Economics VS Modern History (plus maybe art) (1 Viewer)

jul_23

HSC
Please help,
i spent weeks on this decision when I first choose my subjects and now that school has started, I'm doubting my choice again.
I chose economics because I thought i would be better at it than I would be at history, but now that it has started it is super boring and taught so slowly its like last year's commerce all over again. I think I would find history far more interesting and I did enjoy it a lot last year.

Econ sounds great in concept but it's just so boring in class. And history is far more engaging, but ive never been great at it.
The other issue is that I am currently taking art but not really planning to do it for yr 12 as it doesnt scale well and I'm not that good at it. If I do economics I was sure that I would do econ for yr 12 and drop art, but if i do history, perhaps i will be a bit more worried about history so i might consider keeping art instead.
My other subjects are : Bio, Physics, Adv eng, ext eng, math 3u

So should I change to History?

Thanks so much, any comment appreciated :)

Eudemonic

HSC
Can't you drop Art and pickup Modern? Or am I missing something..

The Mod prelim course isn't super demanding if you're worried about it's content

jul_23

HSC
oh yeah sorry i didnt mention but i like art so thats why i'm doing it, mostly for fun

HSC
OP, sorry to hear you're worrying. Sounds like you're in a pickle but don't fret, this is an age-old mistake. Believe me, it's never a good idea to choose a subject purely as a result of natural proficiency or good scaling. Now don't get me wrong, these things are important but are absolutely subordinate to the most crucial factor. PASSION.

Based on your other courses though, I'm ambivalent as to whether Modern History would be ideal for you. I'm not saying that people with more Science-y courses won't do well in HSIE subjects. However, it's just that usually people who do those kind of Maths-oriented subjects have a different skillset that is ill-suited to a subject, say history, for instance. From my experience as a history guru (I did all 3 history courses for the HSC, I know what was I thinking? xD), I personally found the courses enjoyable, fulfilling and interesting. Of course, this depends on the electives the school has chosen for you in addition to your enthusiasm for the subject.

That being said, I would probably give it a little bit more time before deciding which course to pick up/drop, it's still early days as far as I'm concerned. As long as you feel confident with your decision, that's all that matters.

Let us know how it all goes! Good luck :)

Last edited:

jul_23

HSC
thanks so much for your reply :D i think i'm leaning towards changing to history at the moment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)