Why do we have to memorise quotes? (1 Viewer)

e__llie

HSC
It's stupid? You'll be marked down if you don't put quotes from texts in essays and seeing as there's so many different essay questions you could get some of the things you memorise might not even be relevant to the question. What's the harm in bringing in a piece of paper with a quotes on it that teachers can check before you go in? You could write the most amazing essay but if you couldn't memorise all the quotes, page numbers or bible references you'll be marked down big time. Its stupid, exams shouldn't be about which student can cram the most in their head or which student is lucky enough to know the right ones for the question it should be about which student can actually format and write a good essay!

edit: Think like maths where you get a formula sheet. The point isn't that you can recite the formula the point is that you know how to use and apply the formula. imo it should be the same thing with subjects that require quotes for essays.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
It's stupid? You'll be marked down if you don't put quotes from texts in essays and seeing as there's so many different essay questions you could get some of the things you memorise might not even be relevant to the question. What's the harm in bringing in a piece of paper with a quotes on it that teachers can check before you go in? You could write the most amazing essay but if you couldn't memorise all the quotes, page numbers or bible references you'll be marked down big time. Its stupid, exams shouldn't be about which student can cram the most in their head or which student is lucky enough to know the right ones for the question it should be about which student can actually format and write a good essay!
It's really a rule that all ppl have to follow tbh. That's like saying why do I have to memorise a maths formula (now we're given formula sheets)

e__llie

HSC
It's really a rule that all ppl have to follow tbh. That's like saying why do I have to memorise a maths formula (now we're given formula sheets)
We're given formula sheets because the important thing is what you do with the formula not that you know it. It should be the same with essay writing, you can memorise quotes all you like but if you dont have the skill to write the actual essay then there's no point

Simorgh

HSC
You complaining won't change anything. Suck it up if you don't like memorising quotes.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Area of Study is pointless, we're manipulating a concept of some sort (Journey, Belonging etc.) to convey a message in a text.

Our education system is pointless, it's not based on the effort, but your Rote skills.

Well that's a way to measure everyone, and the best way yet, so unless you could think of a better one, then so be it.

We remember quotes as it supports our argument and it shows that we actually put 'effort' into our work.

laloola

HSC
N/A
in the process of memorising my quotes and analysis for tomorrow o_o"

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
I agree that it does sound pretty useless to quote but I like to think of it like providing evidence, for example it gets you in the habit of not just saying something but proving that it actually is the case, just like providing a statistic.

e__llie

HSC
I agree that it does sound pretty useless to quote but I like to think of it like providing evidence, for example it gets you in the habit of not just saying something but proving that it actually is the case, just like providing a statistic.
yeah yeah having quotes is essential right im just saying it should be like maths, you get a formula sheet for maths because theres no point memorising a formula if you dont know what to do with it. You should be able to have a sheet with quotes because theres no point memorising a quote if you dont have the writing skills

Simorgh

HSC
yeah yeah having quotes is essential right im just saying it should be like maths, you get a formula sheet for maths because theres no point memorising a formula if you dont know what to do with it. You should be able to have a sheet with quotes because theres no point memorising a quote if you dont have the writing skills
Go conplain to the Board of Studies or whoever sets these tests. Why complain here? What difference will it make?

e__llie

HSC
Go conplain to the Board of Studies or whoever sets these tests. Why complain here? What difference will it make?
Man why'd you comment twice, what difference is that gonna make. If you're just gonna be an arse about it stop stalking the thread lmao

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
You can always make up quotes if your quotes don't quite fit *

*Potential risky but the likelihood of anyone realising is really improbable.

e__llie

HSC
You can always make up quotes if your quotes don't quite fit *

*Potential risky but the likelihood of anyone realising is really improbable.
hahah yeah my english teacher said we could use a story we wrote if we really want but i thought instead of actually writing something just make up quotes on the go and boom you're done

sourmilk

HSC
If you can't remember something as simple as quotes, when you have to memorise body paragraphs for four different essays - then you shouldn't even be concerned that it'll be detrimental to your final mark...
It's similar to maths in the aspect that you choose a quote and manipulate it to fit the questions, there are quotes that can apply to numerous questions, don't think one quote is applicable to one question. Besides, if they do give you a 'quote sheet', they'll make the exam more harder.... like they are going to do with Maths, but I'm pretty sure someone who can't memorise quotes won't survive the difficulty of the test now, and even if they give us a 'quote sheet' lol
Sorry for sounding hostile but your complaint and argument just seems really dumb and childish

Simorgh

HSC
Man why'd you comment twice, what difference is that gonna make. If you're just gonna be a dickhead about it stop stalking the thread lmao
Why you calling me a dickhead? You are wasting your time here by making a thread when you could have been instead studying for your English test and memorising those quotes.

e__llie

HSC
Why you calling me a dickhead? You are wasting your time here by making a thread when you could have been instead studying for your English test and memorising those quotes.
If we're talking about wasting time you're the one getting in a fight with someone on a school website

e__llie

HSC
If you can't remember something as simple as quotes, when you have to memorise body paragraphs for four different essays - then you shouldn't even be concerned that it'll be detrimental to your final mark...
It's similar to maths in the aspect that you choose a quote and manipulate it to fit the questions, there are quotes that can apply to numerous questions, don't think one quote is applicable to one question. Besides, if they do give you a 'quote sheet', they'll make the exam more harder.... like they are going to do with Maths, but I'm pretty sure someone who can't memorise quotes won't survive the difficulty of the test now, and even if they give us a 'quote sheet' lol
Sorry for sounding hostile but your complaint and argument just seems really dumb and childish
A lot of what you said yeah alright that's reasonable but i don't understand why my arguments childish? My point is school shouldn't be about which student can cram the most into their head. Someone could do jack all year but have a good memory and do alright, but someone who pays attention and actually learns could have a crap memory and suffer for that.

Simorgh

HSC
If we're talking about wasting time you're the one getting in a fight with someone on a school website
I am not though and didnt think we were fighting until you called me a dickhead. I was simply giving you helpful suggestions and better ways to vent your frustration on this issue you have with memorising quotes.

Its frustrating that there are people like you out there.

e__llie

HSC
I am not though and didnt think we were fighting until you called me a dickhead. I was simply giving you helpful suggestions and better ways to vent your frustration on this issue you have with memorising quotes.

Its frustrating that there are people like you out there.
Don't know about you but telling someone to suck it up doesn't seem helpful to me, also do you think BOS is going to change anything any time soon when they cant even keep their website up over the weekend lol (every sunday i swear to god)

Simorgh

HSC
Don't know about you but telling someone to suck it up doesn't seem helpful to me, also do you think BOS is going to change anything any time soon when they cant even keep their website up over the weekend lol (every sunday i swear to god)
Neither does calling a mate whose trying to help you a dickhead.

Btw you can bug them about this issue.

Phone: +61 2 9367 8276
Email: curriculum@bos.nsw.edu.au

Your welcome

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)