Hello. I'm currently in Year 11 and have chosen the following subjects:

Maths Advanced
    Physics
    English Advanced
    English Extension 1
    Music 2
    French Beginners
    Studies of Religion 1 (Compulsory)

I really want to achieve an ATAR of 90<, and am thinking about making the following changes to the subjects in Term 4 (assuming I am invited to the extension courses)

English Advanced
    English Extension 1
    English Extension 2
    Music 2
    Music Extension 1
    French Beginners
    Studies of Religion 1

I am worried about the scaling of this selection, as I have put it (and the marks I assume I'll get) into ATAR calculators. Do you guys think this is a good and safe pick given the ATAR I want?

Thanks
    Last edited by Byrnetech; 25 Feb 2017 at 9:12 AM.

Executive Member
    HSC

Re: Year 12 Subject Selection

It's fine.

Any subjects that you do can get you any ATAR. Just do what you love and excel in it.

HSC

I'm really unsure about maths, and feel like I've been pressured into doing it because of the new STEM program at USyd
    Last edited by Byrnetech; 25 Feb 2017 at 3:39 PM.

Executive Member
    HSC

I agree, for people who don't like maths, USYD wouldn't be an option for them.

It's your choice if you want to or not, if it's worth the effort of giving up another subject for Maths just to have more opportunities.

I can't make the choice for you, but do Maths and get more options with courses, or don't do maths and get less options but you'll be more satisfied and not get the burden of doing maths.

HSC
    N/A

Look if you want to do a arts degree of some sort (or a degree which doesnt require maths as assumed knowledge), then maths isn't going to be beneficial there. Maths is only beneficial for science courses (i.e. chemistry where they assume only 2U maths minimum), engineering (where 3U is assumed), Actuarial studies (where 3U is assumed but 4U is recommended) and other courses such as economics

But yes people do regret not picking a maths level of some sort when doing their degree. Some people would probably pick chemistry in uni and think it is somewhat similar to HSC chemistry however they fall in the trap of not thinking it was a very mathematical based chemistry course and since they only did general maths (it's only an example) in school and managed to get through HSC chemistry, they dont realise the "change" they are going in, they struggle to some extent

Even some extension 2 maths students struggle with first year engineering, physics, actuarial studies, etc

Just keep that in mind. When you pick subjects, you shouldn't just consider what you like/don't like but what you want to do in the future and whether or not you'd be willing to do that subject for the next 2 years of your senior schooling

HSC

I'm interested in studying linguistics and/or psychology at university, so I don't know if mathematics is needed

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Byrnetech View Post
    I'm interested in studying linguistics and/or psychology at university, so I don't know if mathematics is needed
    I believe psychology looks at statistics of some sort hence it is beneficial to do at least 2u maths (someone please correct me on this)

Executive Member
    HSC

Why don't you want to do maths?

HSC

In Year 10 I really didn't enjoy it, though I am finding it pretty easy at the moment (then again, it's week 3). I'm worried that I'll have to invest too much time and worrying into it, which will distract me from my other subjects.
    Last edited by Byrnetech; 25 Feb 2017 at 8:59 PM.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Byrnetech View Post
    In Year 10 I really didn't enjoy it, though I am finding it pretty easy at the moment (then again, it's week 3). I'm worried that I'll have to invest too much time and worrying into it, which will distract me from my other subjects.
    Study tips, a guide to studying and FAQ about studying

Thread Information