how content heavy is eco vs ancient vs business vs 3uenglish? (1 Viewer)

study01

HSC
Hi

Just wondering which 'spare' 12th unit would be suitable for prelim in terms of content ie which takes the most amount of time?

and... my subjects so far are

3maths
phys
chem
adv. english (most likely stick with 3u english????)

+ one of the other options.

Last edited:

piethepker

HSC
N/A
I did eco and 3u

Eco: I didn't find eco too content heavy due to its logical nature in that you could derive cause and effects if you actually understood the theory. However, if you struggle with this (as many did in my class), it would appear content heavy. The worse part was rote-learning stats.

3u: I found it a lot easier then advancecd. If you have two assignments (like we did, an essay and a creative), you can just write your creative and essay and keep editing them for the trial/hsc. If you are a strong writer, you probably won't struggle. Keep in mind however it is certainly a fair bit of work for 1 unit, particually if you want high marks so you need to do lots of independent research, often reading challenging academic articles/philosophy.

study01

HSC
yeah, thanks for the info- I think I will take 3u english to improve my skills but still not to sure about the other 2 unit subject!! I mean, wouldn't it be better to take a subject that may develop your skills in other subjects ie ancient for english rather than engineering for example to match up with other subjects (ps dont want to be engineer)

Esse

xD
HSC
N/A
I did business and eco. Honestly for business studies, all you really need to do is remember the syllabus off by heart, and some business terminology and definitions, and it is a walk in the park. They really fluff the content in the textbook to make it seem like a lot, but it really isn't. Eco on the other hand, imo there was a lot of stuff you needed to know, such as a case study and current economic facts, so for me the content was heavy, but manageable.

study01

HSC
yeah, thank i think i will take buisness as a buldge subject

riphsc

HSC
In year 11 I took Economics, 3u Maths, 3u English, Ancient History and another 2u subject. I'm not too sure about Business but I heard from a lot of my friends who did it that you just need to memorise a lot of content and you will be fine. Economics differs in that there's a lot of information to know but you should be also able to understand the topics and concepts in order to do well! There are also statistics you might have to remember for essays and assessment tasks. Ancient History to me was easier than Modern History but I wouldn't suggest choosing it unless you enjoyed learning about history. Extension English 1 may take up more time than Advanced English as it's quite a large workload for a one unit subject, but it is a rewarding subject and I enjoyed it a lot!

I think it's important to pick what you'll enjoy doing in Year 11 :) that way the workload doesn't seem as heavy since it'll be a subject you enjoy anyways!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)