2U, 3U, and Chemistry Textbooks? (1 Viewer)

MouseTop

HSC
Hi,

Just trying to find out which textbooks to buy/borrow/use. From what I've read the following seems the current and appropriate:

2U - Cambridge
3U - Cambridge
Chemistry - Conquering Chemistry

I've heard a few good things about Dot Point, is that worth looking into? Or, am I better off with what I've listed above?

Thanks,
MouseTop

gc653

HSC
not sure about chem but cambridge is a great textbook for 2 and 3 unit don't bother with others

blackbird_14

HSC
Yeah Cambridge is great for harder questions, and conquering chem is a good textbook for chem as well (it's what my school used too), but sometimes it does go into too much info and the questions can be a bit harder and not relevant to the syllabus.

I personally didn't use dotpoint because of the cost of the books, but if I did have a copy it would be useful for dotpoint revision, to make sure you know the content of the dotpoint and to ensure you've covered it yourself so you're not caught out when you do past papers.

And speaking of past papers, I found them the best way to reinforce knowledge, as they get you used to the types of questions asked in HSC exams (which is ultimately what you're doing haha) so if you don't already have a copy of those get your hands on them asap!

Good luck for everything

helloimyellow

HSC
Jacaranda was pretty good for chemistry as well. As blackbird said, I thought dotpoint was pretty useless (we had it for homework in year 11/12 in class) - your time would be better spent on past papers.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Conquering Chemistry and Jacaranda are probably the best textbooks that you can use, and yeah I would agree that the dot-point book is alright if you just wanna do some practice questions and give it to your teacher to mark, but the solutions they provide are pretty bad and not in depth, so you would be better off just using those other textbooks and doing the past papers and asking tutors or teachers to mark them.

MouseTop

HSC
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be using Cambridge, Conquering Chemistry, and a ton of past papers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)