study notes worth the time? (1 Viewer)

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
Should I be using my time to write notes out for each subject, or is it okay to just download notes for physics and chemistry ? I feel as if I will be using alot of my time , where I could would be more productive and get more work finished ?

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
If you have time, you should definitely take the time to do it coz it really helps retain information (first hand experience)
But, when i was in prelim, i didnt write any notes and just did my hw. And then two weeks before yearly, i downloaded a set for prelim chem, phys and business, crammed the whole thing and managed to come first in the year for phys and chem.
TL;DR do it if u have time, but its not important (atleast for prelim that is)

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
that's exactly what I was going to do, because the work is piling up and time is essential! But yeah only from prelim tho. Is there any good notes for prelim for phys and chem ? (if so can u put the links to the, the ones that are the most reliable )

Simorgh

HSC
that's exactly what I was going to do, because the work is piling up and time is essential! But yeah only from prelim tho. Is there any good notes for prelim for phys and chem ? (if so can u put the links to the, the ones that are the most reliable )
go n look in the resource section of this site for prelim notes

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Andrew Harvey's notes for prelim phys are solid (if a bit over-complex)
http://tianjara.net/hsc/notes/Prelim_Phys_Notes.pdf

For your HSC you should definitely write your own notes though (ofc you can use other peoples to help you do this, its probably recommended as well),
but for prelim its okay not to lol cuz prelim

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Only write notes if you're going to use them.

I don't use notes for most of my subjects, so I don't write any down.

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
How do u study then? Just practicing questions?

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Only write notes if you're going to use them.

I don't use notes for most of my subjects, so I don't write any down.
I disagree with this. After a certain point I don't really use my notes anymore, but the mere act of writing them out helps me consolidate and organise my thoughts with the content.
Like, I stopped referring to my notes maybe a week or two after I wrote them for physics, but the process of making them was invaluable. Plus, it's unlikely you will still remember everything in detail after you've gone through most of the year learning new topics, so rereading the notes you've already made can help you get back to the same familiarity with the subject matter.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
How do u study then? Just practicing questions?
I disagree with this. After a certain point I don't really use my notes anymore, but the mere act of writing them out helps me consolidate and organise my thoughts with the content.
Like, I stopped referring to my notes maybe a week or two after I wrote them for physics, but the process of making them was invaluable. Plus, it's unlikely you will still remember everything in detail after you've gone through most of the year learning new topics, so rereading the notes you've already made can help you get back to the same familiarity with the subject matter.
That's just the thing - I remember 99% of the content in class. When I write things down, I don't remember them because I tend to focus more on the actual writing, then what it is that I'm writing. My studying (apart from quote memorisation for English) is just practice questions, and past exams. The 1% of content I don't remember is typically 1 quick google search away.

I find the little bit of time making notes would save me not worth the hassle and time spent on actually making them.

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
I remember 99% of the content in class

I wish I could be like that. I have to write things out a thousand times to memorise stuff.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC

I wish I could be like that. I have to write things out a thousand times to memorise stuff.
Honestly it's just actively listening to the teacher's explanations, and asking questions about anything I'm not 100% sure about. If I don't feel entirely confident about a topic straight away, I'll do practice questions when I get home that same day, otherwise it can wait until I have time for studying.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Its all in the resource section. As long as it covers all bases of the modules, you can just cram it all and be g for any test

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
That's just the thing - I remember 99% of the content in class. When I write things down, I don't remember them because I tend to focus more on the actual writing, then what it is that I'm writing. My studying (apart from quote memorisation for English) is just practice questions, and past exams. The 1% of content I don't remember is typically 1 quick google search away.

I find the little bit of time making notes would save me not worth the hassle and time spent on actually making them.
Ah fair enough
I self-teach myself the syllabus for most things by writing notes for that topic during holidays so it's a little different in that there's no teacher input so I'm writing notes for something as I learn it.
I get what you mean about being in class, like I rarely actually write anything in class, and mostly just listen and ask questions.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC

Yeah, I think its like don't be one of those people who just blindly copies down what the teacher says, and then is sort of kind of listening in the background.
Especially if you are never going to read it again.

I think the difference is you should have notes that you made for yourself with the purpose of being useful.
I guess you have to balance how useful you think they'll be against how much time you will have to put into them

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Andrew Harvey's notes for prelim phys are solid (if a bit over-complex)
http://tianjara.net/hsc/notes/Prelim_Phys_Notes.pdf

For your HSC you should definitely write your own notes though (ofc you can use other peoples to help you do this, its probably recommended as well),
but for prelim its okay not to lol cuz prelim
I felt as though his notes were not detailed enough..

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I felt as though his notes were not detailed enough..
Ahaha I just quickly flicked through them, but I see what you mean
Must've been thinking of his hsc notes then (though they aren't that good either lol..)
That being said it is prelim though

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Ahaha I just quickly flicked through them, but I see what you mean
Must've been thinking of his hsc notes then (though they aren't that good either lol..)
That being said it is prelim though
Basically i am using his notes, my mates and using jacaranda textbook to make my notes and they are looking smexy ;)
I really think notes help you understand as you are making them in your own words and understanding it instead of memorising someone else's notes.
At most times you dont really need to memorise when you understand the concept well.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Basically i am using his notes, my mates and using jacaranda textbook to make my notes and they are looking smexy ;)
I really think notes help you understand as you are making them in your own words and understanding it instead of memorising someone else's notes.
At most times you dont really need to memorise when you understand the concept well.
Yeah, that's basically the idea - you generally have to know what your talking about to write it out in your own words.

Be careful you don't end up just paraphrasing what's written somewhere else without actually understanding what you're writing though, I got that feeling when when writing chem notes sometimes.

The actual notes themselves aren't as important as having enough knowledge and understanding to be actually be able to write them.
There are so many more quality resources for HSC though ahahaa, I remember there was basically nothing worth using for prelim

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Yeah, that's basically the idea - you generally have to know what your talking about to write it out in your own words.

Be careful you don't end up just paraphrasing what's written somewhere else without actually understanding what you're writing though, I got that feeling when when writing chem notes sometimes.

The actual notes themselves aren't as important as having enough knowledge and understanding to be actually be able to write them.
There are so many more quality resources for HSC though ahahaa, I remember there was basically nothing worth using for prelim
Yeah there is jack all for prelim..in terms of notes and past papers as the only abundant past papers are maths papers.

Last edited:

helloimyellow

HSC
Study notes are quite useful, but if you're REALLY pressed for time I think it's better to just focus on exam technique and do a stack of past papers instead of trying to perfect your notes. Personally, I only used them for last minute rote learning of annoying and obscure concepts - water quality in Module 3, for example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)