Should you begin to make notes for HSC before it begins or wait until it begins? (1 Viewer)

Furfie2000

HSC
I've got all my textbooks today and I start Yr 12 next week. Would it be beneficial to start reading and making notes from the textbooks, or wait until the content is taught in class?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
It could be beneficial for you because studies show that if you learn content twice, it helps you remember the content better.

Edit:

Use other people's notes to see what content is relevant and also to form your own as well as textbooks. Throughout the term, you can edit and revise your notes according to what you learn in school, so probably type them at first.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
It could be beneficial for you because studies show that if you learn content twice, it helps you remember the content better.
^

Also it saves you a lot of time throughout the year and you can focus on exam preparation

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It won't make too much of a difference, I sometimes think if people spend too early starting to make notes, in name of efficiency, they might not be taking the time to absorb the content and UNDERSTAND IT. I personally think you should refrain from making notes, rather just read through the textbook and see whether you understand the concepts and what they are talking about-UNDERSTANDING is so much more important than just mindlessly copy and pasting from textbooks (or paraphrasing in many cases-also inefficient way of learning). Just my two cents. I know it is tempting to get notes done as soon as possible-but i truly think this is the best time to slow down and just take the time to absorb some content in.

Also textbooks can go beyond syllabus dotpoints-so arguably simply summarising the textbook is being non-selective and you will be writing down irrelevant information, I personally would make brief notes if I do make any notes and wait for the class to direct my focus correctly on stuff-->which is another reason why I would rather prefer to get an overview now rather than just go straight into the deep end (because you might not know what is relevant to summarise right now even with dot points as guidance-->i.e. depth, breadth etc).

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Also you could watch youtube videos as well in order to understand the content

Also for maths, just self learn the stuff and start practicing the questions and whatever you need help with, you just post your questions here on this forum

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)