Is it beneficial to study from two textbooks? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey!

So for example, studying with the textbook your school provides you with to complete assignments, but taking notes for midterm and yearly tests from both the school textbook and another you found at the library? Just wondering if this hinders the information you've already learnt, or simply reiterates it?

Also, I'm going into Year 11. I recognise, at least for Legal, that the structure is divided into three Cores. I'm guessing that's for three terms, and is the marking like previous years where it is an assignment in Term 1, a midterm test in Term 2 etc. Or is the assessments completely different / dependent on school?

I know I'll find out when school starts, but I just want to know now so nothing jumps out at me as a surprise. :D

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hey!

So for example, studying with the textbook your school provides you with to complete assignments, but taking notes for midterm and yearly tests from both the school textbook and another you found at the library? Just wondering if this hinders the information you've already learnt, or simply reiterates it?

Also, I'm going into Year 11. I recognise, at least for Legal, that the structure is divided into three Cores. I'm guessing that's for three terms, and is the marking like previous years where it is an assignment in Term 1, a midterm test in Term 2 etc. Or is the assessments completely different / dependent on school?

I know I'll find out when school starts, but I just want to know now so nothing jumps out at me as a surprise. :D
2 textbooks can help because one textbook might miss some content and you can also reinforce your knowledge.

Usually assessments are generally the same as the board of studies has requirements but they can be at different times of the year or some may have more assessments, e.g. my school has 3 trials in year 12 while most schools have 1. Also yes it will most likely be 1 core per term, but ask your school just in case.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
For any subject, it does not hurt to have other textbooks. Sometimes another text explains a difficult concept better or more fully. If I were a student, I would study quite a bit beyond the syllabus, so that I am better equipped to handle some of the "harder" questions, that tend to verge on the periphery of the course.

drowinginstudytears

HSC
Studying from two textbooks is definitely beneficial, as well as other sources like past students, study buddies to help explain concepts you might not get, notes and online (reliable) sources! That's what I figured out in year 10, fellow Year 11'er here :)

HSC
Studying from two textbooks is definitely beneficial, as well as other sources like past students, study buddies to help explain concepts you might not get, notes and online (reliable) sources! That's what I figured out in year 10, fellow Year 11'er here :)
Yay! So am I. :D Well, in a couple of weeks.

Thanks everyone for responses. It's very convenient too, considering my school uses two textbooks for some subjects throughout the year.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
For HSC yes studying from two textbooks is definitely recommended as not all textbooks have enough information about certain dot points (or may miss out information entirely).

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
The more , the merrier I say. Definitely an advantage learning from more than 2 resources.

Some concepts are explained better in other resources compared to others.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
The more , the merrier I say. Definitely an advantage learning from more than 2 resources.

Some concepts are explained better in other resources compared to others.
This.

One book might be worded better and might be easier for you to grasp the concepts compared to a different book. Once you grasp the concepts, look at the other book and realise that now you can understand the concepts and enjoy the feeling that you finally understand something you had trouble with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)