Should I do 4u? (1 Viewer)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
ok so the thing is that I dont really want to do 4u but I think I can be able to do it..but I have been playing around with atar calculators and stuff and I have noticed 4u scales so bloody good. Like a 73 in 4u scales the same as a band 6 in PDHPE (~41 scaled mark). and to get 73 you need like 45% raw in the hsc which is manageable if atleast some effort is put in. So do you think this is worth it just for the scaling? and DOES it really scale this good?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
ok so the thing is that I dont really want to do 4u but I think I can be able to do it..but I have been playing around with atar calculators and stuff and I have noticed 4u scales so bloody good. Like a 73 in 4u scales the same as a band 6 in PDHPE (~41 scaled mark). and to get 73 you need like 45% raw in the hsc which is manageable if atleast some effort is put in. So do you think this is worth it just for the scaling? and DOES it really scale this good?
Yes it does scale very well. It also makes your 3U Maths count for two units, so if you do well in 3U, it counts for two units of goodness rather than one unit of goodness. All in all, it probably is worth it for scaling, assuming you don't think it will obscenely detract from your time available for other subjects.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
yeh do it

what subjects are you planning to drop though?

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Yes it does scale very well. It also makes your 3U Maths count for two units, so if you do well in 3U, it counts for two units of goodness rather than one unit of goodness. All in all, it probably is worth it for scaling, assuming you don't think it will obscenely detract from your time available for other subjects.
+1 to this. At least give 4U a try, if you hate it then you can always drop it (given that you've got enough units to do so). Not only is it worth it for the scaling, but it's a really interesting course too - you're bound to enjoy at least some of it. Plus doing 4U will develop your abilities for 3U, which is extra good given that 3U counts for 2 units when you do 4U (as InteGrand said)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Thanks for the replies now I am 80% sure on doing 4u haha..but another concerning factor is my teacher..she is well not very good at teaching and she is the only 4u teacher we have currently. This is a problem as I rely highly on learning in school in maths as opposed to self learning.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
There a 101 other resources you can use if your teacher is bad.
Just do it, 4u is bae

si2136

HSC
N/A
Try it, it wouldn't hurt :_

jathu123

HSC
YUS FINALLY!! do it

helloimyellow

HSC
Yep, like all the other guys here said, just try it. It definitely improves your 3U skills a lot (ranked 90-100th in 3U in prelim), and working hard by doing heaps of past papers and exercises = good marks.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
If you do physics, then I recommend you do 4U which you currently do atm

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
What marks are considered good enough to do 4u?
Stop agonising about it, even if your 4U maths teacher is not terribly good. Get cracking on your 4U NOW! Don't wait for term 4; have a headstart.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
BTW Rathin, when learning 4U keep on asking "why" and "how" so then you can clearly understand things better

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
I mean what mark for 2u and 3u is considered enough or good enough for 4u? I just want an Idea of where I sit.

Orwell

HSC
You can do it Rathin, I believe in you.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I mean what mark for 2u and 3u is considered enough or good enough for 4u? I just want an Idea of where I sit.
Uh...I don't know...I think 80s (80%) but I hear 4U is a completely different tangent to 3U

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)