Should I learn an instrument during year 11? (1 Viewer)

ScienceGuy99

HSC
I'm in year 11 right now and I've been thinking about learning the violin. I've always loved it But I'm worried - with my workload at school and studying - I won't have time to learn it or my study will suffer. I do biology, chemistry, physics, 3 unit maths and advanced English. I do a lot of work every night (except Friday and Saturday because they're my nights off studying :3).

Let me know what you think. If you have any questions to aid in answering mine I'll be happy to answer. And if you have experience with learning an instrument in relatively busy times, let me know how it worked out for you :)

Thankyou!!! :)

astroman

HSC
Depends on how much time you want to devote to it, an hour or two a day is no problem at all. Beyond that, you will probably need to start scheduling your workload, especially as you approach exams.

Also year 11...

si2136

HSC
N/A
If you want. It's a good stress reliever if you can play :)

And it has a good ROI when picking up boys/girls

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
If you're learning an instruments for leisure not for exams, it's great. But if you're playing for exams rip it's gonna be hard, yr11 would be chill
But yr 12 smh
However, that is dependent on how you spend your time

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

leehuan

HSC
This girl that has her piano lesson for me, she rushed and did AMEB 6th grade piano in just half a month (she's in Yr 11) and got a high distinction apparently.

Food for thought

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
Yeah you should, only in the holidays
No I disagree, you can learn it during yr 11 but I would not recommend it in yr 12
(I'm speaking from my own experience as I do music out of school )

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
No I disagree, you can learn it during yr 11 but I would not recommend it in yr 12
(I'm speaking from my own experience as I do music out of school )

Well I was just giving a suggestion. Also I don't do music out of school

Also in the holidays there's a lot of time but people are reckless (not saying all) and just waste it doing jack

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
I've heard that learning an instrument (or singing) increases memory somehow...but apart from that depends on how well you can deal with stress and create a timetable and actually stick with it in terms of practice and study. I had guitar lessons yr8-yr11 but dropped this year because my workload is too big (bio, chem, phys, math, adv. eng), but pick it up on weekends/hols and just muck around as a stress reliever. It's whatever works for you (I've got a friend doing dance every other weekday and somehow she still finds time to study and smash school...:bomb:)

bunnykun

HSC
Playing an instrument would definitely help you relax for a while and focus on something that isn't letters or numbers. I honestly think it'll be fine, but I wouldn't recommend it if you were playing an instrument and doing AMEB exams. You would actually need to spend a lot of time practising the instrument, also imo its less enjoyable in a way because you're stuck playing the same pieces and scales for months just to perfect it as much as you can.

But if you're playing it for fun, then you should go for it.:D

Flop21

HSC
No learn to program instead.

blackbird_14

HSC
As a person who playing violin for HSC Music 2, it's a great way to procrastinate while your mind is still doing something. Up to you, like do you have a music background already? Or are you picking it up with limited musical experience? (In which case I'd definitely chose guitar over violin anyday- cause frets :D)

clementinez

HSC
N/A
As a person who playing violin for HSC Music 2, it's a great way to procrastinate while your mind is still doing something. Up to you, like do you have a music background already? Or are you picking it up with limited musical experience? (In which case I'd definitely chose guitar over violin anyday- cause frets :D)
^^the frets tho

I don't see why you shouldn't learn to play an instrument, now is as good a time as any. Are you a beginner? Because starting off in any instrument is not going to require you sit and study music theory and practice for hours, more like half an hour a day in the beginning and then you progress to how much is convenient. Keep in mind that you won't even be able to practice for too long seeing as your fingers take time to get used to string instruments. It'll hurt if you play too much from the start.

I played competitive sport during my HSC year and practiced piano regularly, and I got everything done so you should have no trouble. Besides, it'll help you relax. It's fun :)

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Sounds like a great day :) A non-guilty form of procrastination!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you have time/energy then why not. If you aren't working then it's a good past time which will take your eyes away from textbooks and computer screens. And it'll give you something to say in future job applications/scholarship applications/etc.

ScienceGuy99

HSC
I know it's been ages since this post, but I still haven't picked up violin because my parents didn't really allow it... Partly because of money, but mostly they were worried about my time for study (pissed me of so much!!!!!). But I have a car, and may be getting a job (just waiting for the call) so their worries about lessons and such are gone!

I'm almost in year 12 though (a few weeks) so is it still a good idea? I played clarinet for a year or two when I was little haha so quite limited experience

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I know it's been ages since this post, but I still haven't picked up violin because my parents didn't really allow it... Partly because of money, but mostly they were worried about my time for study (pissed me of so much!!!!!). But I have a car, and may be getting a job (just waiting for the call) so their worries about lessons and such are gone!

I'm almost in year 12 though (a few weeks) so is it still a good idea? I played clarinet for a year or two when I was little haha so quite limited experience
If you have good time management skills then yeah. The thing is how are you going to squeeze in time in order to play an instrument (as well as take lessons) when you have to study and have a part-time job?

Also in the holidays, how much do you plan to study and work, because I'm not sure how you're going to fit in music practice in that?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)