Dropping To 11 Units For The HSC!!?? (1 Viewer)

flashguts321

HSC
I am currently in Year 11, studying;
- English Advanced
- 2 Unit Mathematics
- Modern History
- Ancient History
- Economics
- Business Studies

This means I currently have 12 units.

However, this year I really underachieved in economics and didn't enjoy the course at all. I also loved both histories and want to pick up History Extension. If I drop economics and pick up history extension, I will have 11 units.

I was wondering is there a point doing History Extension because doesn't the HSC just count your best 10 units and since History Extension is 1 unit then they would not count it no matter how well I did?? Because if they didn't count another subject then I would only have 9 units to count??!!

Basically, does dropping Economics and picking up History Extension for 11 units make sense in my case? Thanks :)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I am currently in Year 11, studying;
- English Advanced
- 2 Unit Mathematics
- Modern History
- Ancient History
- Economics
- Business Studies

This means I currently have 12 units.

However, this year I really underachieved in economics and didn't enjoy the course at all. I also loved both histories and want to pick up History Extension. If I drop economics and pick up history extension, I will have 11 units.

I was wondering is there a point doing History Extension because doesn't the HSC just count your best 10 units and since History Extension is 1 unit then they would not count it no matter how well I did?? Because if they didn't count another subject then I would only have 9 units to count??!!

Basically, does dropping Economics and picking up History Extension for 11 units make sense in my case? Thanks :)
YEah just do it. I see no harm in that

flashguts321

HSC
But will they only count 10 units meaning they won't count my history no matter what?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
But will they only count 10 units meaning they won't count my history no matter what?
If you fail a 2 unit course the history extension will count instead of 1 unit of the 2 unit course. E.g. you fail business, so only 1 unit of business counts and 1 unit of history

flashguts321

HSC
I sorta get what you're saying but not really sure what you mean by counting 1 unit of a 2 unit subject. I didn't know you could split 2 unit subjects and only count 1 of them?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I sorta get what you're saying but not really sure what you mean by counting 1 unit of a 2 unit subject. I didn't know you could split 2 unit subjects and only count 1 of them?
I think they split every subject into 1 unit out of 50 or something around those lines

kashkow

HSC
Yeah,

It's your top 10 units but they do not count the 2 units in a 2 unit subject together... (Exception English where they must take your 2 best English units as that's compulsory)

Rather, the 2 unit subjects gets considered as single 1 units out of 50 and they add up to an aggregate out of 500.

So they will select your 10 BEST units. So, let's just say that extension history is better than your Maths for example and your Maths is your worst subject. They will include the 10 BEST units for your subjects, including the extension history (1 Unit) since it is beating Maths. That totals to 9 Units without maths; and since Maths is your worst subject (but they must have 10 units) they only include 1 unit of maths and the other unit gets disregarded.

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
Definitely do it, even if it doesn't end up counting you usually do extension units because you're interested in it anyway so you won't be wasting any of your time.

I did 11 units and my ext. english didn't count but I still appreciate the fact that I had that skill + the course was pretty interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)