How to study? (1 Viewer)

dragon658

HSC
So,

I've had an epiphany. I'm going to have to do some serious catching up/re-learning and most importantly actually implement a study timetable. I've gone through most of the prelim course for Chemistry and Physics waffling my way through, not actually learning much. Modern history is fine, English is not bad, Legal Studies has the potential to be one of my higher achieving subjects. I've written Maths (Advanced maths. As in I do my HSC this year in year 11) off as though it has crashed, which it has (No chance of the mark going towards my HSC, I have a 50% average to work with and as much as I've tried I just don't find myself studying for it). Anyhow, with 10 units left for year 12 and no leeway, I have no choice but to begin nailing the Physics and Chem course. Chemistry is going to be hell and I realise I cannot rely on my teacher, who is regularly 5-10 minutes late EVERY lesson and can't really 'teach'. I think I've got the necessary resources to get going, I just need to.

Any tips on how to set-up a study timetable or actually study?? With year 12 starting next term I hope to have everything pretty brushed up by the time I start the HSC courses. I'm glad in a way that maths has turned out the way it has. It's pretty much exactly where my Physics and Chemistry marks are going although I've recognised the issue, I just have to act now. Before it gets too late.

Thanks guys,
It's gonna be a difficult road. I feel as though Chemistry and Physics are quite literally the only road blocks.

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
The first tip is to just relax and understand that heaps of people are in the same boat as you. The point is, you shouldn't feel that you have to do this alone, your friends and other graduates of the HSC had to come across similar issues.

If you're stumped on your sciences the honest advice anyone would give is to simply study your heart out and ask your friends in other classes to make sure you're not missing out on anything important because of your teacher. If you heavily don't rely on your teacher try requesting to change classes, this is actually more common than you think. In a more realistic sense, try your best in class and hopefully you start improving by sheer effort.

In terms of studying effectively everyone has their own idea of studying but the worst thing that could happen is that you end up creating a 'study schedule' you never follow because you set your expectations way too high. I honestly suggest try and make it a habit to hit the books and this might just be spending time at a library, forming a study group or simply dedicating hours at home to 'no distractions' and simply studying.

I wrote an article that I've posted a couple times on this forum so if you wanted to give it a read it might give you some ideas http://www.ssedu.com.au/the-4-fundamental-habits-of-a-band-6-student/

There are also other posts here on this forum about studying effectively that are definitely worth a read.

Simorgh

HSC
When if thats the case you are going to have to drop either Physics or Chemistry.

In my opinion you should drop, Chemistry. If you don't know the basic concepts that you should have learnt in Year 11 than it will be much harder for you to cope with HSC Chem as they expect you know all that by now. Whereas this isn't necessarily the case with Physics.

Alot of of things in HSC Physics escpeially in the Space topic are quite similar to what they taught in Moving About like the formulas and concepts, where they reteach all that with some minor changes.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
When if thats the case you are going to have to drop either Physics or Chemistry.

In my opinion you should drop, Chemistry. If you don't know the basic concepts that you should have learnt in Year 11 than it will be much harder for you to cope with HSC Chem as they expect you know all that by now. Whereas this isn't necessarily the case with Physics.

Alot of of things in HSC Physics escpeially in the Space topic are quite similar to what they taught in Moving About like the formulas and concepts, where they reteach all that with some minor changes.
^this

Also dragon658, I'd suggest you to cram the shit out of the whole prelim physics and chem syllabus and identify your weak points. Once they are identified, start working from there

dragon658

HSC
Yeah cheers for the response guys, the issue is I CANNOT drop physics or chem. I've completely messed up my 2 unit, thus, I have 10 units left.

Simorgh

HSC
Yeah cheers for the response guys, the issue is I CANNOT drop physics or chem. I've completely messed up my 2 unit, thus, I have 10 units left.
Than you have to really to catch up or otherwise you are gonna be struggling for Yr 12 especially in Chem.

You have to really up your game and focus on your studies from now on. Now that you have to do Phys and Chem at least try to take an interest in them now.

You chose those subjects so you should be adequate time and effort into them. Its not just you I know people who are in your situation, they choose all these subjects in Yr 10 just becuase of scalling and suddenly when it comes to doing those subjects in Yr 11 they dont put any effort let alone interest in those subjects and get low marks. Your situation is all to familiar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)