Do I choose Ancient or Economics??? (1 Viewer)

study01

HSC
Hey,

Next yr, im doing prelim and really need a subject to assisting writing just for y11. I did 3 eng. but i am also doing 3 ma, phys, chem, and so far eco (although i really want to change it- all memorising content isn't it). I am considering ancient. If you know any other writing heavy subjects let me know

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Ancient is more memorization than econ. Economics is more about drawing connections between things, like x change in imports leads to y change in currency. But yes econ does have a degree of memorization to it, as does every subject.

study01

HSC
yeah im doing both history elective and com. History is more intersting but i really want an atar as close to 99.95 (scaling)

STUDENT K

HSC
I did Ancient History for year 11 and enjoyed it. You do have to memorise a lot of content, but it is easy to comprehend (the concepts are not too difficult). Basically you analyse, investigate and evaluate the past and then plan and present your findings in different forms of writing such as historical investigations, essays, extended responses and shorter responses.

You have also got to be able to use your knowledge to relate to the source given to you in an exam even if you have never seen it before, so you've got to be a good thinker. I can't offer you much on economics, as our school doesn't offer it, but what I can say, is doing ancient history will give you a greater variety of subject types which is really useful.

In the end though, it is your decision. Choose what interests you, and what you are good at :)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Economics will extend past memorisation. I thought that Economics would be like Business Studies (all rote learn if you really want) and I was so very wrong LOL.

sudodds

HSC
I personally found Ancient 100x easier than economics.
Ancient is a lot of memorisation, but once you have it memorised, its really not that hard to grasp + always stays pretty much the same (whereas eco is constantly changing as the domestic and global economy changes).
In economics, its not just memorisation but also being able to adapt what you've memorised to different situations. I don't just mean 'short answer format' and 'essay format' but moreso economic situations that you may not have even considered before.
Economics goes beyond just cause --> effect, in most cases it'll be cause --> effect --> effect --> effect --> final effect on specific aspect of economy. That is what makes it so complicated, and difficult for people to get their heads around, especially in things like multiple choice where almost every option is correct, and the most correct one (the answer) is the one that requires to going further into the effects (if that makes sense).

TL;DR - if you're not naturally an economics genius - choose Ancient (remember this is just my opinion though hahaha)

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
You can get 99.95 with most subject choices.
Economics is mostly rote - but it also requires a more conceptual approach to the questions at times.
Legal and Modern are probably the two most writing intensive subjects in HSIE.

egal

HSC
I did both economics and ancient history for prelim and just finished ancient accelerated. It depends what writing you're looking for. Ancient is very interesting and all of the content is compartmentalised into 4 topics although there is a lot more room for superfluous information. Although ancient is a lot more memorisation of content, there's still a lot of memorisation of statistics in Economics. The content is far more logical and your writing needs to be a lot more concise and well crafted. Both will help you with your writing but ancient will probably help more with English, but for general writing skills, Eco would be more useful.

When you look at it, they are probably the same difficulty- Eco maybe slightly harder. My average for ancient was 95 and for Eco 94. However Eco does scale better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)