Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sourmilk
  • 1 Post By Jakulore

Thread: The comparison between Adv. English & Ext 1. English??

HSC

The comparison between Adv. English & Ext 1. English??

After consulting with my english faculty last year, the main piece of advice that they provided me was that Ext 1. English required a shit-ton of writing compared to Adv. English. Idk about the prescribed texts and all that but apparently the difficulty gap between the two is fairly large according to them. Was just wondering if this was indeed true for those based off of past experience.

Thank you in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    i just want eugenie bouchard to look in my direction again<3<3<3

HSC

Re: The comparison between Adv. English & Ext 1. English??

Uh, I don't know but the quantity of writing is certainly WAY more in Adv. than it is in Extension.

If Adv. you're required to write five different papers for your exams, ranging from 800-1200. In Extension, you write two papers. ranging from 1000-1500.

So if you compare, Adv has way more writing to do.

Difficulty wise, I say that Extension is more specific with its questions - and what the markers are looking for. Not only that, you have to remember critic's opinions on texts alongside with quotes / techniques etc.

IDK why your teacher said that, since Ext. only has a creative and essay element. Plus, don't forget the unseen in Adv!
    Raiza_98 likes this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by sourmilk View Post
    Uh, I don't know but the quantity of writing is certainly WAY more in Adv. than it is in Extension.

If Adv. you're required to write five different papers for your exams, ranging from 800-1200. In Extension, you write two papers. ranging from 1000-1500.

So if you compare, Adv has way more writing to do.

Difficulty wise, I say that Extension is more specific with its questions - and what the markers are looking for. Not only that, you have to remember critic's opinions on texts alongside with quotes / techniques etc.

IDK why your teacher said that, since Ext. only has a creative and essay element. Plus, don't forget the unseen in Adv!
    Cheers for that dude!

HSC

I suppose you would write a similar amount in the 2 hour span of either exam. I wouldn't say the difficulty gap is large, in fact, I found Extension English easier simply because we spent the entire year learning one 'Module' (Science Fiction) and refining our knowledge and skills in that, rather than AOS + 3 Modules.
    Raiza_98 likes this.
    HSC 2016

English Advanced: 89 English Extension: 44 Ancient History: 91 Biology: 89 Food Technology: 90 Legal Studies: 90

2016 ATAR: 94.45

2017+:
    Bachelor of Combined Law at UNSW

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Jakulore View Post
    I suppose you would write a similar amount in the 2 hour span of either exam. I wouldn't say the difficulty gap is large, in fact, I found Extension English easier simply because we spent the entire year learning one 'Module' (Science Fiction) and refining our knowledge and skills in that, rather than AOS + 3 Modules.
    Wait wtf? So for English EXT1 all u basically needed to do was revise over one genre/text -type for the entire years' worth of course content? You've got to be fucking kidding me here

Executive Member
    HSC

You focus on a module for the entire year, rather than separate modules in Advanced (AOS,Mod A, Mod B, Mod C). Could range from Science-Fiction to Post-Modernism. It is way more work than Advanced so you'll need to put in the time and effort. Is it worth it? I say if you're planning to do 4U english, yes, if not, it can be a filler for yr 11 but it's kind of not worth it doing it in yr 12 unless you do 3U maths 3U english 2U sub 2U sub to save time if u plan to do 10.
    MX2 - ADV - ECO - BUS

Cadet
    HSC

Ext 1 English is a great choice, I initially was only going to do 3u maths and then got convinced to do 3u English (planned to only do the extensions for prelim to help me with th 2u course) and then planned to have 14 units prelim- business, French, Eco, accelerated ancient, 3u English, 3u maths then do 8/10 units in year 12- Eco business 2u maths adv. English (maybe French), but ended up hating business so went to 12, and I'm doing 10 now because I finished ancient (subs are below) and it's such an advantage having only 4 subject areas, so if you're decent at English, definitely give it a go. Apparently 11 is the magic number to do in HSC year.

Ext 1 English is a very low stress subject for HSC year. It's the same module all the way through and you need to write on 2 prescribed texts and 2 related (you'll cover 3 at school though) so these holidays I've written up a big quote table with 2 prescribed and one related, so it's very minimal work I need for the essay between now and trials. As its a creative and a critical, it's not hard to write up creatives in the holidays then edit them for the rest of the year.

The thing I found the most difficult about ext 1 was writing on 4 texts and making it seamless and well integrated. With ext 1, you need to make sure you choose your quotes not only to match the question but also each other. That was probably the most difficult for me, but you work on it and it helps a lot with integration of texts in advanced. I'd definitely recommend doing it for at least prelim- will help with advanced and then HSC if you enjoy the course.
    HSC 2017: 3u English, 3u Maths, Economics, French continuers
    HSC 2016: Ancient History

Thread Information