Really concerned about school (1 Viewer)

hughmcf

HSC
Hey guys,

So I've been having this concern for a while now, and that is if I'm going to be anywhere near ready for the HSC. I've spent most of high school dreading senior school (as I think most people do), and I always pictured it to be something really difficult, but something which I would be ready for. Turns out, it has been the complete opposite.

I've found Yr. 11 to be quite easy and I don't feel like I've done much work. This has made me quite worried for the HSC, as I am concerned that I'm completely unready for it.

So I need to straighten a few things out. Firstly, I am quite a good student on paper. In these half yearlys, I topped three of my classes; in the Modern History exam I got 98%. But I'm really not trying to brag about this, because even though I'm very happy about it, I don't feel like I've earned it.

This year, I've hardly put my head down and worked. Whenever I have an assignment or exam to prepare for, I sit down at my computer, and proceed to waste the entire day procrastinating. I know I'm not the only one who does this, but I shouldn't be getting these marks like that. I do really well in exams, and I won't lie, I am very good at those, but I never study. Anyways, I'm genuinely scared that I'm completely unprepared for the HSC. I'm hoping that someone can either tell me that I'm going down the wrong track, or that I'm fine. Anything. I just need to know, since I have no idea if I'm throwing away my future or if I'm going well.

Essentially, I don't know how to study, I do my homework and assignments at the last second and I never push myself further than what is required by the curriculum. I have poor self motivation and I am a chronic procrastinator. It feels like I should be dropping out by now, and yet somehow I'm still doing extremely well in all of my subjects. It also makes me feel bad because my friends who tried really hard didn't even come close to me in some things, and I didn't even work for it... :/

So I guess I'm asking for help. If you've been through the HSC already (or are currently doing it), was this something that happened to you, or were you already well and truly in your game by the end of Yr. 11?

If you're doing Yr. 11 right now, how much study do you do? Does my story bare any resemblance to yours?

Sorry for the mildly depressing story by the way. I'm the life of all the parties...

slabfinder

HSC
I have the exact same problem. I'm in year 11 and I haven't really grown out of my poor habits from year 10/9 - procrastinating and leaving things until the last minute. I also have gone pretty well too, I'm coming first in Ancient and pretty good with Physics and Chem.

However I really need to step up this term as I'm stressing out quite a bit. I told myself I would do preparation for the upcoming exams this term but all I've done is procrastinated and avoided any work I can.

Study-wise, I do very little. Best thing you can do with content based subjects I think is write out study notes (whatever works for you) on each of the dot points in the preliminary syllabus as that's what will be in the exam. Although, I'm probably not the best person to ask..

I wish you luck but my main advice is just to start getting into the routine for studying and by this term you should ultimately know how to study and break those bad habits of procrastinating, particularly with year 12 just around the corner.

Dragon9000

HSC
N/A
I'm in year 11, and I guess a couple of tips would be:

1. Do a little bit of work each night or bi-nightly on assignments/study - Every night or every 2nd night, donate a little bit of time towards doing it (30 mins-1 hour), and you can get what is needed done way before the due date. Using this, I can typically finish an assignment 1-2 nights before the due date.

2. Set goals, and achieve them - On a small scale this can be "finish _________, and I cannot go on the computer (or whatever) until this is done", then I do it. Then I keep on making the goal bigger. It doesn't need to be a big leap, but a small section of work.

3. Make sure your computer is away from you (for studying) - Out of sight. Put it on the opposite side of the room.

4. Planner - Some of my friends use a planner, to plan what they are going to do at certain times. Personally, I just use a TODO list, with some notes on it. Keep to that plan (make sure you include breaks). I'd probably suggest to not reward yourself with computer time, since it can lead to procrastination. Go outside for a walk or something.

5. Change of scenery - I like this one, and it might help you. Change where you study, make it fun for yourself. Take your notes, go up to the park or something. Move to a new room in the house. Lay on the floor. Do something different than what you usually do, and it refreshes you a bit.

These are just some things that I do to keep on top of my work and keep well ahead of any due dates (+ no late nights).

Last edited:

hughmcf

HSC
It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one in this situation.

Thanks to both of you for the advice, it's super helpful! I'm going to put all of it into practice today :D Seriously, you guys have been great. Cheers.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Guys. You NEED goals. You NEED something to push for. I was in your position end of year 11 - at the beginning I was into my studies and work because I KNEW what I wanted after the HSC. But then that goal disspeared (due to personal reasons) and I was in your position. Procrastinating etc... And guess what - I'm in my last term of year 12 and I'm still floating through. Floating because I have no goal. I mean I'm typing this post when I have 2 assessments due this week.

So in the end, have a focus and that will posses higher leverage over your procrastinating in the end. And don't give me that old, "Med is soooo cool I would do anything to get in, but why do I procrastinate?" - Because this just shows you're superficially in it, if you really wanted Med (or anything else, Med just an example) you would push and push on.

TL;DR: Have a goal. Doesn't need to be a certain degree etc. If its "Get above 90 ATAR" then that's fine. As long as you provde a why

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I was pree chill in yr11

For me, I kind of just switched on after the yearlies in y11. Like, I kind of justified procrastinating pre-yr12 on the basis that it didn't actually count for anything. When it counted, I started working.

I kind of get what you mean with the kind of "umm.." feeling you get when you don't try and do well. The best way to fix that imo is to compete against yourself. Ask yourself, hypothetically, if you wanted to completely overkill the HSC how would you do it? Then do it.

Don't work hard to beat everyone else. Work hard to beat your own expectations, if that makes sense.

hughmcf

HSC
Awesome advice guys ^^ I really, really appreciate it!

I've already been putting some of the advice into my work today, but I'm going to apply that as well. Thanks a tonne :)

SudhiTheBoat

HSC
Eat healthy, sleep on time, clean your workplace, listen to good music, keep your laptop/books upto date, pack for the following day the night before, de-activate facebook, turn your phone off after 8pm, enjoy guilt-free parties, wake up early and get something done, make friends with the right people, don't eat infront of your computer, get a gym membership, get a part-time/casual job, spend time with family, uninstall League of Legends/DOTA/CSGO etc.

If I counted correctly I probably do about 5 of the things listed above LOL. Basically just discipline yourself. Whenever you spend time procrastinating make sure you EARNED it.

Your ATAR doesn't matter an hour after you get it, just have fun in year 12 and build positive relationships with teachers.

I'm a hypocrite, yes - but hopefully it helps you xD

-Sud

SudhiTheBoat

HSC
Oh and also, don't get a grillfriend - now I follow 6 of the things listed above (-:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)