Accelerated Maths (1 Viewer)

Pillowman

HSC
Hey guys I'm currently in year 11 and doing accelerated maths 2u and ext1. I'm worried that im not able to do well in my preliminary subjects. Should I be worried? How important is it to do well in prelims?

keepLooking

HSC
For the majority of subjects, Prelim really does not matter at all. On the other hand, I think accelerating 2U and EXT1 may be too much.

prxyal007

HSC
don't stress...it's alot about time management. Heaps of people at my school are accelerating 2u and ext 1 and they're still ranking top 5-10 in their other subjects.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Manage your time. Don't like it? Drop it.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Other then English and Mathematics, how you do in prelim's isn't that important.

A fair few people accelerate 3U and do well/fine in preliminary as well as the HSC subjects they are undertaking.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Other then English and Mathematics, how you do in prelim's isn't that important.

A fair few people accelerate 3U and do well/fine in preliminary as well as the HSC subjects they are undertaking.
+1

The benefit from doing 2 and 3U accelerated will overall outweigh any negatives, namely that you may have a little less time to focus on your preliminary subjects. How you do in prelim doesn't at all affect your HSC marks (that being said, doing bad in prelim can indirectly have a negative effect on your HSC marks, because if you don't put effort into understanding prelim content/concepts for certain subjects, you may struggle with HSC content/concepts).

However, if you manage your time well, it's definitely still possible to go very well in both your accelerated HSC maths subjects, and your preliminary subjects.

calamebe

HSC
Yeah, just work on time management. I've been doing fine in my other subjects, while keeping up my marks and ranks in maths. I haven't had to give up any extra-curricular activities either. If it is getting too much though, you can always drop it and redo it. If it comes to that, I'd probably advise just dropping extension, and accelerating 2U. You should be fine though, if you manage your time properly.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
By next year, you're gonna have less work since you've already done HSC 2U and 3U this year

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Think 3U (Extension 1) you need the full 2 years to conquer it. If you pissed around/didn't perform well in Prelim/Year 11 you have a big obstacle in pulling it back. Personally think its important to do well in Year 11 to be able to do well in Year 12. I also think its a subject minimum-wise you need to put effort in every week (even during the holidays), need to put in probably around 200-225 hours of your own time for year 11, and 200-225 hours of your own time for year 12. (Not including class lectures)

Don't know what its like with the other HSC subjects like but I'd imagine something like the Humanities subjects that you can still do better in Year 12 than you did in Year 11 , even if you didn't do so well in Yr 11.

baktiar77

HSC
Op, if you're confident in maths and willing to sacrifice some time and fun this year so next year is less daunting, I suggest you take it up. Usually our school does this with Maths 2U and Bio accelerated in Year 11, allowing them to spend more time on English, sciences and humanities. The only ones who don't benefit much are the 4u kids who still have to do 3u and 4u and their 2u marks go to waste, but even then they get bio and its rote-learning out of the way.

Think 3U (Extension 1) you need the full 2 years to conquer it. If you pissed around/didn't perform well in Prelim/Year 11 you have a big obstacle in pulling it back. Personally think its important to do well in Year 11 to be able to do well in Year 12. .
I disagree. Maths Extension 1 is unique in the aspect that HSC topics are just added on top of Prelim and are completely different. There are bound to be topics that you'll struggle with in Prelim like 3D Trig and/or Circle Geo but you can do all the HSC topics even if you struggle with prelim just fine. (story of our class' 3 unit exam)

What's more important for 3 unit in my opinion is a solid base in 2 unit especially integration/differentiation which is vital for inverse/Rates etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)