What to do in the SUMMER holidays between year 10/11? (1 Viewer)

sss77s

HSC
Hey guys, so I'm entering year 11 next year- and since we have this 7 week holiday (during which I am pretty much not going anywhere), I feel like I should in some way be preparing for the year ahead.
Any tips on how I should prepare?
My subjects are:
- English Advanced
-English Ext. 1
-Maths Advanced
-Maths Ext.1
-physics
-chemistry
-economics

I know it may seem a little crazy studying during the Christmas holidays, but I really want to get ahead. :)

gc653

HSC
Didn't do sciences but for some preparation:
English - pre read texts (e.g. novels, films, articles, poems etc.) - look up plots for Hamlet texts and characters etc.
Maths - overlook syllabus/youtube videos like khan academy/attempt questions that aren't too foreign to what you already know
economics - look at intro to economics, learn basics such as supply and demand and production possibility frontier (PPF) curves

sss77s

HSC
thank you :))
is hamlet the standard shakespeare for all students?

Simorgh

HSC
Focus on fixing the basics in all your subjects especially Maths. There is no need to go full on and study a gazillion times ahead, it will wear yourself down.

For English, be familiar with things like your literary techniques, creative writing skills such as show not tell and essay skills, which I lacked a lot off before Yr 11. But you seem better off assuming you got put into English Ext from your marks in Yr 10.

Chemistry go over the most basic skills such as Balanicing equations, Moles, etc. Lot of the content is not that terribly difficult but stick with improving your skills and calculations for now.

Physics there isn't a whole lot, maybe get familar with some of the numericals and formulas in questions especially from topics like Moving About and Electrical Energy as they are really fundamental for HSC Physics. If you can get your head around them it will make life much more easier.

Economics not at a whole lot. Most of it common sense and lot of it comes naturally. Dont have much to say.

Maths is something you should be doing at least once every day at least, its about revising and doing a lot of questions. 2U/3U Maths go over anything you lacked from Yr 10 and makes sure your clear over all the content and you are rusty anywhere. Suggest you buy a Yr 11 book to do questions from.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Focus on fixing the basics in all your subjects especially Maths. There is no need to go full on and study a gazillion times ahead, it will wear yourself down.

For English, be familiar with things like your literary techniques, creative writing skills such as show not tell and essay skills, which I lacked a lot off before Yr 11. But you seem better off assuming you got put into English Ext from your marks in Yr 10.

Chemistry go over the most basic skills such as Balanicing equations, Moles, etc. Lot of the content is not that terribly difficult but stick with improving your skills and calculations for now.

Physics there isn't a whole lot, maybe get familar with some of the numericals and formulas in questions especially from topics like Moving About and Electrical Energy as they are really fundamental for HSC Physics. If you can get your head around them it will make life much more easier.

Economics not at a whole lot. Most of it common sense and lot of it comes naturally. Dont have much to say.

Maths is something you should be doing at least once every day at least, its about revising and doing a lot of questions. 2U/3U Maths go over anything you lacked from Yr 10 and makes sure your clear over all the content and you are rusty anywhere. Suggest you buy a Yr 11 book to do questions from.
There's no such thing as burning out if you have strong motivation. One guy in the grade above me wasn't even expected to get above 95 atar and he didn't expect it himself but he worked every single day from year 8 and people kept telling him he'd burn out but he never did and ended up with 97.8 atar and was also given the award for most effort in academics in the grade. If you know your goals then you'll be motivated enough to keep working.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
What to do in the summer holidays before Year 11 starts
In the summer holidays, you should focus on making sure you have a prepared psychological mindset for senior year studies and you need to make sure you have consistent performance in all your subjects-consistency is very important-both in your academic performance(I am talking about at optimal levels) as well as consistency in your study routine, learning methods and sleeping patterns

Don't study 24/7 because you will wreck your body and by then your ATAR will become meaningless if you destroy your health-take care of yourself, do relax a bit in the holidays-you need enough relaxation to get you to keep working very hard for the next two years-and I think if you prepare your psychological mindset over the holidays, it will help you even more than pure attaining academic knowledge for year 11. This positive psychological preparation includes to be prepared for possible bad results-but retain a never-giving up attitude under this circumstance, when you get good results, don't be arrogant and just be optimistic no matter how adverse circumstances may be.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
There's no such thing as burning out if you have strong motivation. One guy in the grade above me wasn't even expected to get above 95 atar and he didn't expect it himself but he worked every single day from year 8 and people kept telling him he'd burn out but he never did and ended up with 97.8 atar and was also given the award for most effort in academics in the grade. If you know your goals then you'll be motivated enough to keep working.
I know who that guy is, he went to me school, he was really determined to do well. I myself did a lot of work as well (I went to a holiday course for 2 weeks straight 3 times for physics and chemistry (6 hours of tutoring a day, 2 hours of travelling, 7-8 hours of doing tutoring homework and making notes, 1 hour of eating and the rest was sleeping), and didn't burn out. The HSC rewards those people who are willing to go above and beyond in studying. Saying that you still need to be effective at studying. At the end of the day there is no actual 'burning out' that just seems like an excuse people use to try validate their urges to procrastinate. Obviously you need a little bit of balance in year 11 (so you don't affect your health i.e. Don't eat excessive junk food or stop exercising), as it would be difficult to make a transistion to studying a lot but establishing good study habits in year 11 is important, as it will mentally prepare you for the commitment which is the HSC. But if someone is truly determined to succeed they can overcome these mental barriers, but for many who say they want whatever atar, this never comes to fruition as they are not fully committed to the HSC and putting in the work to reach their goals.

