Preparing for Adv English in Yr11 (1 Viewer)

Cmf97351

HSC
It's now the school holidays and I'm in Year 10. My English marks have been promising at times but poor for the most part of the last few years (marks around 65-70%). Feedback includes a lack of sophisticated language and horrific short answer question responses. Naturally in the Christmas break I have plenty of time on my hands - so any tips, advice or techniques you believe could help me lift for Advanced English next year would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

astroman

HSC
ask your teacher what your prescribed texts are and i suggest you start reading those, also would be beneficial to read texts regarding the concept of discovery.

astroman

HSC
would also not hurt to prepare your english creative for your HSC year, the earlier you start the longer you will have to get it proofread and edited to perfection.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I would suggest you increase your reading capacity and just read books to develop a greater understanding of what good creative writing is. There is absolutely no need to read books on discovery or write a creative because I am not sure whether hawk rider or astroman noticed, but the OP is in year 11 next year, where discovery is for year 12, there really is no benefit in being this ahead where the fundamentals have not been grasped strongly-even if they have, no point-I personally tried this, wasn't much of a help at all.

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
It's now the school holidays and I'm in Year 10. My English marks have been promising at times but poor for the most part of the last few years (marks around 65-70%). Feedback includes a lack of sophisticated language and horrific short answer question responses. Naturally in the Christmas break I have plenty of time on my hands - so any tips, advice or techniques you believe could help me lift for Advanced English next year would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Definitely not excellent at english but what I personally did was:

- Read widely to increase vocabulary and to aid in developing your own writing style from it
- Go over fundamentals of essay structure and creative writing
- Review literary techniques and learn to identify them for textual analysis

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
And get a tutor.
Probably try to get a tutor with an established reputation and capacity to teach, but before OP gets a tutor, they should make sure they really need tutoring and would do better with tutoring than without. Tutoring requires lots of hard work from the student to be effective-so make sure there isn't an erroneous perception that once you get tutored you will automatically get good results because learning simply doesn't happen like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)