Can I do extension 1 maths??? (1 Viewer)

ScienceGuy99

HSC
Hi everyone!

I'm currently doing 2 unit maths and I'm 6th in the class (out of 11, 4 of which are extension students) based off my first and only exam a couple weeks ago. I got 70%.

One of my goals for university is engineering and they all recommend 3-4 unit maths. I think if I can manage 3 unit maths I would be able to do well in uni in an engineering degree.

My question is this:
Is it too late to pick up extension maths right now? The extension class have already done one exam and most likely covered the first topic (circles). Is it possible to catch up? Would I be allowed to pick up the subject? Would it be worth the extra work for engineering at uni?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I'd recommend trying to pick it up for engineering but it is a semester in...

Talk to your school's maths staff. You could probably catch up on circle geometry in the 2 week school holiday.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
See if you are allowed to take up 3 unit mathematics, as bridging courses tend to fill very rushed.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
As BLIT has suggested, get accepted into MX1 first. Then work very hard to catch up with your class work. Since you are planning to do Engg, MX1 should be a minimum. A bridging course should be a last resort - do you think a demanding 2-yr course can be somehow covered in a few weeks.

Anyway, if you live within 10 km of Epping, I can help you cover the 1st term work you have missed. Of course if you are capable of doing all that by yourself, so much the better for you. Whatever you do, get your school to ok your doing MX1 without delay.

ScienceGuy99

HSC
You could probably catch up on circle geometry in the 2 week school holiday.
Is it possible to cover a term of work in two weeks? Haha
Would it be less work than if it were a 2 unit subject? Because it's only 1 unit for the extension, so the work would be limited compared to my 2 unit maths class... Right?

ScienceGuy99

HSC
Anyway, if you live within 10 km of Epping, I can help you cover the 1st term work you have missed. Of course if you are capable of doing all that by yourself, so much the better for you. Whatever you do, get your school to ok your doing MX1 without delay.
I live 130 kms away unfortunately hahaha But I didn't think of tutoring, thankyou!! :D

ScienceGuy99

HSC
Does anyone know if I'll even be ALLOWED to go into the course? They've had one exam already and I don't know the rules to it. Plus there's an athletics today and I don't want to until tomorrow for a potential answer haha

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone know if I'll even be ALLOWED to go into the course? They've had one exam already and I don't know the rules to it. Plus there's an athletics today and I don't want to until tomorrow for a potential answer haha ������������������
Alternatively you can see if there is a TAFE near by that does 3 unit mathematics (It would be a 2 year course squashed into one usually)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I live 130 kms away unfortunately hahaha But I didn't think of tutoring, thankyou!! :D
Maybe I should acquire a helicopter so I can help out students out there in regional NSW.

In any case, try to get accepted into mx1. It's not too late yet. Good luck.

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
As to whether or not you'd be allowed into MX1 at this stage, a lot depends on your school. I suspect some schools are helpful and some are bureaucratic and will put impediments in your way.

But I'd suggest a possible course of action. Think carefully your arguments for wanting to do it (e.g. you want to do Engg and will need a minimum of 3U Maths) and think out carefully why you deserve to be given a chance. So you must go prepared before broaching his subject with your teacher or head teacher. If you did not opt for 3U because it didn't occur to you to do it, then it's ok. But if you were not allowed from the beginning to do 3U, then the school tends to not like to reverse its decision, unless you can demonstrate very good reasons why you can do it (but never of course show them they were wrong; human beings being what they are hate being shown they're wrong). Talk to your parent/parents. You may have to approach the school officially (e.g. to talk to the head of maths or the principal) with your parent(s).

Maybe the 1st thing is, at the end of a class to have a quiet word with your 2U teacher, or your school's 3U teacher, about the possibility of and your desire to do 3U. If you can achieve a sympathetic hearing, then maybe the teacher will support your application and tell you how you may go about it.
Try to get your friend or friends already doing 3U to help you with a topic already covered and demonstrate you can handle it. No need to master every topic covered so far - you just don't have time in a day or 2 to achieve this. If said teacher is supportive and has authority to accept you into 3U, you are done. Else, you may need to apply to a higher authority(head teacher or principal or whoever) for acceptance.

