Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 328
Like Tree279Likes

Thread: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)-99+ ATAR graduate

  1. #101
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to excel in senior year studies(yr 11/

    Quote Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to reply! Since typing the post it's safe to say I have almost completely come to terms with my results in that particular subject. I've recently received my my report and found I've actually improved all of my subjects -- all within the top ten -- with the exception of two. I dropped two rankings in one subject (luckily still in the top five) and of course there's the ranked 30th something subject. So it's actually not that bad, in fact better than expected (I literally thought it was going to be the end of me) but no doubt about it, it can definitely be better.

    I will work harder from now on to ensure achieving my usual results in the rest of the assessments.
    Hopefully I will have some good news to share in the upcoming future!

    Thanks once again Mei!
    Hi Constantine,

    I have said this many times before, and I will say it once again-don't worry too much about rankings-sometimes your marks are a much better indicator of your results. Good effort on improving in all your subjects-keep the good work up. Always think positive. Thanks for sharing with me your current progress-I have faith you will achieve your maximum academic potential if you continue to work hard

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLighte View Post
    Whenever I feel lacking of motivation I keep coming back to this thread. I read it over and over and somehow it manages to motivate and inspire me to study every time. Though I don't know how, I'm really thankful it exists.

    Thank you Mei ^_^
    I feel deeply honoured-very happy to hear this. Your message warmed my heart-I am thankful for your reply of appreciation-I am really thankful this thread is helping people I wish you all the very best in your HSC studies
    Last edited by strawberrye; 18 Apr 2014 at 11:51 PM.

  2. #102
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Quote Originally Posted by itsBozza View Post
    Hey Mei, i apologise if this question has been answered before. Our half yearly's aren't far away so can you tell us how to deal with large amounts of pressure and stress especially for those who go to tutors as my parents are expecting good results. i currently try to study everyday ever since the the holiday started but im not too sure if im wasting my time,i wrote some notes for economics, doing some questions i found in the text book for chemistry and maths, however physics i tend to look tutorials online and read from a text book. For english my teacher send us a sample essay question which i already done but im not too sure if its good enough but i sent it to her through email and is waiting for feedback. any advice and i would be extremely grateful for your time
    There is no need to apologise-You learn by asking questions. I would think that people who go to tutors would have less pressure and stress rather than more. However I will just give you some advice specific to the circumstances you have disclosed.

    1)Our half yearly's aren't far away so can you tell us how to deal with large amounts of pressure and stress especially for those who go to tutors as my parents are expecting good results.

    It is difficult to give one a definitive list or procedure of how to deal with pressure and stress because it depends on the individual, pressure and stress comes from many different sources, sometimes it may not just be academic, but encompasses familial, personal or peer expectations as well as a lot of other dependent factors. However, you need to remember that although your parents are expecting good results, you need to make sure they have a realistic expectation of you. You need to study hard to ensure you achieve good results for YOURSELF. Don't add too much pressure from external expectations because excessive stress can cripple your performance (something I learnt in my external HSC exams-I took on too much responsibility and felt far too stressed because everyone had extremely high expectations of me and I didn't do as well as I could have liked to-even though I have given it my very best shot).

    Some general tips for dealing with ACADEMIC pressures and stress
    1)Identify the source(s) of stress and classify it as short term/long term
    2)Perhaps brainstorm the positive and negative effects of the stress source on your physical and psychological health(quickly jot down a few words on a piece of paper).
    3)Make sure you identify people-i.e. your parents and teachers who can help you alleviate such pressure-i.e. by reducing your housework chores or answering any questions you may have. Also make sure you stay connected with your friends-they will be the best source of motivation in exam times.
    4)It is essential to make a to-do list/study timetable of some sort to organise your time properly so you don't waste time thinking about how you are going to spend time, but rather you will be doing things that will be reducing your stress and assisting you to consolidate your knowledge based on what you have studied so far.

    What you have done sounds fine-but I highly recommend you to do some past papers-if you can get your hands on any past school papers of your school on the relevant subjects, this would be ideal-and do it under exam conditions-this would give you a realistic understanding of how you will be performing. I think if you want quicker feedback for your English essay, you can possibly ask people on bored of studies to give you some comments. What textbooks are you using for chemistry and maths?

