Dropping to Standard (1 Viewer)

Streetcarcity

HSC
Yeah, I know there have been a lot of posts about this topic, but I'm still not sure about whether to drop to standard from advanced. My marks haven't been the best I can definitely acknowledge that; I got 16/23 comprehension 9/15 creative writing 9/15 speech 10/25 speech 10/25 essay and still waiting for another essay back to which I know I barely got around 60%. I'm planning to pick up extension 2 maths as I am capable of my maths skills but I know it will require a heap of work on top of physics and chemistry which i am both doing bad in. Right now, I'm leaning more towards the Standard english course as I doubt that I think I can continue doing advanced, looking at my scores. My teacher says I have potential to do better but am not clearly exercising my abilitied well enough. Can I please get opinions in regards to both courses thx.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
the standard course is basically the same as the advanced course, and it scales aligns a LOT worse.
This ^^

Standard killed my atar.... I got 82 raw for standard, 87 aligned. If i got 82 raw in advanced, this would align to somewhere around 92.

If you do drop to standard, don't expect your marks to increase significantly. People in my cohort dropped expecting to get an easy 90, in reality they averaged the same/slightly better. However, this doesn't consider the tougher aligning in standard, so you could say dropping provided little benefit.

piglet

HSC
I was in the same situation as you only a week ago, and just to elaborate on what everyone was saying DON'T DO STANDARD! Only 1-2% of people doing standard get b6 compared to 10% with advanced. Also it aligns better so your mark is pushed up easily with advanced even if you get 80s, and the course is generally a lot more rewarding!!

astroman

HSC

piglet

HSC
Oops! Well a better reason not to move down!

kevin huynh

HSC
My friend in you drop to standard then your in for one hell of a ride. It's the worst and don't even think about it as an option

"Life difficult in standard....sigh"

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
In Advanced, did you put in effort? Did you pour all your blood, sweat, tears into getting great marks, however still under-preformed? If yes, then drop to STAND. If no, then stay in ADV. If you received those marks, and didn't even try, think of what you could achieve if you put in a little more effort. Mind you, if the marks outlined above were your prelim marks, know that everyone fucks prelim up. Do you know why? Because we don't know what to expect. Honesty, I got 62% in prelims and my assesment mark was like 74 or something, in trials I recieved 88% and my assessment mark is 93. It takes a bit of practice, and a little bit more effort. Honestly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)