The fact the 3U class has done an exam is not important. The marks don't count. Maybe you can with the help of your 3U friends learn a 3U topic already covered and see how you go in the question set in the recent exam on this topic. If you can do it, you have concrete and supporting evidence you can handle 3U.

It's better to do your 3U in your own school. Doing at a TAFE will be less than ideal and should be the last resort.

Last edited:

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Hi everyone!

I'm currently doing 2 unit maths and I'm 6th in the class (out of 11, 4 of which are extension students) based off my first and only exam a couple weeks ago. I got 70%.

One of my goals for university is engineering and they all recommend 3-4 unit maths. I think if I can manage 3 unit maths I would be able to do well in uni in an engineering degree.

My question is this:
Is it too late to pick up extension maths right now? The extension class have already done one exam and most likely covered the first topic (circles). Is it possible to catch up? Would I be allowed to pick up the subject? Would it be worth the extra work for engineering at uni?
As others have said, it's definitely better to cover Prelim/HSC content while you're actually in high school, as opposed to doing a bridging course after you complete your HSC. If you're set on doing engineering, then I'd definitely recommend trying to find a way to do 3U while you're still in high school. Have a talk to the maths faculty at your school and see if they'll let you in. Also, if they do let you in, there's not TOO much content that you've missed - only around one term's worth, which isn't so much that you can't catch up on it. And if I recall correctly, Prelim 3U only really starts to get hard once you get to trigonometry, which the 3U class at your school probably hasn't covered yet.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Is it possible to cover a term of work in two weeks? Haha
Would it be less work than if it were a 2 unit subject? Because it's only 1 unit for the extension, so the work would be limited compared to my 2 unit maths class... Right?
It's better than covering 2 years in 2 months.

Circle geometry isn't a very demanding topic and not much else in the MX1 course relies on it.

Dragon9000

HSC
N/A
It's certainly possible, like everyone else has said, see if the faculty will take you, and if they do, try your hardest.

ScienceGuy99

HSC
I talked to my teachers in the maths department and they said it I wouldn't be able to do it, at least without some tutoring. I'm gonna have to teach myself the entire topic of circle geometry (over the school holidays) and most of the polynomial topic (in the next few days). We're going to have a talk o monday about whether or not they'll actually let me do it. I'll have to do the exam for circle geometry (which was apparently relatively easy) first extension class back next term.

Does anyone tutor or know a tutor that can help me that's in the newcastle area? :O Please please please! Need help with circles over the holidays

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I talked to my teachers in the maths department and they said it I wouldn't be able to do it, at least without some tutoring. I'm gonna have to teach myself the entire topic of circle geometry (over the school holidays) and most of the polynomial topic (in the next few days). We're going to have a talk o monday about whether or not they'll actually let me do it. I'll have to do the exam for circle geometry (which was apparently relatively easy) first extension class back next term.

Does anyone tutor or know a tutor that can help me that's in the newcastle area? :O Please please please! Need help with circles over the holidays
Have a look in this section or post a thread with your query in it.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A

It's great news that the door to MX1 is not completely shut to you.

If you can take a train to Epping station I can tutor you circle geometry etc. The Newcastle to Central train stops at Epping, I believe. This is not for your regular tutoring, and I'm not suggesting you need one. It is to help you prepare for the test, over the coming holidays, to get you accepted. Don't assume any Tom, Dick and Harry tutor can help you effectively. PM me if you wish to follow up on this.

Don't assume circle geometry is easy. Some find it easy and some find it hard. I'm currently covering circle geometry with my MX1 student.

PS

There is a medical student at the U of Newcastle who is offering Maths tutoring in your area. His name is delian. Not sure if he does MX1. This would be a much more practical solution for you. I'll bump his ad on BoS.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)