a rough guide, about 2-3 hours per weekday, and 5-6 hours per day on the weekends if possible, so you are looking at around 20 hours a week of study minimum, but again, I am sure there will be a much heated debate about how it is the QUALITY of study sessions and not the QUANTITY that matters, I just suggested what I personally found worked for me, so by all means, you don't need to study as much and you can get the same or even better results by adopting a study method and schedule that is optimal for you.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by strawberrye; 20 Jan 2014 at 3:07 PM.

HSC
    This thread is heaven sent, best thing I've read on BOS
    HSC 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Kiraken View Post
    i am not moist

Bachelor of Law/ Bachelor of International Studies @ Macquarie University (GLEP Program)

:{)

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by justem View Post
    This thread is heaven sent, best thing I've read on BOS
    Thanks for the compliment-you are too kind. Remember guys and girls, if you have any questions on studying for senior years, whether it be general or subject specific, feel free to ask
    Offering personalised tutoring: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...g-classifieds/

HSC

Strawberrye, you are probably one of the most awesome posters on this site, I don't think I have seen you do one post that has no meaning or importance, or is helpful in some way! Thanks so much for the info and encouragement! Good luck for your post-school life

This quote of yours - "DEFINE your own results, don't let your results DEFINE you" - sticks in my head now, and its truly good advice. I think I will make it my guiding quote for my HSC year

Thanks again - you deserve to be made supreme moderator!
    Last edited by DanS; 31 Jan 2014 at 1:32 PM. Reason: Sphellink
    Dan

English Standard │ Modern History │ Mathematics │ Legal Studies │ Financial Services Cert 3 │ Metal & Engineering

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by DanS View Post
    Strawberrye, you are probably one of the most awesome posters on this site, I don't think I have seen you do one post that has no meaning or importance, or is helpful in some way! Thanks so much for the info and encouragement! Good luck for your post-school life

This quote of yours - "DEFINE your own results, don't let your results DEFINE you" - sticks in my head now, and its truly good advice. I think I will make it my guiding quote for my HSC year

Thanks again - you deserve to be made supreme moderator!
    Technically, university is just another form of school-so I am still going to be a 'school' student in this sense-since within both high school and university the main aim is education to empower the individuals to have more choices to shape the future they desire. I never knew I would be inspirational-thanks for the praise. Thank you for your kind wishesI feel truly humbled by your kind comments. I am not even a moderator yet-have a very long way to go if I were to be a supreme moderator. If you have any questions throughout this year, please feel free to ask-all the best

HSC

What do you actually define as 'study time'? Lately I find all I have time for is assessment tasks and nothing else. Half yearlies are coming up, too, so it's quite concerning that this is happening. How can I ensure I am prepared for exams properly?
    can u not

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    What do you actually define as 'study time'? Lately I find all I have time for is assessment tasks and nothing else. Half yearlies are coming up, too, so it's quite concerning that this is happening. How can I ensure I am prepared for exams properly?
    I define study time as consolidating content learnt through practising questions that is not assigned homework, it is normal to feel like you only have time to be prepared for assessment tasks and little else, perhaps elaborating on when your exams are and how you have progressed towards each subject exam/assessment task would enable me to make more specific suggestions on how you can spent your remaining time in the most effective way. To ensure you prepare for exams properly, you need to make sure you have a solid understanding of syllabus dot points and the INTERCONNECTIONS between these syllabus dot points, you need to be doing PAST PAPERS under EXAM CONDITIONS and mark your own paper or get a teacher to mark it, and you need to consistently evaluate your past and present mistakes to minimise your chance of not making the same mistakes, and you need to practice exam time management as well to ensure you know how to manage exam nerves. Hope this helps a bit

HSC

Thanks. What about motivation? I have minimal motivation for english since when it comes to english my brain freezes

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Fade Away View Post
    Thanks. What about motivation? I have minimal motivation for english since when it comes to english my brain freezes
    Can you elaborate a bit more? Why have you developed such an attitude towards English? What part of English does your brain freezes-when you have to do essay writing/creative writing? What English modules are you studying this year?

HSC

I want to do summaries for all my subjects but how do I do them for Visual Arts?

HSC

How do you write notes for physics. Like I do notes of the syllabus then I do dot point physics questions then I do practice exams. Is that the right way

HSC 2015- Goal:90+ ATAR

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information