    When are your half yearlies? Just make sure you plan well, take care of your body and stay FOCUSED and DETERMINED-and you will be fine. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask

  3. #103
    New Member itsBozza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrye View Post
    There is no need to apologise-You learn by asking questions. I would think that people who go to tutors would have less pressure and stress rather than more. However I will just give you some advice specific to the circumstances you have disclosed.

    1)Our half yearly's aren't far away so can you tell us how to deal with large amounts of pressure and stress especially for those who go to tutors as my parents are expecting good results.

    It is difficult to give one a definitive list or procedure of how to deal with pressure and stress because it depends on the individual, pressure and stress comes from many different sources, sometimes it may not just be academic, but encompasses familial, personal or peer expectations as well as a lot of other dependent factors. However, you need to remember that although your parents are expecting good results, you need to make sure they have a realistic expectation of you. You need to study hard to ensure you achieve good results for YOURSELF. Don't add too much pressure from external expectations because excessive stress can cripple your performance (something I learnt in my external HSC exams-I took on too much responsibility and felt far too stressed because everyone had extremely high expectations of me and I didn't do as well as I could have liked to-even though I have given it my very best shot).

    Some general tips for dealing with ACADEMIC pressures and stress
    1)Identify the source(s) of stress and classify it as short term/long term
    2)Perhaps brainstorm the positive and negative effects of the stress source on your physical and psychological health(quickly jot down a few words on a piece of paper).
    3)Make sure you identify people-i.e. your parents and teachers who can help you alleviate such pressure-i.e. by reducing your housework chores or answering any questions you may have. Also make sure you stay connected with your friends-they will be the best source of motivation in exam times.
    4)It is essential to make a to-do list/study timetable of some sort to organise your time properly so you don't waste time thinking about how you are going to spend time, but rather you will be doing things that will be reducing your stress and assisting you to consolidate your knowledge based on what you have studied so far.

    What you have done sounds fine-but I highly recommend you to do some past papers-if you can get your hands on any past school papers of your school on the relevant subjects, this would be ideal-and do it under exam conditions-this would give you a realistic understanding of how you will be performing. I think if you want quicker feedback for your English essay, you can possibly ask people on bored of studies to give you some comments. What textbooks are you using for chemistry and maths?

    When are your half yearlies? Just make sure you plan well, take care of your body and stay FOCUSED and DETERMINED-and you will be fine. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask
    Thank you mei my half yearly on the first week back and the rest are week 2 i think.

  4. #104
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    As a result of having received numerous PMs and emails about this, I thought a short section on how I deal with marks I wasn't very happy with throughout the year and used these marks as motivation to help me keep going. Could be a good motivational boost for those of you who may feel a bit low about your half yearly results.

    WHAT TO DO WHEN YOUR MARKS/ASSESSMENT RESULTS AREN'T WHAT YOU HAD HOPED BEFORE
    Although the majority of my assessment marks were moderately good, there were times which I had 'failed' certain assessment tasks and didn't achieve as good a result as I could like. There are various examples which I can extract from my senior studies and which may be familiar to some BOSers already

    My experiences:
    1. First was a maths extension one test I had on inequalities in year 11, where I got less than 50% for the test-where the average was around 50%-(although there were various personal circumstances pertaining to my poor performance, needless to say, I had failed very badly in getting below average where I had been in the past the consistent top 5 of my maths cohort all throughout my high school years-albeit in a low ranking school).

    2. Second was when I failed a chemistry practical assessment in year 12. It was a shocking blow-since the assessment occurred in the later half of the year, having came first in all my other assessments so far that year, you could imagine my horror in knowing that the mark I got placed me in the bottom half of my chemistry cohort. Beyond the fear for my internal rankings and ATAR was an intrinsic fear against failure-failure that I couldn't keep up with my own expectations as well as adhere to the expectations of others.

