Year 11 moving to 12 considering 4U Maths (1 Viewer)

giddo244

HSC
Hello all. I'm currently contemplating whether I should do 4U Maths for the HSC year. I do not consider myself particularly talented and attend an average Catholic school in the Penrith region. Would you guys mind sharing insights as to what I must take into consideration before going ahead with the decision?

hedgehog_7

HSC
In regards to taking 4U maths, if you really consider yourself an average mathematician and looking towards a 90+ for MX2, you have to bear in mind that taking this course really requires dedication and a LOT of work; what i mean by a lot of work im talking about generally a couple hours EVERYDAY working on 4u to really grasp the concepts and to be fair, questions in 4u arent straightforward. They will contain concepts but the more difficult 4u questions require creative thinking its not linear and straightforward like 3u. Sometimes it can be really frustrating how difficult and obscure questions can really be.

If you are looking to take on the extra workload and i mean a lot and a lot of extra work by all means take 4u. But the other option is to just bang out 2u like 97-100 overall which is equivalent to a 90-92 4u. This 2u route requires a heap less work which frees up a LOT of time to work on other subjects which you can improve on.

Just remember 4u is a shitload of extra work.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
You have to have a love for maths because it'll take a lot of studying and work to do well as the concepts will get confusing at times.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
If you're worried about the workload in 4U, I'd suggest you self learn all of 3U in the school holidays and do past papers so then you can free up your time for 4U maths (srs)

And remember whenever you're stuck on a problem, don't just sit there, ask questions for help, you learn via mistakes and asking people for help

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
If you're worried about the workload in 4U, I'd suggest you self learn all of 3U in the school holidays and do past papers so then you can free up your time for 4U maths (srs)

And remember whenever you're stuck on a problem, don't just sit there, ask questions for help, you learn via mistakes and asking people for help
Isn't it a bit unrealistic to expect to self-learn a whole HSC course (plus do past papers on top of that) in the holidays? You'd probably burn yourself out.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Isn't it a bit unrealistic to expect to self-learn a whole HSC course (plus do past papers on top of that) in the holidays? You'd probably burn yourself out.
Depends on how you manage it though. If you were to spend your whole day studying maths and just maths, then yeah you'll probably burn yourself out but if you mix it up a little (by changing what subjects you study around) then I guess not so much

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Depends on how you manage it though. If you were to spend your whole day studying maths and just maths, then yeah you'll probably burn yourself out but if you mix it up a little (by changing what subjects you study around) then I guess not so much
You can't finish the entire course in the 2 week holidays. Matrix has like 10 x 3 hour classes in the holidays and still only finish around 4+ topics.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
You can't finish the entire course in the 2 week holidays. Matrix has like 10 x 3 hour classes in the holidays and still only finish around 4+ topics.
This made me think that I should actually try and study 8 modules in the holidays (for phys and chem) lol

But seriously I think you can but you're going to have to spend so much time going through the content during the day. Also during the day you need to mix it up

Also I'm referring to the Christmas/end of year holidays

(getting back on topic) For the holidays coming up (2 week one), I'd suggest you learn all the topics you're school is going to cover in term 1 HSC (for 3U) and then when it's the end of year holidays, self learn the rest

si2136

HSC
N/A
Exactly. I don't go to Matrix but it would take at least take a month and a bit to finish year 11 and 12 3U Maths with revision.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
This made me think that I should actually try and study 8 modules in the holidays (for phys and chem) lol

But seriously I think you can but you're going to have to spend so much time going through the content during the day. Also during the day you need to mix it up

Also I'm referring to the Christmas/end of year holidays

(getting back on topic) For the holidays coming up (2 week one), I'd suggest you learn all the topics you're school is going to cover in term 1 HSC (for 3U) and then when it's the end of year holidays, self learn the rest
Ok yes that's right. Do the first module in the 2 week one then the rest in the christmas holidays possibly.

giddo244

HSC
So if I were to say that I'm ranking first in my school's 2U course with ~90% and second in 3U with ~75% and really only have some trouble with graphing, should I stil consider? Also by self learning the first module for term 1, are you referring to what my school will teach for that term or something else?
Also I absolutely love maths, otherwise I wouldn't be asking

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
So if I were to say that I'm ranking first in my school's 2U course with ~90% and second in 3U with ~75% and really only have some trouble with graphing, should I stil consider? Also by self learning the first module for term 1, are you referring to what my school will teach for that term or something else?
Also I absolutely love maths, otherwise I wouldn't be asking������
Yeah the topics your school learns in that term. Also if you're high ranking then yeah you probably can do it. How are you first with 90% though are your exams really hard?

giddo244

HSC
That's what my teacher told when I asked him recently. I suscept that it was my first exam that really pulled my grades down...I think I got 80% in that and 100% in mid terms.

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd definitely suggest doing 4U in school if you can. The advantage that 4U gave to me especially for all my maths (and physics 1a) courses was insane (integration by parts, complex numbers, calculus techniques, mechanics).

If you can't handle it, then drop it but definitely give it a try at first. Especially when you have complex numbers as your first topic then it shouldn't be too difficult.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
With your grades, what are you agonizing over? Just do it.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Yeah but is 75% in 3 unit even enough to do 4 unit
Personally I'd think yes

If you're getting 50% in 3U (or less) and want to do 4U, you're going to have to hone up your 3U maths skills and ensure that they're very strong

calamebe

HSC
I'd recommend you try to do 4U, if it gets too hard you can drop, and in my opinion it is much more fun and interesting than 3U. Really, from my experience it doesn't require you to give up every aspect of your life, I've been able to do really well in 4U without studying 3 hours everyday, probably about 2-4 hours a week. If you enjoy maths, I'd say give it a shot.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I'd recommend you try to do 4U, if it gets too hard you can drop, and in my opinion it is much more fun and interesting than 3U. Really, from my experience it doesn't require you to give up every aspect of your life, I've been able to do really well in 4U without studying 3 hours everyday, probably about 2-4 hours a week. If you enjoy maths, I'd say give it a shot.
How hard was it (in your opinion) calambe?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)