Taking up extra-circulars in Year 11 (1 Viewer)

iamastar

HSC
Will this affect my studies and overall performance? For example, if I want to take up a hobby like sport, music etc in between study times or like on weekends, will this have an impact on my goal - which is to get an ATAR above 97?

Or is there no use studying 24/7 and throwing in a bit of fun in between won't do so as much harm?

I realise Year 10/11/12 are pretty important years and I do not want to screw up by wasting time when I could be studying and bettering myself.

keepLooking

HSC
It is actually recommended that you take up extracurricular activities, it will let you have a break from study and is also beneficial when applying for scholarships, Co-op, etc..

I would definitely recommend you to enjoy Year 10 and half-way of Year 11.

HSC
It is actually recommended that you take up extracurricular activities, it will let you have a break from study and is also beneficial when applying for scholarships, Co-op, etc..

I would definitely recommend you to enjoy Year 10 and half-way of Year 11.
I agree*

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
I don't think it should if you manage your time well, doing extra-curriculars actually act as a great way for letting your mind experience new things and will hopefully keep you more excited and motivated to tackle your school work. You'll find that this also is a great way of making the most of your high school experience!

I went to Kings and they really encouraged extra-curricular activities and I found that it provided a nice balance to my study, the difficult thing was with commitments clashing with tutoring but I always found a way of dealing with that.

In all honesty it comes down to how much your actually prepared to study as well, if your going to commit yourself to studying 4 hours every night and 12 hours on the weekend then honestly you'll be fine to just studying and not worrying about anything else and strive for that state ranking. If you find yourself taking days and weekends to not study and just relax, watch tv or even play video games -> replace those times with extra-curricular activities you enjoy; if you keep your mind focused on self-improvement you might end up studying more!

calamebe

HSC
Yeah, I think having extra-curricular activities is very beneficial. Personally, I play soccer and guitar, and am undertaking the Duke of Edinburgh award (which means I volunteer every week and go on hikes 3-4 times a year). I still do really well in my subjects, and never really feel as though they take up too much of my time. I think if you manage your time well they will not effect your work. Also, it's good to get out of studying and do something not school-related, life doesn't revolve entirely around education! Keep that in mind.

Dragon9000

HSC
N/A
Personally, I play soccer and guitar, and am undertaking the Duke of Edinburgh award (which means I volunteer every week and go on hikes 3-4 times a year).
3-4 times a year? Wow we only ever did 2/year, the prep journey and qualifying journey.

calamebe

HSC
3-4 times a year? Wow we only ever did 2/year, the prep journey and qualifying journey.
Yeah, we only have to do 2 hikes, but I like hikes so I sometimes go on extra, which increases the number.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)