    3. Third instance was in year 11, where I had failed to attain full marks for an essay writing assessment because my hand writing was illegible and the teacher deducted marks as a result of needing to have me to read the essay aloud to her. The illegibility of my hand writing in the past had been a problem that plagued me all throughout my senior study years-and it was constantly commented upon by those who marked my English papers as well as my science papers. It was a difficult blow, since it was something I felt I could not change-since I felt writing more/writing faster was a sort of expression of the additional effort I was willing to put into my exam to demonstrate my full commitment to doing my very best every single time. Whenever I hear these teachers giving lectures on students with illegible hand writing are disrespecting their studies-and I was fully aware they were only probably referring to me, whenever I was often the only person in the class whose paper was withheld from disclosure of exam results because of teachers not being able to read my hand writing. Although I greatly appreciated how understanding and sympathetic my teachers was, it was a problem that involved me shedding much tears and frustration(I literally tried all possible approaches to improve the legibility of my hand writing-to no avail).

    My top tips to handle these situations:
    1. Cry, express your emotions/frustrations, you need to have some sort of release of emotions about your marks if possible-it might be through engaging in a sport or talking to a friend, do what you need to do to let those emotions run out.

    2. Look at the exam paper/assessment objectively, look at the marking criteria, force yourself to read through the teacher's comments and make sure you understand each comment. Understand what your mistakes are, accept them, and learn and remember to avoid making those SAME mistakes the next time around(whether it be your exam preparation method, exam techniques and what not).

    3)Under no circumstances should you engage in a comparison of your academic potential or results in relation to other people-it is fruitless, it is futile, it is not fun.

    4)Renew your academic efforts with greater rigour, greater determination to focus on your goals and persevere till the end, Convince yourself that doing poorly in one assessment tasks is not the end of the world. This is a well known secret-the top students in your grade, regardless of what school you go to, is often differentiated by their great psychological resilience to keep going and keep performing despite possibly receiving a bad result or two that you may not know about.

    5)It is very important at the end of the day you see everything as a learning experience, see HSC, your preliminary years, as an opportunity to grow, to extend your capabilities, to realise your academic potentials, to test your time management skills, and to develop your interpersonal connections and associations. Keep a balance in life, keep things in perspective, and keep a sense of optimism to motivate yourself to not give up, despite all odds and adversities, until the very last second.

    My best wishes for all who read my senior study guide to achieve their full academic potential
    Last edited by strawberrye; 26 Apr 2014 at 12:17 AM.

  5. #105
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to excel in senior year studies(yr 11/

    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrye View Post
    If you have any questions about senior studies-don't hesitate to reply to this thread and ask-I will reply as soon as possible
    i think you have a lot of great advice but what do i do if, i do want to do well but everytime i try to sit down and study i just can' do it, i hate it, it is so boring, i was wondering if there is a way to make it more fun or interesting to do or if there is a way to just force myself to do it?

  6. #106
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to excel in senior year studies(yr 11/

    Quote Originally Posted by alexis View Post
    i think you have a lot of great advice but what do i do if, i do want to do well but everytime i try to sit down and study i just can' do it, i hate it, it is so boring, i was wondering if there is a way to make it more fun or interesting to do or if there is a way to just force myself to do it?
    Perhaps you need to be a bit more specific about your goals, for example, what is your ATAR goal, what sort of university courses or what uni you wish to attend? You need to find an intrinsic source of motivation-something that you want to strive for personally, not just because everyone tells you you should strive for that particular thing. You also need to identify what exactly do you hate about study, do you hate studying alone?-perhaps try to study with people of SIMILAR INTELLECTUAL ABILITIES, do you dislike your studying environment-i.e. you have ready access to technology which makes you very easily distracted?-perhaps try turning off the modem or phone for a while and work-and use surfing the internet as a kind of reward. Also consider just how strong your determination is-studying is a serious marathon, and if you don't have enough determination, you won't be able to find enough passion to persevere through-talk to your parents and friends-see what things they can do to assist you, if you have a short attention span, why not try to teach the content to your friends? If you hate the subjects-or the teachers, perhaps try to find a tutor to engage you in the content, otherwise, consider that to do what you really want to do in uni, you are most likely need to get a certain ATAR, suffer through the hardships right now and you will reap the rewards later.

    Regardless of what strategy you end up taking, just remember this, you've got two years to open a new door to your future. Retrospectively, the HSC is a very important journey, beyond its academic importance, it really teaches you some valuable time management skills which are essential to survive in uni, you are merely at the start of this journey-don't give up, focus on a goal-and do everything possible to achieve it-may you have absolutely no regrets at the end of your HSC-best wishes

    Any questions, feel free to ask

  7. #107
    =o Axio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    486
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Just out of curiosity, could someone tell me how Eng Ext 1 essays are different from Eng Adv essays? As in how many words and paragraphs are they? Have many texts do you write about? Do you write in a similar style, etc?

