Yearly Finished. Underwhelming. What now? (1 Viewer)

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Advanced Mathematics: 80%
Modern History: 70%
Biology: 66%
Software Design and Development: 70%
Chemistry: 20%
English: Laziest faculty ever, probably getting them tomorrow.

Just typing this because it's been on my mind ever since yearlies finished and I don't know what to do. Compared to the amount of studying I did, these marks feel underwhelming. For Biology, Modern History and SDD especially, I made a full set of notes covering most of the syllabus dot points but why only 70%. PM me and I can show you all the notes I made, maybe they're inefficient?

Chemistry was demotivating. I wanted to be good at it but my teacher's teaching methods have been incompatible for me hence I can barely intake what has been taught. I convinced myself to drop so I didn't write any notes but I don't know if that's the best idea anymore because my university course may require it.

What I've been pondering all day:
  • Should i drop chemistry although my future courses may require it?
  • How can I get ahead in all my subjects?
  • How can I achieve a higher mark? To be honest, I cannot remember the last time I got over 90% in a test.
  • Are all chances of a high 90 ATAR lost?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
For the HSC start handing in practice questions from pastpapers etc, biology tends to be very specific in what they are looking for...

SabrinaSchool

HSC
N/A
Should i drop chemistry although my future courses may require it?
Yes drop it, if it's not enjoyable and your not getting the marks you want then it's useless as a backup.
How can I get ahead in all my subjects?
I think the key is just constantly revising your notes and being on top of your work.
How can I achieve a higher mark? To be honest, I cannot remember the last time I got over 90% in a test.
Make sure you have a firm understanding of all topics
Are all chances of a high 90 ATAR lost?
No heaps of people don't do as well in year 11 as they do in year 12 because they don't care as much and nothing counts
But they work way harder in year 12 because it's all on the line.

emilios

HSC
Well the good thing is that Chem mark has made your life easier - there's now no question on what you should drop.

I liked all my subjects throughout yr 12 but, with less than 2 weeks before the hsc I can tell you now that 12 units is hell.

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
Well the good thing is that Chem mark has made your life easier - there's now no question on what you should drop.

I liked all my subjects throughout yr 12 but, with less than 2 weeks before the hsc I can tell you now that 12 units is hell.
It must be. I can't imagine myself doing biology. On a second note, I thought the guy who posted this thread had his HSC in 2014. And I donno if you want and if you are not dropping chem, I can give you my notes for chemistry that I have made throughout the year.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Advanced Mathematics: 80%
Modern History: 70%
Biology: 66%
Software Design and Development: 70%
Chemistry: 20%
English: Laziest faculty ever, probably getting them tomorrow.

Just typing this because it's been on my mind ever since yearlies finished and I don't know what to do. Compared to the amount of studying I did, these marks feel underwhelming. For Biology, Modern History and SDD especially, I made a full set of notes covering most of the syllabus dot points but why only 70%. PM me and I can show you all the notes I made, maybe they're inefficient?

Chemistry was demotivating. I wanted to be good at it but my teacher's teaching methods have been incompatible for me hence I can barely intake what has been taught. I convinced myself to drop so I didn't write any notes but I don't know if that's the best idea anymore because my university course may require it.

What I've been pondering all day:
  • Should i drop chemistry although my future courses may require it?
  • How can I get ahead in all my subjects?
  • How can I achieve a higher mark? To be honest, I cannot remember the last time I got over 90% in a test.
  • Are all chances of a high 90 ATAR lost?

Can you pick up senior science?

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Can you pick up senior science?
I don't know anything about senior science! I'll speak to my teacher about it. Anyway, most of my friends say that I really should keep a backup. Our year advisor also insisted on all of us having more than 10 units. I don't know how that will help if I'm extremely weak in the backup subject (chemistry). There is also maths extension which I haven't done well in all year but I've heard its easier to dedicate and come back to extension math compared to chemistry if you already have the basis.

Edit: You needed 120 hours in the preliminary year to do senior science according to the syllabus?

Last edited:

zhertec

HSC
I don't know anything about senior science! I'll speak to my teacher about it. Anyway, most of my friends say that I really should keep a backup. Our year advisor also insisted on all of us having more than 10 units. I don't know how that will help if I'm extremely weak in the backup subject (chemistry). There is also maths extension which I haven't done well in all year but I've heard its easier to dedicate and come back to extension math compared to chemistry if you already have the basis.

Edit: You needed 120 hours in the preliminary year to do senior science according to the syllabus?
Do what you are strong at, after all, your aim is to achieve that atar mark to get into your desired course, everything else is moot at the moment (can be fixed most likely with the 3 months of free time after the hsc to study the subjects you are bad at, depending on what courses want to do in the future). And what's the point on having a backup subject if you are not doing particularly well at? It's like a student taking 4u for scaling and praying that scaling alone will attain themselves a high atar. Currently your best method is to focus on your best 10 units in order to ensure that you do not require a "backup" subject.

And about that senior science thing, I don't think they allow students to pick up HSC courses if they have not completed the preliminary requirements.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad

Of one science. So for example some of my friends dropped chem, and picked up ss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)