Help with choosing subjects for year 12? (urgent) (1 Viewer)

bluesori

HSC
Hi!
I'm in year 11 at a selective high school and I need some major help in deciding which subjects to do.
Currently these are my units.
English (3u)
Maths (3u)
Business (2)
Legal (2)
Modern History (2)

We're now being asked to choose our year 12 subjects and I have come up with a few options.

I'm actually terrible at maths and picked up extension with the intention of also picking up an Open HS subject, so that I could drop extension maths if it was getting too difficult. However I was overseas for a very extended period of time and was unable to submit applications. When I returned to school I was forced to keep extension as my 12th unit, which was fine.
However throughout this year I've discovered that maths really isn't my forte (in other words: I reallllly suck and have bad marks) and it would be unwise to keep it. I still can't comprehend many of the 2u topics for this year and find that maths homework takes up most or all of my time in a day. I have never enjoyed maths and always saw it as a requirement in study. I'm planning on doing Media and Communications or something in that field at uni and really do not see the importance of 2U or 3U mathematics for those types of courses, as also expressed by many of my teachers.

So my options from here are:

1. drop all maths and keep the rest (in all of which I'm happy with my progress), and have 10 units if I pick up 4U english - but I have been told that having an extension as your tenth unit is really risky and I agree, so:

2. do an extension unit of History to make it 11 units - which a teacher has expressed is "fine, not a bad idea" (and maybe drop one of the extensions somewhere throughout the year if it's not working out?)

3. do 3U or 4U english, modern, business, legal and drop down to General maths = 11 or 12 units

However I really don't want 12 units and would really prefer to even have just 10 if possible...

I'm so torn on this decision and we've only been given a week to decide (which is ridiculous imo).
I'm also sincerely asking that you please (please) do not ridicule me for my decisions about maths, some people are just not passionate or good enough to do it and I don't want to risk it in the HSC...

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I recommend dropping down to just 2U Maths. This will leave you with 11 units.

I believe no matter how bad someone is at maths, pushing through with extra practice will really improve them.

General is not just a lower level of maths, it's also a completely different maths class

bluesori

HSC
I recommend dropping down to just 2U Maths. This will leave you with 11 units.

I believe no matter how bad someone is at maths, pushing through with extra practice will really improve them.

General is not just a lower level of maths, it's also a completely different maths class
Thanks for your suggestion and motivational words...but I'm not understanding the basics of Year 11 2U at the moment and I am positive I'll be struggling next year. Also I need to put in extra practice as you suggested but that would mean allocating even MORE time to the hours I spend on the usual homework, which is not going to be very helpful since I need to focus on the other subjects too...

I took a look at the Syllabus for General Maths as well as attempted some practice HSC questions and I don't think I'll struggle with it (on its own) - however I'm concerned that I'll have to learn the preliminary content that I didn't do this year in order to keep up to date.

But my sole purpose of doing General maths would be doing it so that I have something to fall back on in case I decide to drop my extensions - would it be a bad idea to take on 13 units for the first two weeks (incl General Maths, Ext 2 English and Ext History) to try it out or....?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)