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
To answer the original post, you seem you are really motivated to get ahead and do well in your HSC. I think the best thing you can do to prepare for year 11 which you won't need to do for more than 3 hours each day to finish, is to find a good textbook for each of your subjects and make some notes on a word document with syllabus dot points as the headings under which you write information (you can find these on the bostes website). For English advanced you may have to do a creative throughout the year which many teachers don't spend much time on so it might be helpful just writing down some potential ideas that you could write about and also writing just some small pieces of description you could use in your creative. For maths the best thing you can do is find a textbook such as Cambridge or maths in focus, and just work your way through the exercises doing 2 per day and if you have time maybe do some practice questions from past papers on websites such as THSC, which will give you a solid foundation before going into school.

Last edited:

Simorgh

HSC
Just telling from experience and what I have heard from others as well. I had rather put all that energy and motivation just like I am right now into Yr 12. For a person transistioning from Yr 10 to Yr 11, I suggest them to take it a little more easy and make themselves mentally ready for the last 2 years of their schooling. Not everyone has the capacity to study ahead like '24/7' and then continue that for another year. Consider the mental and physical health of the person.

I for one know a family friend of mine from 2015 who studied full on like this. She went to Hornsby Girls a really good selective school and was hoping to get into Medicine. She kept studying day in day out from Year 11, to the point where she locked herself in her room all day and avoided ever going outside. She left an impression she was studying so hard

She pushed herself to the point of exhaustion, where ended up losing heaps of weight by not eating for long periods and not sleeping on time, ended up going to the hospital. From her original aim of 99 she got a mere 94.50 with only 2 band 6ers.

However this is someone for two years who went on the total extremes and ended up achieving nothing, even she left the impression she was studying so hard. Not everyone has the capacity to be like yourself or your friend in tha above year.

Last edited:

sss77s

HSC
I know who that guy is, he went to me school, he was really determined to do well. I myself did a lot of work as well (I went to a holiday course for 2 weeks straight 3 times for physics and chemistry (6 hours of tutoring a day, 2 hours of travelling, 7-8 hours of doing tutoring homework and making notes, 1 hour of eating and the rest was sleeping), and didn't burn out. The HSC rewards those people who are willing to go above and beyond in studying. Saying that you still need to be effective at studying. At the end of the day there is no actual 'burning out' that just seems like an excuse people use to try validate their urges to procrastinate. Obviously you need a little bit of balance in year 11 (so you don't affect your health i.e. Don't eat excessive junk food or stop exercising), as it would be difficult to make a transistion to studying a lot but establishing good study habits in year 11 is important, as it will mentally prepare you for the commitment which is the HSC. But if someone is truly determined to succeed they can overcome these mental barriers, but for many who say they want whatever atar, this never comes to fruition as they are not fully committed to the HSC and putting in the work to reach their goals.
]Wow, I wish I was as motivated, and I agree with your thoughts on burnout. Did you put in the same consistent effort all throughout high school or just the HSC year? Thanks

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
]Wow, I wish I was as motivated, and I agree with your thoughts on burnout. Did you put in the same consistent effort all throughout high school or just the HSC year? Thanks
Honestly before year 11 I didn't put near enough effort, I just kept playing games for most of the year (which is fine in those years since the exams are generally pretty simple and easy), but like when exams came around I always put my head down and got to work.

For year 11, I put in a lot of work, but I don't think it would compare to how much I did in year 12 because due to way more assessments you are sort of forced to do more and the pressure people put on themselves in that year in its importance makes them do a lot, because my school was pretty crazy as we had a 6 assessments for most subjects (3 of which were trials) and like 7 or 8 assessments for English.

sourmilk

HSC
Hey! I honestly recommend to relax or go have a run or somethin since you wouldn't really have as much freedom as you do now in a year. BUT since you wanna start ahead, i'll give you some tips:

Advanced English:
1. Start writing your creative, you have an entire year to prepare for this so it's better to start as early as possible and try to weave each rubric into the story. If you need inspiration, I suggest you read some acclaimed short stories ( Ray Bradbury have amazing ones) to have a good idea. I doubt the markers want some generic YA fluff. ALSO DON'T FORGET LITERARY TECHNIQUES!! SYMBOLISM, METAPHORS!! SATURATE IT HEAVILY IN YOUR STORIES.

2. Depending on your medium for you first text (I'm going to assume novel) dedicate a page or two and write the rubric and leaving a space between each rubric. As you read your text, jot down certain events in the novel into certain rubric points. This will definitely help you for creating several paragraphs for the rest of the year.

3. Find a good related text

Extension English:

1. WRITE YOUR DARN CREATIVE FIRST AGAIN, START A GOOD PLAN ON WHAT TO WRITE. BASICALLY FOLLOW ^^ WHAT I SAID UP THERE.

2. If you know your texts, I suggest you research some potential related texts.

The sciences:

1. Go through a syllabus dot point summary and familiarise yourself with jargon and certain concepts.

Cant really help you with maths tho heh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)