Whether to Continue with 2 Unit (1 Viewer)

shadowfold15

HSC
This year I havnt been bludging but I havnt been trying and now I got my yearlys back and i got 17%. I need to continue 2 Unit so i can go my Computer Science Degree but I feel like I can catch up but I only got 4 weeks but my math teacher said we dont start hsc course till week 3 next term. I know the basics of each topic just not trig and thats the reason why i got 17%. Im willing to make the effort which is studying everyday and maybe 1 day off on the weekend but till hsc starts and continue with that so I dont fall back again but is this possible I was getting 70-85% last year in math every test but we did them after every topic so the information was fresh but for my last yearlys they werent even though i did study 18 hours the day before the exam. Should I drop to general or study and catch up.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
You could always keep 12 units and know that mathematics may not count.

shadowfold15

HSC
You could always keep 12 units and know that mathematics may not count.
Not possible since ill have 11 units cause im doing 2 non atar subjects Catholic studies (which is compulsory) and SLR but i wont be doing slr but next year catholic studies continues since I got to a catholic school.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Not possible since ill have 11 units cause im doing 2 non atar subjects Catholic studies (which is compulsory) and SLR but i wont be doing slr but next year catholic studies continues since I got to a catholic school.
Probably best to drop down to general then.

shadowfold15

HSC
Not really 17% is pretty hard to improve on lol
Another thing is that I might not be able to drop since already General Math is full and 5-6 people in 2 unit want to drop and they would get chosen over me since they get lower than 17%. So No life study might be my only option.

Flop21

HSC
This year I havnt been bludging but I havnt been trying and now I got my yearlys back and i got 17%. I need to continue 2 Unit so i can go my Computer Science Degree but I feel like I can catch up but I only got 4 weeks but my math teacher said we dont start hsc course till week 3 next term. I know the basics of each topic just not trig and thats the reason why i got 17%. Im willing to make the effort which is studying everyday and maybe 1 day off on the weekend but till hsc starts and continue with that so I dont fall back again but is this possible I was getting 70-85% last year in math every test but we did them after every topic so the information was fresh but for my last yearlys they werent even though i did study 18 hours the day before the exam. Should I drop to general or study and catch up.
You won't be able to do computer science if you drop to general. The first year math subjects you have to take in computer science assume extension 1 maths at LEAST. I only did 2u, and am struggling, but plenty of people have done only 2u and done fine, so don't worry. But I'm going to guess there's little chance of you passing uni math if you can't do 2u.

So you have to have a think if you want to do computer science, and if you do, if you're willing to fix your study habits for math.

I'm not trying to put you off computer science, in fact I recommend you go for it if you're interested. I just recommend you keep your 2u math.

Obviously something is going very wrong with your study technique. Only you will be able to tell what you're doing wrong. Are you actually doing math and homework every day (at least every school day)? Make sure you are. It's a subject that needs tonnes of practice.

Make sure you know plenty in advance when any assessment/test is coming up. Put it in your calendar and remind yourself 2 weeks at LEAST in advance, so you can start revising for 2 weeks. You could increase this if you think it's still not enough time.

I think you can definitely increase your marks if you recognise where you went wrong and fix up whatever is getting you low marks. But obviously you have to be careful because you don't want to get the same marks again in the HSC because it will bring your ATAR down and you might not even get into comp sci.

shadowfold15

HSC
You won't be able to do computer science if you drop to general. The first year math subjects you have to take in computer science assume extension 1 maths at LEAST. I only did 2u, and am struggling, but plenty of people have done only 2u and done fine, so don't worry. But I'm going to guess there's little chance of you passing uni math if you can't do 2u.

So you have to have a think if you want to do computer science, and if you do, if you're willing to fix your study habits for math.

I'm not trying to put you off computer science, in fact I recommend you go for it if you're interested. I just recommend you keep your 2u math.

Obviously something is going very wrong with your study technique. Only you will be able to tell what you're doing wrong. Are you actually doing math and homework every day (at least every school day)? Make sure you are. It's a subject that needs tonnes of practice.

Make sure you know plenty in advance when any assessment/test is coming up. Put it in your calendar and remind yourself 2 weeks at LEAST in advance, so you can start revising for 2 weeks. You could increase this if you think it's still not enough time.

I think you can definitely increase your marks if you recognise where you went wrong and fix up whatever is getting you low marks. But obviously you have to be careful because you don't want to get the same marks again in the HSC because it will bring your ATAR down and you might not even get into comp sci.
I know why I got the bad results and It wasn't doing stuff at home only at school and now this is a very BIG wakeup call for me and I have made a study plan and I know ill have to do a minium for 4-6 hours per day on math just to catch up. I know its very unlikely and will take alot of HARD work to go from 17% in prelim to 80%+ in HSC but looks like ill have to sacrifice alot just so im able to get into that course which im very passionate about.

Flop21

HSC
I know why I got the bad results and It wasn't doing stuff at home only at school and now this is a very BIG wakeup call for me and I have made a study plan and I know ill have to do a minium for 4-6 hours per day on math just to catch up. I know its very unlikely and will take alot of HARD work to go from 17% in prelim to 80%+ in HSC but looks like ill have to sacrifice alot just so im able to get into that course which im very passionate about.
Go for it then. You don't have to go crazy, just make sure you're consistent and do at least an hour a day. More for upcoming exams.

shadowfold15

HSC
Go for it then. You don't have to go crazy, just make sure you're consistent and do at least an hour a day. More for upcoming exams.
Yeah thank you for the help and my next exams wont be till term 2 of year 12 so i got around 5 months to get from 17% to 80% so it should be plenty of time to get my study schedule down and to improve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)