  8. #108
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Quote Originally Posted by Axio View Post
    Just out of curiosity, could someone tell me how Eng Ext 1 essays are different from Eng Adv essays? As in how many words and paragraphs are they? Have many texts do you write about? Do you write in a similar style, etc?
    English Extension one essays usually dissects and analyses texts much deeper (in terms of concepts) than English advanced essays, because you usually have one hour to write an Ext 1 essay compared to around 40 minutes for an English Advanced. The number of paragraphs and words will depend on your module and also on your preferred essay structure, but as a very general guideline, a normal English essay is around 1000-1200 words, while an English extension one-typically around the 1400-1600 mark, but at the end of the day the most important thing is to make sure you answer the given essay question and nothing but the given essay question.

    The number of texts you write about again depends on your particular module and how many related text is specified by the essay question. The writing is not exactly very similar because since Extension english is one module for the whole year, so you have to go a lot deeper into the textual analysis and sometimes depending on the nature of your module, you have to do a lot of analysis by your self because there simply may not be resources available. I think I will be able to offer you more conclusive advice if you inform me what module your school studies for Extension English(whether it is year 11/year 12) and how many prescribed and related texts you are expected to have. Hope this helps a bit
    Axio likes this.

  9. #109
    Junior Member Constantine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Land Down Under
    Posts
    155
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Heyys Mei!
    I'm back again and this time with some questions for English.
    Right now I'm doing my critical study on speeches and since I saw you answering some questions in this field I thought I would drop by and ask for some advice.

    Can you please tell me how to prove a speech has achieved textual integrity? I have a general idea of what it means but how should I put it out in an essay in a way that it doesn't feel like I just chucked the term in there for the sake of it?

    Also what would be a good way to structure this essay?
    I've heard many versions and I'm leaning towards my own structure which is one paragraph on a speech's background information followed by another of the speech's analysis.

    Thanks once again!
    2 O 1 4 : H S C (ATAR: 97.05) / / 2 O 1 5 : Business/Law at UTS
    Eng Ext. | History Ext. | Economics | Business Studies | Legal Studies

    PERSONAL PROMO: Tuition | Starting at $40/hr
    English Advanced(93), Ext (47), Bussiness (93), Economics (92), Modern History (95)
    Full access to notes and essay checks online during exam period - CLICK HERE

  10. #110
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Quote Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
    Heyys Mei!
    I'm back again and this time with some questions for English.
    Right now I'm doing my critical study on speeches and since I saw you answering some questions in this field I thought I would drop by and ask for some advice.

    Can you please tell me how to prove a speech has achieved textual integrity? I have a general idea of what it means but how should I put it out in an essay in a way that it doesn't feel like I just chucked the term in there for the sake of it?

    Also what would be a good way to structure this essay?
    I've heard many versions and I'm leaning towards my own structure which is one paragraph on a speech's background information followed by another of the speech's analysis.

    Thanks once again!
    Firstly, you don't really need to prove a speech has textual integrity, rather, you have to analyse the speech with textual integrity-you will realise this fine distinction if you analyse the rubric closely enough. Hence, to demonstrate textual integrity in your writing, you need to make sure you are exploring themes that are in the entire speech rather than just a small part, for example, within Faith Bandler's speech, there was a paragraph on the homeless and basically on the plight of the marginalised on a global scale, but that is not the main thematic concern of the speech-which is essentially fighting for equality for Indigenous Australians, if you had extracted the thematic concern of the speech as helping marginalised on a global scale-that would be obscure and lack textual integrity. A speech usually achieves textual integrity by exploring themes that are relevant to the audience/context of their time-appealing to this specific group using particular rhetorical techniques, judicious rhetorical structure and universal/contextual concerns.

    Please don't chuck in textual integrity for the sake of it-you really need to use it in a significant way for it to be able to enhance your marks. I highly recommend you against the one paragraph on a speech's background information and analysis-because the paragraph on background information wouldn't answer the question closely, you should integrate it. Depending on the essay question, you should always follow a four paragraph structure, idea 1-speech 1, speech 2, idea 2-speech 1, speech 2 -these ideas can be contrasted/similar in the speeches you select. Hope this helps
    notthistime likes this.

