Study loads? (1 Viewer)

drowinginstudytears

HSC
Hey all!

I'm starting my prelim (year 11) year in a few weeks (ahh!) and I still have some last minute decisions/changes to make to my subjects. I'm going to be taking Advanced English, Mathematics, Bio, Software Development and Design, Business Studies and Extension English - those are all my definite subjects. For my last 2 units I have the choice between PDHPE, Society and Culture or Legal Studies.

Legal interests me more, and is what I'm leaning towards ultimately, the only thing really stopping me is that I've heard its a huge course and I've been told I'm already doing several other subjects with big workloads (I'm assuming Business and software?). I guess my question is do you think that my course load will be too big or will it be manageable? Also, what do you think my best bet would be load wise out of the last three :)

TIA!

HSC
Whether by design or accident, I think you've chosen a solid mixture of courses with a nice blend of difficulty, variety and workload. That's a grudging admission coming from someone who, in retrospect, realises he picked an incredibly narrow pool of HSIE subjects. So kudos to you!

Anyway, from my experience, Legal is a bit heavy content-wise. But if you're organsied and learn how the course works early in the piece, you'll ace it. Besides, Legal and Business compliment each other very well, depending on your HSC electives (which would be good to know before making your choice). This little fact may not seem like much but it can really help you more easily understand the concepts and therefore, better manage your workload.

Now, I didn't do PDHPE or S&C but have heard that the latter is extremely difficult to master. With S&C you also have to keep in mind the loads of work that goes into the Personal Interest Project (PIP) which is essentially, a very large major work.

All in all, I'd recommend going with Legal for the reasons I mentioned.

Happy hunting!

drowinginstudytears

HSC
Whether by design or accident, I think you've chosen a solid mixture of courses with a nice blend of difficulty, variety and workload. That's a grudging admission coming from someone who, in retrospect, realises he picked an incredibly narrow pool of HSIE subjects. So kudos to you!

Anyway, from my experience, Legal is a bit heavy content-wise. But if you're organsied and learn how the course works early in the piece, you'll ace it. Besides, Legal and Business compliment each other very well, depending on your HSC electives (which would be good to know before making your choice). This little fact may not seem like much but it can really help you more easily understand the concepts and therefore, better manage your workload.

Now, I didn't do PDHPE or S&C but have heard that the latter is extremely difficult to master. With S&C you also have to keep in mind the loads of work that goes into the Personal Interest Project (PIP) which is essentially, a very large major work.

All in all, I'd recommend going with Legal for the reasons I mentioned.

Happy hunting!
Incidentally, totally by accident!

I've been looking briefly at electives for both subjects, but I'll take a closer look now! Thank you so much your reply definetly prompted me to think about things I hadn't! :)

SuperAltastic

HSC
It depends on what you want to continue with in Year 12, that comes down to how many units you want to do and if you like the subjects your doing. In terms of work load all Year 12 subjects are content heavy, as others have said its all about organisation, planning and having the right mindset which helps in the HSC.

HSC
It depends on what you want to continue with in Year 12, that comes down to how many units you want to do and if you like the subjects your doing. In terms of work load all Year 12 subjects are content heavy, as others have said its all about organisation, planning and having the right mindset which helps in the HSC.
I agree. Mindset is critical.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)