Mathematics Extension 1 help (1 Viewer)

Mysticx

HSC
As of now i am seriously considering dropping extension 1 mathematics, even though i know it is essential for most uni courses i want to do. Ive been doing good up until now with marks in 80- 90 in 2 unit and 70 in EXT1. However my mark for mid course was 40%, second lowest in my class and i am really disappointed. Id appreciate help or advice on what i should do.
My subjects are:
Advanced English
Physics
Engineering
Software Design and Development
2 unit and 3 unit maths
Legal Studies (dropping in year 12)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Ranks in respective subjects?
School rank?
Look at Topscores for band 6s in your respective subjects
Can you gain data to how previous cohorts have performed e.g 50% of cohort get a band 5 or higher in mathematics etc

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
You must ask yourself, as objectively as possible, why/how your Ext 1 marks dropped to 40%. What topics was this test on? Are you having problems with those topics? If so, which topics specifically? Do you think you have a reasonable aptitude for maths? Are you passionate about it or do you try to avoid it?

Now it is always easier to drop than to pick it up again. So give such contemplations very careful thought. Do you think your situation redeemable? If the rest of your class is doing better, then maybe it is not the teacher.

Do you already have tutoring? If so, is it helping? (from 40%, doesn't seem so; but may be it is you and not your tutor)

si2136

HSC
N/A
Ext. 1 is not a prerequisite for any Uni course. Which uni course do you wish to enter in?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
@OP I think you need to reconsider the way you study in maths

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Ext. 1 is not a prerequisite for any Uni course. Which uni course do you wish to enter in?
I'm pretty sure it is for Acturial studies and Advanced maths

Also if you look at the "usefulness" of 3U and 4U maths topics then you'll understand that 3U and 4U are useful for uni (e.g. mechanics is useful for physics and/or engineering)

From what I heard, first year uni physics is purely all integration and differentiation, infact it's even harder than 4U

si2136

HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure it is for Acturial studies and Advanced maths

Also if you look at the "usefulness" of 3U and 4U maths topics then you'll understand that 3U and 4U are useful for uni (e.g. mechanics is useful for physics and/or engineering)

From what I heard, first year uni physics is purely all integration and differentiation, infact it's even harder than 4U
It's not. It's an assumed knowledge. Everything is assumed, ppl can take a bridging course, however, it is recommended ofc to do 3U/4U, because drop out rates are high for Eng when 3U is assumed knowledge.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
It's not. It's an assumed knowledge. Everything is assumed, ppl can take a bridging course, however, it is recommended ofc to do 3U/4U, because drop out rates are high for Eng when 3U is assumed knowledge.
So I guess 3U/4U maths is useful in the end (or is at least helpful so that you don't need to do some bridging course)

TBH they should make it compulsory so then they can raise the standards

si2136

HSC
N/A
So I guess 3U/4U maths is useful in the end (or is at least helpful so that you don't need to do some bridging course)

TBH they should make it compulsory so then they can raise the standards
I agree. They used to have prerequisites. 4U is life tho

Mysticx

HSC
Schools rank is 384 and my rankings for subjects are:
Advanced English 4/122
2 unit 14/40
Physics 8/18
Engineering 7/18
SDD 2/16
Legal I have no idea

However ive decided ill keep trying in this subject as i wish to do well in it, if it does not work out and i see no hope ill drop it

Mysticx

HSC
After much thought, ive decided to keep trying. I believe the drop in my mark was due to the fact i could not purely focus on maths like the first test as i had other mid courses. I did ok in all sections except i struggled alot in circle geometry which i did not revise in depth. I have tutoring but i believe that it is helping it was just i did not revise and study effectively.
Thank you!

calamebe

HSC
Yeah I'd say it's better to keep it for now, prelim is kind of a trial year. If by the end of year 11 you feel like you need to drop, then it would be better to do it then, but as other people have mentioned once you drop you can't pick it back up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)