  11. #111
    Junior Member Constantine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Land Down Under
    Posts
    155
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Heyys Mei!

    Back once again. Just want to say thanks for your reply and it has helped me tremendously.
    I've since received my results - third in the grade (of course, shared with a few other students) so thank you for your advice!

    ps. unfortunately I decided not to follow the paragraph setting you recommended me and went with the one paragraph on context and another on the analysis and when I got the feedback the teacher wrote exactly what you said. i.e. one paragraph on a speech's background information and another on analysis does not answer the question closely and for that I lost some marks.

    let this be a lesson ahahaha.

    Thank you once again!

  12. #112
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Quote Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
    Heyys Mei!

    Back once again. Just want to say thanks for your reply and it has helped me tremendously.
    I've since received my results - third in the grade (of course, shared with a few other students) so thank you for your advice!

    ps. unfortunately I decided not to follow the paragraph setting you recommended me and went with the one paragraph on context and another on the analysis and when I got the feedback the teacher wrote exactly what you said. i.e. one paragraph on a speech's background information and another on analysis does not answer the question closely and for that I lost some marks.

    let this be a lesson ahahaha.

    Thank you once again!
    Thank you for saying thank you Glad to know you got a result you are happy with (My advice does have some credibility-since I am tutoring English after all)-just make sure you improve your essay structure and you will go a long way-may you achieve your HSC goals-if you have any questions any time, feel free to ask

  13. #113
    rainbow burrito Simplice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The ocean at the end of the lane
    Posts
    37
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Hey, I was just wondering if you had any tips on time management, studying smarter and reducing procrastination?
    I feel as if making syllabus dot point notes take up a significant portion of my time, leaving me with little-to-no time to actually revise and go over concepts in depth. And I've sort of fallen into a procrastination rut - it's not terribly bad, but previously I used to be very disciplined and now I can get distracted easily. :/
    a r t s / l a w @ u s y d ( I )
    government and international relations + english

    "plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.''

  14. #114
    Dont.msg.me.about.english nerdasdasd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    HSC
    2012
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    5,403
    Rep Power
    10

    How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Quote Originally Posted by Simplice View Post
    Hey, I was just wondering if you had any tips on time management, studying smarter and reducing procrastination?
    I feel as if making syllabus dot point notes take up a significant portion of my time, leaving me with little-to-no time to actually revise and go over concepts in depth. And I've sort of fallen into a procrastination rut - it's not terribly bad, but previously I used to be very disciplined and now I can get distracted easily. :/
    What I did was only just do papers .... I didn't make notes

    You learn through application, not reading

    It's like maths , you can read all you want, but you won't know how to tackle some things
    HSC PAPERS >>http://sdrv.ms/H3cL7l
    2013 HSC papers >> http://sdrv.ms/H3cOQk
    HSC NOTES >> http://sdrv.ms/GXNPyo
    PHYSICS MC and ANSWERS >> http://sdrv.ms/H3da9C
    PHYSICS CORE OPTIONS HARD TEST (with solutions)>> http://sdrv.ms/GXNTOQ
    Sorted HSC Q's >> https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cls...ns_%2B_options

  15. #115
    rainbow burrito Simplice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The ocean at the end of the lane
    Posts
    37
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    I don't make notes for maths or English...but for more content heavy subjects like Bio, Chem and Modern? I feel like I need a good grasp on the concepts in order to churn out a decent answer for long response questions. Just wish there was a way to do that more efficiently..
    a r t s / l a w @ u s y d ( I )
    government and international relations + english

    "plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.''

  16. #116
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Quote Originally Posted by Simplice View Post
    Hey, I was just wondering if you had any tips on time management, studying smarter and reducing procrastination?
    I feel as if making syllabus dot point notes take up a significant portion of my time, leaving me with little-to-no time to actually revise and go over concepts in depth. And I've sort of fallen into a procrastination rut - it's not terribly bad, but previously I used to be very disciplined and now I can get distracted easily. :/
    Hi Simplice, I understand where you are coming from, I for one didn't really spent much of my study time making up dot point notes, at least, not trying to make the 'perfect' set of dot point notes, because for me, it was not an efficient way to study. I often studied better by writing hand written summarised notes on textbook (because it allowed me to gain a greater sense of how each dot point connected together and learnt knowledge as an integrated whole rather than dot point by dot point. Perhaps you could get notes from a very good student and spent time studying and applying the notes if it works better for you. I essentially have already summarised a lot of time management, studying and minimising procrastination techniques in this guide in the form of advising students how to make timetable/to-do lists and how to study efficiently for all the main subjects. However I will include some additional tips below

    TIME MANAGEMENT

    1)Make a plan and stick with it-this is essentially the golden tip to managing your time well, you need to plan your time well beforehand so you don't waste time. Time is the most precious commodity in senior study(on a literal and metaphorical level), and it is the one commodity shared by every one, regardless of their access to resources. So plan your time well and you will maximise your chance of achieving your aspirations. Perhaps you could consider joining extra-curriculars so that any time you have left to study will be used as efficiently as possible since it is likely you may adopt the mindset that "I have got only this amount of time to study, I don't have any time to waste so I must study". At least this was the mindset I am adopting when I am currently in uni and engaging in a range of extra-curriculars, I find that if you are determined enough to achieve your goals, you can do whatever you set your mind towards

    STUDYING SMARTER

    1)Identify and adopt the study method that is most suitable to you-you need to identify what type of learner you are, whether it be aural, kinaesthetic, visual and stick with it. For me, I worked well in making one page mind map summaries of entire modules-this was particularly for science subjects such as Chemistry and Physics on A3 paper-no doubt my writing was super tiny and often the summaries were double sided-but it allowed me to connect different things together and it was very helpful since I was a visual learner. For some of my subjects such as English, I would record my notes and listen to them whenever possible. You might want to pretend to explain content to the mirror as a way to absorb information, trial and error and adopt the best study method that is for you. What works for another may not necessarily work for you.

    2)Listen in class-I have already stressed this point before in my study guide, particularly in the section on tips for studying English. If you actively listen in class to what the teacher have to say and take down appropriate notes and ask questions the second you don't understand something rather than let the knowledge gaps expand, you will save a significant amount of study time. Too often I have observed people distracted with technology, whether it be social media, phones or what not rather than listening to the teacher and then complained the teacher can't teach. You must refrain from talking with your friends and really absorbing what knowledge the teacher have to disseminate to you. This will save you the time having to relearnt the content in your spare time and allow you to use your time in an efficient manner.

    3)Ask teachers questions-this is not just in a classroom context, but outside of the classroom as well, if you have any concerns about anything or if the teacher has missed any dot points, asked them to go over things they have missed or wasn't explained well, take the effort to seek for help during recess, before/after school, lunch, or if you are feeling a bit shy like me, then send emails to teachers (but make sure your teachers know you are sending an email to them and that they are the kind who respond to emails promptly). You need to actively think about the reason why you are taught these pieces of information to extend your understanding and ensure you excel in exam situation where application of knowledge is always emphasised.

    4)Understand expectations and practice under strict exam conditions-this understanding of expectations most often manifest itself in the form of reading through any marking criteria provided and ensure any assessment/assignments fulfil such criteria as closely as possible. For English, particularly at the HSC level, make sure you familiarise yourself with the demands of each rubric for each module and keep such demands in mind whenever you are writing any essays. Practising under strict exam conditions are crucial because you need to train yourself to resolve any problems under exam pressures-be strict in your marking and you will not get any surprised marks.

    REDUCING PROCRASTINATION

    1)Set goals and stick with them-essentially this might be academic or related to extra-curriculars or your health, make sure you establish realistic short term, mid term and long term goals and stick with them until you achieve them. As a part of this you will need to make a sustainable study timetable/plan of some sort to manage your time efficiently and effectively.

    2)Remove distractions-whether it be the compulsion to go on Facebook (perhaps try to log yourself out and remove the messenger app on your smartphone if you have one), removing your laptop from your sight if you don't need it, make sure that your table has only what you need and nothing what you don't need. If your study environment is noisy, perhaps try listening to some meditative/relaxing music or book a study room in a local library to study. Sometimes group studying can be an option as well-you might feel more motivated studying with friends.

