Subject Choice Advise(to yr 12) (1 Viewer)

jiujiu1123

HSC
Hi guys,

Just got my prelim marks and ranks and now face some really tough choices about dropping and pick up subjects.

1. 4U math

I've done pretty good this year in math as my rank is for both 2 and 3 u is first and final average is around 98. If i haven't messed up the 3rd test, the average would have been 100 for 3U. So i am inclined to take on 4U math, but my only worry would be whether it would take too much time from my study.

2. Econ and Biz

I like econ but think Biz is a little boring. Currently first in both subjects but i am leading with a greater margin in Econ compared to Biz, but the marks i am getting is quite similar(final mark around 95). I am somewhat inclined to drop Biz but my career advisor suggests that I shouldn't if I want to study business in Uni, in which I plan to do in the US.

3. Chem and Phy
I pretty much like both subject equally and is getting similar marks and ranks as well(1st, 86). I don't mind science but I don't see myself working in a scientific field in the future.

I guess the decision would be whether to pick up 4u and to drop either Biz, Chem, or Phy. Or should i drop more than 1 subject and do 10 U only. I am doing relatively well this year so I think scaling would affect me to some extent.

PS: My current subject selection:

2U Math
1U Math ext 1
2U ESL
2U Physics
2U Chem
2U Econ
2U Biz

Thank you everyone for helping me in advance.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I guess the decision would be whether to pick up 4u and to drop either Biz, Chem, or Phy. Or should i drop more than 1 subject and do 10 U only. I am doing relatively well this year so I think scaling would affect me to some extent.

PS: My current subject selection:

2U Math
1U Math ext 1
2U ESL
2U Physics
2U Chem
2U Econ
2U Biz

Thank you everyone for helping me in advance.
^this

jiujiu1123

HSC
Hi eyeseeyou,

Thanks for this. But would this affect me if I want to study in biz in uni? also would a 97 in biz be better than 85ish in the sciences.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Hi eyeseeyou,

Thanks for this. But would this affect me if I want to study in biz in uni? also would a 97 in biz be better than 85ish in the sciences.
USUALLY, nothing above 90 scales down, whereas you never know how the sciences could go. Also, just because you did well in prelims doesn't mean it'll go as well in HSC (not putting you down or anything :)) I'd recommend that you maybe reconsider your business goals. You're going really well, but you don't like. Might that mean you won't like it when you start further study? Just something to think about...

jiujiu1123

HSC
I will think about it further, but it's not that I don't like business studies is just that I;ve got a monotone teacher for it so I can't focus as well as I can if I have a better teacher.

So i would prob just pick up 4u for sure. Would 14 Unit be unbearable in terms of the time put in for study?

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Nah I wouldn't think so, especially since it's ESL. Having said this, all your other subjects are content heavy.

jiujiu1123

HSC
Well, 14U is certainly worth considering now. Hopefully ESL can cut some load off my studying and its scaling wouldn't pull me down atar wise.

jiujiu1123

HSC
Also just a side question, how much would school ranking affect your ATAR. I ask this because my school ranks really poorly(121 on the 2014 matrix ranking) and am really scared that It may affect me negatively.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Also just a side question, how much would school ranking affect your ATAR. I ask this because my school ranks really poorly(121 on the 2014 matrix ranking) and am really scared that It may affect me negatively.
TBH that's not poorly ranked

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)