Unit Selection (1 Viewer)

siggy

HSC
I sadly can't do the 'optimal' 12 units so what do people recommend. out of 13 vs. 11 Units? What are the pros and cons?

:thrust:

siggy

HSC
This is for HSC Year (In a few weeks now) not prelim year, sorry I should've specified. 10 is the minimum although many schools 'recommend / enforce' 12.

Also why 13 Feynman - You're in Year 10 why choose so early haha?

Axio

=o
HSC
Oh I thought you meant prelim :/. Well in that case I'd say do 11 units. What would be the 2 additional units you'd want to do?

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
I'd suggest 11 units because

1) 1 less subject to do which gives you more free periods and time to study

2) In the HSC your top 10 units are counted (I'm guessing you're doing an Extension 1 subject)

3) You won't regret it

Would you mind sharing your current ranks and subjects ?

It would be more insightful and then you will be able to be given a better response

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Would you rather have 1 or 3 units as a 'safety net', it's really about how confident you are with your subjects anyhow. Good luck!

astroman

HSC
most people pick an extra 2 units as the safety net course incase you stuff up one subject it wont ruin your atar. i therefore suggest 13

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
What subjects are you intending of thinking for selecting in year 12?

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
For me I would start at 13 units because if you're not sure which unit to drop leave it for now. If you begin struggling during the year than drop to 11 units. For me I'm picking up an extension course which would make it my 14th unit. Crazy, I know but I am going to drop one of my extension courses. I find 10 or 11 units risky because if you cannot perform very well in a subject it would still have to count towards your ATAR. If you are doing 13 units, it is manageable as long as you are organised, make use of your time like before school even. with that said, the advantages of 11 units is obviously one subject less and study periods. However, 13 units is manageable if you make good use of your time. Like come early to school and do work, that will make up for your lack of study periods. The problem with study periods is that you have a tendency to procrastinate more and become lazy because you either rely on your study periods to do hw or you waste your study periods. But that's just some people. Lol. hope I helped

enoilgam

HSC
I'd only do 13 if you're confident that you can handle the workload and if you are doing equally well across the board. There is no point in hanging onto a subject if it is unlikely to count towards your ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)