    3)Self-Discipline and Determination-this last point is perhaps the most important. At the end of the day, we all procrastinate, even I am guilty of the crime. However, you must try to develop a strong sense of self-discipline in making sure you achieve your HSC goals. This means that whenever you are conscious you are procrastinating, you stop the act and go back to study. There are three to four months worth of holidays at the end of the HSC waiting for you, you will have plenty of time to rest then. To earn the break without regrets you would/should have done better, the only way is to study as hard as you can while taking care of your body at the same time.

    Hope this helps
    trungduong12 likes this.

  17. #117
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    545
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrye View Post
    Hi Simplice, I understand where you are coming from, I for one didn't really spent much of my study time making up dot point notes, at least, not trying to make the 'perfect' set of dot point notes, because for me, it was not an efficient way to study. I often studied better by writing hand written summarised notes on textbook (because it allowed me to gain a greater sense of how each dot point connected together and learnt knowledge as an integrated whole rather than dot point by dot point. Perhaps you could get notes from a very good student and spent time studying and applying the notes if it works better for you. I essentially have already summarised a lot of time management, studying and minimising procrastination techniques in this guide in the form of advising students how to make timetable/to-do lists and how to study efficiently for all the main subjects. However I will include some additional tips below

    TIME MANAGEMENT

    1)Make a plan and stick with it-this is essentially the golden tip to managing your time well, you need to plan your time well beforehand so you don't waste time. Time is the most precious commodity in senior study(on a literal and metaphorical level), and it is the one commodity shared by every one, regardless of their access to resources. So plan your time well and you will maximise your chance of achieving your aspirations. Perhaps you could consider joining extra-curriculars so that any time you have left to study will be used as efficiently as possible since it is likely you may adopt the mindset that "I have got only this amount of time to study, I don't have any time to waste so I must study". At least this was the mindset I am adopting when I am currently in uni and engaging in a range of extra-curriculars, I find that if you are determined enough to achieve your goals, you can do whatever you set your mind towards

    STUDYING SMARTER

    1)Identify and adopt the study method that is most suitable to you-you need to identify what type of learner you are, whether it be aural, kinaesthetic, visual and stick with it. For me, I worked well in making one page mind map summaries of entire modules-this was particularly for science subjects such as Chemistry and Physics on A3 paper-no doubt my writing was super tiny and often the summaries were double sided-but it allowed me to connect different things together and it was very helpful since I was a visual learner. For some of my subjects such as English, I would record my notes and listen to them whenever possible. You might want to pretend to explain content to the mirror as a way to absorb information, trial and error and adopt the best study method that is for you. What works for another may not necessarily work for you.

    2)Listen in class-I have already stressed this point before in my study guide, particularly in the section on tips for studying English. If you actively listen in class to what the teacher have to say and take down appropriate notes and ask questions the second you don't understand something rather than let the knowledge gaps expand, you will save a significant amount of study time. Too often I have observed people distracted with technology, whether it be social media, phones or what not rather than listening to the teacher and then complained the teacher can't teach. You must refrain from talking with your friends and really absorbing what knowledge the teacher have to disseminate to you. This will save you the time having to relearnt the content in your spare time and allow you to use your time in an efficient manner.

    3)Ask teachers questions-this is not just in a classroom context, but outside of the classroom as well, if you have any concerns about anything or if the teacher has missed any dot points, asked them to go over things they have missed or wasn't explained well, take the effort to seek for help during recess, before/after school, lunch, or if you are feeling a bit shy like me, then send emails to teachers (but make sure your teachers know you are sending an email to them and that they are the kind who respond to emails promptly). You need to actively think about the reason why you are taught these pieces of information to extend your understanding and ensure you excel in exam situation where application of knowledge is always emphasised.

    4)Understand expectations and practice under strict exam conditions-this understanding of expectations most often manifest itself in the form of reading through any marking criteria provided and ensure any assessment/assignments fulfil such criteria as closely as possible. For English, particularly at the HSC level, make sure you familiarise yourself with the demands of each rubric for each module and keep such demands in mind whenever you are writing any essays. Practising under strict exam conditions are crucial because you need to train yourself to resolve any problems under exam pressures-be strict in your marking and you will not get any surprised marks.

    REDUCING PROCRASTINATION

    1)Set goals and stick with them-essentially this might be academic or related to extra-curriculars or your health, make sure you establish realistic short term, mid term and long term goals and stick with them until you achieve them. As a part of this you will need to make a sustainable study timetable/plan of some sort to manage your time efficiently and effectively.

