How important is neatness??? (1 Viewer)

Maancis

HSC
Im year 11 and writing notes this year is more difficult since there is much more content, and i find when i am writing notes, i have this urge to write it as neatly as possible and when its not neat i get kind of frustrated but i know it shouldn't matter, since i don't have the time to write it as neatly. I changed my handwriting to cursive (for speed) but i get annoyed and want to go back to my old hand writing which is too big and takes too long to write.

Is the neatness of your notes really important for good grades, and also does anyone know how i should overcome this???

PS. It's not a huge issue, it only others me a little, but i'd rather be able to write without this feeling.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Im year 11 and writing notes this year is more difficult since there is much more content, and i find when i am writing notes, i have this urge to write it as neatly as possible and when its not neat i get kind of frustrated but i know it shouldn't matter, since i don't have the time to write it as neatly. I changed my handwriting to cursive (for speed) but i get annoyed and want to go back to my old hand writing which is too big and takes too long to write.

Is the neatness of your notes really important for good grades, and also does anyone know how i should overcome this???

PS. It's not a huge issue, it only others me a little, but i'd rather be able to write without this feeling.
important to some extent so makers can give you marks

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Your writing should be at least somewhat easily readable. I'm not quite sure what the policy BOSTES have about hard-to-read exams, but if the response is completely unreadable they could* potentially just not mark it, resulting in a 0 mark. On the flipside, I don't see any reason to obsess over perfect hand writing. Just make sure it's legible to a substantial degree.

* I'm note sure, this is just me making assumptions

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Make sure it is legible.

If the marker can't read it then they can't mark it - quite simple really. Markers will make every effort to read the work but if it can't be read it can't get marks.

I have heard a number of furphies that say that if it is illegible then they will get you to go to the marking centre and read it to them - not true and not fair anyway as people do the HSC all over the world. These days with many exams being marked at home that isn't a possibility anyway.

Neatness isn't as important as legibility.

si2136

HSC
N/A
It doesn't need to be 'neat', but able for the markers to read. Because they're the one interpreting and marking it, not you :)

Orwell

HSC
Yeah, you will suffer if it's illegible.

StudiousStudent

HSC

I get where you're coming from 100%. I'm notoriously neat, but I print and it's so slow. I would rip whole pages out if I made 1 mistake - not anymore.

My teacher always tells us to do running writing in exams because it's harder for the marker to pick up on grammar and spelling mistakes, and it's quicker so you write more.

So it's not important imho - he used to be a HSC marker.

the_matrix

HSC
I changed my handwriting to cursive (for speed) but i get annoyed and want to go back to my old hand writing which is too big and takes too long to write.
I'm in a similar position to you, I get annoyed when I use cursive because my print is neat and has been commended many times :L
As long as it is legible, then its fine.

The way I see it, there is 40 minutes to:
- adapt your essay to the exam question (assuming you've memorised a draft essay)
- write 1000+ words
- write in a legible manner
I.e. teachers shouldn't can't expect that much

I've seen ugly handwriting in sample HSC answers, but it was legible - that's all that matters.

My teacher always tells us to do running writing in exams because it's harder for the marker to pick up on grammar and spelling mistakes, and it's quicker so you write more.
Strongly agree with this haha

Orwell

HSC
It's why I picked myself up a fountain pen.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Maybe Drongoski can help you with your handwriting. But he's had no success so far!

PS
A couple of hours ago, I had occasion to re-write my Yr-9 student's answers to show how it can be done neatly. He's blamed his slow-handwriting for not finishing his homework. I also showed him how running writing is done.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
U need to learn to write neatly and quickly and the best way to doing this is by practicing

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
As long as it is legible then neatness doesn't matter really.

AmorFati

HSC
Maybe Drongoski can help you with your handwriting. But he's had no success so far!

PS
A couple of hours ago, I had occasion to re-write my Yr-9 student's answers to show how it can be done neatly. He's blamed his slow-handwriting for not finishing his homework. I also showed him how running writing is done.
Do you mind posting a pic of your handwriting?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)