Is physics related to extension 2 maths? (1 Viewer)

toukakirish1ma

HSC
I was wondering if someone wants to do Extension 2 maths, is physics a recommended subject to take with it?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
The current HSC Physics course is relatively unrelated to Maths Extension 2.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
At a High School level, no way related whatsoever. You can get by with general maths (or no maths) for High school physics

at a tertiary level, extension 2 mathematics is very very relevant to physics in terms of solving problems

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
At a High School level, no way related whatsoever. You can get by with general maths (or no maths) for High school physics

at a tertiary level, extension 2 mathematics is very very relevant to physics in terms of solving problems
This is true but what about:
Faraday's law, Emf = -delta fi / delta t. This multiple choice question had I think magnetic flux vs time as a graph and it said pick the appropriate graph for emf vs time, and the best way to do it would be by differentiating as the original curve was a sin or cos curve. General maths people can't do this so how would they do it?

Also I think people in general maths would be more prone to making mistakes like projectile motion when you have to sub in stuff and use algebra...

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Faraday's law, Emf = -delta fi / delta t. This multiple choice question had I think magnetic flux vs time as a graph and it said pick the appropriate graph for emf vs time, and the best way to do it would be by differentiating as the original curve was a sin or cos curve. General maths people can't do this so how would they do it?

Also I think people in general maths would be more prone to making mistakes like projectile motion when you have to sub in stuff and use algebra...
They would do it by rote learning the answer beforehand maybe (or using intuition). Also not that many marks in the HSC Physics paper are devoted to calculations/derivations etc. (Majority of marks should be, but it's actually a minority.)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
They would do it by rote learning the answer beforehand maybe (or using intuition). Also not that many marks in the HSC Physics paper are devoted to calculations/derivations etc. (Majority of marks should be, but it's actually a minority.)
Yeah physics would be better if it used calculus and was restricted to 2u and above, since most general maths people struggle badly with it anyway and drop the subject (out of like 20 people in my physics class only like 1 does general maths and he's struggling a lot).

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

u lose 1 mark which isn't a big deal

in fact someone in general maths who rote learned a space pioneer, and how a mri machine works can fo significantly better than someone who does ext2 maths and cannot.

and to be honest, basic algebra at a year 8/9 level is needed to solve those problems

jathu123

HSC
lol I heard from my physics teacher that there was this question in HSC astrophysics to find the distance to a star using the distance-modulus formula. Since alot of people don't know logs and couldn't find the exact distance, the marking criteria was lowered so that it is possible to get full marks just by subbing the values into the formula (no need to find the distance). Dunno if this is true though.

Eudemonic

HSC
lol I heard from my physics teacher that there was this question in HSC astrophysics to find the distance to a star using the distance-modulus formula. Since alot of people don't know logs and couldn't find the exact distance, the marking criteria was lowered so that it is possible to get full marks just by subbing the values into the formula (no need to find the distance). Dunno if this is true though.
Holy moly thats ridiculous

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)