    2)Remove distractions-whether it be the compulsion to go on Facebook (perhaps try to log yourself out and remove the messenger app on your smartphone if you have one), removing your laptop from your sight if you don't need it, make sure that your table has only what you need and nothing what you don't need. If your study environment is noisy, perhaps try listening to some meditative/relaxing music or book a study room in a local library to study. Sometimes group studying can be an option as well-you might feel more motivated studying with friends.

    3)Self-Discipline and Determination-this last point is perhaps the most important. At the end of the day, we all procrastinate, even I am guilty of the crime. However, you must try to develop a strong sense of self-discipline in making sure you achieve your HSC goals. This means that whenever you are conscious you are procrastinating, you stop the act and go back to study. There are three to four months worth of holidays at the end of the HSC waiting for you, you will have plenty of time to rest then. To earn the break without regrets you would/should have done better, the only way is to study as hard as you can while taking care of your body at the same time.

    Hope this helps
    Ur awesome !!!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #118
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Quote Originally Posted by trungduong12 View Post
    Ur awesome !!!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likewise, you are too Hope your studies are going well

  19. #119
    rainbow burrito Simplice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The ocean at the end of the lane
    Posts
    37
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Thank you!!
    a r t s / l a w @ u s y d ( I )
    government and international relations + english

    "plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.''

  20. #120
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Hey mei, really helpful thread
    I was just wondering if you wouldnt mind telling me what atar you got?
    Last edited by PatHummels; 28 Jul 2014 at 12:18 AM.

  21. #121
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Quote Originally Posted by PatHummels View Post
    Hey mei, really helpful thread
    I was just wondering if you dont mind telling me what atar you got?
    she got 99+ iirc so listen to her

  22. #122
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Quote Originally Posted by PatHummels View Post
    Hey mei, really helpful thread
    I was just wondering if you wouldnt mind telling me what atar you got?
    You will find my ATAR somewhere else on BOS if you are so keen to know But the main reason I didn't disclose my ATAR in this guide is because this guide is all about equipping you with the skills you need to define your own results, and not let your results define you. To a much more important extent, I don't believe the ATAR in any way define me now as I am progressing through uni. But you can be confident you are getting top notch advice because my ATAR was 99+
    trungduong12 likes this.

  23. #123
    Retired astroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    UTS
    Posts
    7,088
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Hey Mei, is this thread still active??? If so can you suggest ways on how to improve memory for remembering essays in english and remembering which formula is used for what in physics/maths?

  24. #124
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    Quote Originally Posted by astroman View Post
    Hey Mei, is this thread still active??? If so can you suggest ways on how to improve memory for remembering essays in english and remembering which formula is used for what in physics/maths?
    Hi Astroman, hope you have been well, yes this thread is still active-given my recent post dates. For your first question, I have been asked about this quite a lot, and a reason why I haven't gone into detail in addressing this question in this thread is because a huge part of my philosophy for studying for English does not involve remembering generic essays. If you have read my English tips carefully, you will have noticed that I tend to advocate for an approach of understanding and engagement with the question rather than preparing and memorising generic essays. You could consider recording your essay and listening to it as well as reading it aloud and writing it out multiple times to assist you in remembering it if you want, but as I have said many times on this forum, you have to make sure you answer the given question and NOTHING but the given question to get the best marks possible.

    As for remembering formulas for physics and maths, you don't need to really remember formulas if you have done enough questions and you will over time, develop a sense of which formulas to use and when to use them-without a particularly devoted effort to memorising formulas-but rather concentrating your methods on applying formulas-at least that was the approach I used to take, for physics in particular, you don't really need to remember any formulas that is on the formula sheet, remembering formulas can be best done for maths/science-by writing all formulas and what the variables in the formula represent in a formula book so it makes revision that much easier where everything is in one place. Again, practising is the key to success.

    Hope this answer helps a bit in answering your questions. If you have any more queries, feel free to ask
    Last edited by strawberrye; 10 Aug 2014 at 9:14 PM.
    trungduong12 and astroman like this.

  25. #125
    Retired astroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    UTS
    Posts
    7,088
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

    thanks for the tips Mei

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •