Need help Analysing? English Advanced! (1 Viewer)

darkndesirable

HSC
So for my related text for my AOS: Identity one of the texts i decided to do is this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buA3tsGnp2s
Its 1:30 minute clip about a boy who was a child soldier to a free man with all the opportunities of the world and stuff. I was wondering on what techniques would be used to analyse this type of text and if you could give any examples in terms of identity? Really appreciate it!

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I don't know whether or not this is a technique but perhaps you could use "flashback" and how it conveys the idea of what has formed his identity

Captions of "at 6 deng was taken away fro his mother". This emphasises that it was dangerous back when he was 6 and his identity was unknown at the time? Don't know

Close up shot of Deng conveys the idea that his identity has changed from being a child soldier to one fighting for justice?

Sorry :( Don't know. My english is quite bad but that's what I think but I most likely will be wrong

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
I haven't studied the AOS, identity but these are some film/literary techniques:

1. Montage at the very beginning - portrays the war-ridden experience he underwent, which could've influenced his perspective as an adult
2. Truncated sentences - usually creates sense of urgency, tension, etc
3. Diegetic sounds - e.g. explosions
4. Non-diegetic sounds - perhaps anaylse the relation between the background music and the context of the film
5. Juxtaposition of scenes - childhood vs adulthood
6. Somewhat cyclical film - mother appears at the beginning and at the end of the film
7. Not sure if this is stretching it (but then again, this is english lmao), but from 0:30-0:32, there's repeated scenes of gates/barriers/trapped kinda sense, work it however you will
8. Shaky cam at the very beginning during the fighting scenes (vs the subsequent smooth shots when he's in syd)
9. Symbolism

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)