Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sourmilk
  • 1 Post By Jakulore

Thread: The comparison between Adv. English & Ext 1. English??

  1. #1
    New Member Raiza_98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    1

    The comparison between Adv. English & Ext 1. English??

    After consulting with my english faculty last year, the main piece of advice that they provided me was that Ext 1. English required a shit-ton of writing compared to Adv. English. Idk about the prescribed texts and all that but apparently the difficulty gap between the two is fairly large according to them. Was just wondering if this was indeed true for those based off of past experience.

    Thank you in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    i just want eugenie bouchard to look in my direction again<3<3<3

  2. #2
    Junior Member sourmilk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    156
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: The comparison between Adv. English & Ext 1. English??

    Uh, I don't know but the quantity of writing is certainly WAY more in Adv. than it is in Extension.

    If Adv. you're required to write five different papers for your exams, ranging from 800-1200. In Extension, you write two papers. ranging from 1000-1500.

    So if you compare, Adv has way more writing to do.

    Difficulty wise, I say that Extension is more specific with its questions - and what the markers are looking for. Not only that, you have to remember critic's opinions on texts alongside with quotes / techniques etc.

    IDK why your teacher said that, since Ext. only has a creative and essay element. Plus, don't forget the unseen in Adv!
    Raiza_98 likes this.

  3. #3
    New Member Raiza_98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: The comparison between Adv. English & Ext 1. English??

    Quote Originally Posted by sourmilk View Post
    Uh, I don't know but the quantity of writing is certainly WAY more in Adv. than it is in Extension.

    If Adv. you're required to write five different papers for your exams, ranging from 800-1200. In Extension, you write two papers. ranging from 1000-1500.

    So if you compare, Adv has way more writing to do.

    Difficulty wise, I say that Extension is more specific with its questions - and what the markers are looking for. Not only that, you have to remember critic's opinions on texts alongside with quotes / techniques etc.

    IDK why your teacher said that, since Ext. only has a creative and essay element. Plus, don't forget the unseen in Adv!
    Cheers for that dude!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    i just want eugenie bouchard to look in my direction again<3<3<3

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    229
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: The comparison between Adv. English & Ext 1. English??

    I suppose you would write a similar amount in the 2 hour span of either exam. I wouldn't say the difficulty gap is large, in fact, I found Extension English easier simply because we spent the entire year learning one 'Module' (Science Fiction) and refining our knowledge and skills in that, rather than AOS + 3 Modules.
    Raiza_98 likes this.
    HSC 2016

    English Advanced: 89 English Extension: 44 Ancient History: 91 Biology: 89 Food Technology: 90 Legal Studies: 90

    2016 ATAR: 94.45 2017-2022: Bachelor of Combined Law at UNSW

  5. #5
    New Member Raiza_98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: The comparison between Adv. English & Ext 1. English??

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakulore View Post
    I suppose you would write a similar amount in the 2 hour span of either exam. I wouldn't say the difficulty gap is large, in fact, I found Extension English easier simply because we spent the entire year learning one 'Module' (Science Fiction) and refining our knowledge and skills in that, rather than AOS + 3 Modules.
    Wait wtf? So for English EXT1 all u basically needed to do was revise over one genre/text -type for the entire years' worth of course content? You've got to be fucking kidding me here
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    i just want eugenie bouchard to look in my direction again<3<3<3

  6. #6
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    SYD
    Posts
    1,310
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: The comparison between Adv. English & Ext 1. English??

    You focus on a module for the entire year, rather than separate modules in Advanced (AOS,Mod A, Mod B, Mod C). Could range from Science-Fiction to Post-Modernism. It is way more work than Advanced so you'll need to put in the time and effort. Is it worth it? I say if you're planning to do 4U english, yes, if not, it can be a filler for yr 11 but it's kind of not worth it doing it in yr 12 unless you do 3U maths 3U english 2U sub 2U sub to save time if u plan to do 10.

    HSC 2017: MX2 -- EX1 -- ECO -- BUS --
    Goal: Finance/Law/Maths/

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •