some problems in year 11 going into hsc. (1 Viewer)

ek102

HSC
N/A
Hi, currently im at 12 units for the preliminary course, and for my HSC subjects im wishing to drop 2 subjects (worth 3 units) and pick up Maths Ext 2. which then will bring me to a total of 10 units. However the head maths teacher in my school told me it was an invitational subject and that i wont be allowed to take or have the capabilities to take on the course. Are teachers allowed to do this? Ive performed fairly average in my past 3 maths extension courses this year, with fair improvement (in my opinion) and have been really wanting to do maths 4u and decided that since the end of the first term in year 11, not only this but im also not allowed to drop subjects to take on maths ext 2? (im completely useless at the 2 subjects im dropping).

Is this true? I've only ever thought about doing 10 units including 4u maths and nothing else.

Shoesta

HSC
Hi, Extension 2 mathematics is an extremely difficult subject, that requires large amounts of effort and time, if you are student that is aiming for a high band E4. Obviously if you believe you can attempt extension 2, you must be a very good student, intelligently, and a hard worker.

However, I can easily see your teachers concerns. As you are aware (I hope), in NSW, a student must have 10 units at the MINIMUM. If you happen to fall below that at any point in time, you will no longer be eligible for an ATAR (I'd assume you'd be going for one). It is within the teachers best interests to make sure their students achieve their best, and your teacher has a legitimate concern that you may not be able to handle extension 2. Remember, teachers have taught courses numerous times, and their advice is worth taking on board.

Hope this helped, Shoesta [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ek102

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the reply Shoesta, but im currently wondering whether the teacher can seriously stop me from doing the course, oh and thanks for the advice about the 10 units

Shoesta

HSC
I seriously doubt that they could, only strongly advise you to reconsider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the reply Shoesta, but im currently wondering whether the teacher can seriously stop me from doing the course, oh and thanks for the advice about the 10 units
I'm pretty sure they can as long as they have a good reason, as you had said, they think that you're not capable

si2136

HSC
N/A
Keep Physics just in case. Just say you fail 4U. What happens then? Your ATAR will be ruined anyways.

ek102

HSC
N/A
Won't my atar be ruined if i fail any subject?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Sorry i don't understand that.
If you r doing 12 units, you best 10 counts, since 4U is counted as a 2U sub (and 3U as well) if you flunk out in it, and get a band 5 but in all your other subs you get a band 6, your 4U won't count, hence you will get a higher ATAR with all band 6 subs

If you did 10 units (with 4u) and u flunked out on 4U, then your atar is gonna be kinda stuffed bc you got a band 5 for one of your subs

4U scales high though so keep that in mind

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hi, currently im at 12 units for the preliminary course, and for my HSC subjects im wishing to drop 2 subjects (worth 3 units) and pick up Maths Ext 2. which then will bring me to a total of 10 units. However the head maths teacher in my school told me it was an invitational subject and that i wont be allowed to take or have the capabilities to take on the course. Are teachers allowed to do this? Ive performed fairly average in my past 3 maths extension courses this year, with fair improvement (in my opinion) and have been really wanting to do maths 4u and decided that since the end of the first term in year 11, not only this but im also not allowed to drop subjects to take on maths ext 2? (im completely useless at the 2 subjects im dropping).

Is this true? I've only ever thought about doing 10 units including 4u maths and nothing else.
Well usually the teacher's recommendations are what is best because they know who is capable of doing what.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Well usually the teacher's recommendations are what is best because they know who is capable of doing what.
TBH I'd disagree with this

If a student has bad study habits and they do bad in an exam, I'd say they still r capable of the course as long as they have the right study habits

IMO everyone is capable of MX1 as long as they know their basics inside out

If you're capable of MX1 then do MX2

Srs question but how can one not be 'capable' of a course other than that they don't have strong basics?

ek102

HSC
N/A
Hello, thanks for the responses, was wondering is there anything said on the Board Of Studies to do with this? Whether or not a teacher can force you to take part in a course. I cant find any, only previous posts about this topic

si2136

HSC
N/A
Hello, thanks for the responses, was wondering is there anything said on the Board Of Studies to do with this? Whether or not a teacher can force you to take part in a course. I cant find any, only previous posts about this topic
I'm pretty sure you're just doing 4U because of the reputation, right?

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Dude. Pick it if you want. But don't complain when you fail and are not eligible for an ATAR. I don't think they can stop you, but like everyone said, its in their best interests to do so.

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
TBH I'd disagree with this

If a student has bad study habits and they do bad in an exam, I'd say they still r capable of the course as long as they have the right study habits

IMO everyone is capable of MX1 as long as they know their basics inside out

If you're capable of MX1 then do MX2

Srs question but how can one not be 'capable' of a course other than that they don't have strong basics?
MX2 isn't even that similar to MX1 so it doesn't really say anything, and doing bad enough to be told not to do it probably wouldn't even be caused by "bad study habits" alone. But anyway if he/she wants to do it then they can but if they stuff up then they will regret not listening to the teacher because they would only have 10 units.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
MX2 isn't even that similar to MX1 so it doesn't really say anything, and doing bad enough to be told not to do it probably wouldn't even be caused by "bad study habits" alone. But anyway if he/she wants to do it then they can but if they stuff up then they will regret not listening to the teacher because they would only have 10 units.
You do realise, some students do manage to pull their arses up in the HSC right?

Well MX2 is really about "critical thinking" (that's what ppl say) wheras in MX1, it's straightforward

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)