Medicine Info Needed!! (1 Viewer)

popandi22

HSC
Hey,

I was wondering, already half way through the year (How time flies). Is it possible for me to do undergraduate medicine at UWS/UNSW? I go to a average school and doing fairly well in all my subjects (All rankings in top 20). I just don't want to depress myself in the thought I might not get a required ATAR. Any suggestions or motivation?

FYI: My subjects are Ext 1 Math, Adv Eng, Physics, Chemistry, IPT (Accelerated), Engineering Studies.

Thank You for reading :awesome:

enoilgam

HSC
Possible yes, likely no. You realistically need a 99+ ATAR and a very strong UMAT score just to be competitive. Assuming you go to a truly average school (rank 300ish), you would need to be 1st or 2nd across all subjects to have a decent chance.

I dont mean to be pessimistic, but medicine isnt to be taken lightly. It is a very difficult course to get into, much more so than the vast majority of courses. You should be as realistic as possible.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Medicine is a really competitive course, any course will allow you to get 99.95, so don't worry about your subjects. For example, USYD Med is 99.95, and UNSW Med is 99.9

Always be realistic though. But you still have a year to figure things out.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I heard UWS med requires only 95 ATAR and has a pretty good medicine faculty as they are working in conjunction with Westmead hospital

hollytrieu

HSC
N/A
Yeah but that's the absolute MINIMUM ATAR requirement. To be competitive you need a much higher ATAR
No, for uws, it's just a threshold, once you pass that threshold they rank you based on umat score, so it doesn't matter if person A has a 99 atar and person b has a 96 atar, there is no advantage. If person b had a higher umat score, then they would be at an advantage.

popandi22

HSC
Thank You All for your Reply. I will take a long hard think about this. Thank You Again. :haha:

westernsydneyu

HSC
If you satisfy the minimum academic requirements and meet UMAT thresholds, you will be invited for an interview. Offers for the MBBS course will then be based on interview perfomance and UMAT results. Please view the School of Medicine admission page for further details about the admission process: http://www.westernsydney.edu.au/medicine/som/applying_to_medicine/mbbs. Good luck! Western

chrisx000

HSC
What everyone is telling you about the 99.9 atar is only for undergraduate medicine. There are many different ways to get into medicine. Most universities only do a postgraduate medicine course which means you need to compete a three year course of whatever you want and then transfer into medicine so at the moment you only need to worry about attaining the atar of the undergraduate course you want to take before doing your medicine course.

A1P

HSC
Most universities only do a postgraduate medicine course which means you need to compete a three year course of whatever you want and then transfer into medicine
It's not a transfer, same as we don't call completing HSC then commencing uni a transfer. Complete a Bach degree, do GAMSAT then apply for a postgrad MD place, and beware the application process is not any easier than trying after Y12.

Also note during undergrad years you can sit UMAT and apply for undergrad med at several unis, based on your GPA. If get in you start from first year again so it's not a transfer either.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Whilst the aforementioned advice given in this thread has been thoughtful, OP, ask yourself a serious question-do you really want to pursue medicine and do you have the tenacity and perseverance to pursue it even if you don't succeed the first go-because from the sounds of your post, you don't want to depress yourself if you don't get required ATAR, are you sure you really want to do medicine because you love it or because it gives job stability and seems good. If it is a course that you are not willing to pursue if you fail to get into it the first go, it is not a course you should pursue because you will be stuck with it for a good 5 years at least even if you get in, so perhaps now is a good time to really consider what you want and fight for it.

Venus67

HSC
N/A
I'm 1st year Uni student with ATAR 99.05 (HSC 2015) + 1st semester WAM : 82.5 and UMAT 94 percentile.
I appreciate if anyone can tell me if I have a chance for interview at UNSW, UWS and UON

Many thanks in advance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)