Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pikachu975

Thread: Math Ext 1 Tutor

HSC

Math Ext 1 Tutor

I'm currently doing Math Ext 1 and struggling a bit. If I got a tutor, would it help me a lot and raise my grades?

HSC

Re: Math Ext 1 Tutor

I think it depends. If you've got the money go for it but a textbook and youtube can teach you the whole course if you really dedicate yourself, are self motivated and are somewhat alright overall at grasping concepts by yourself. I think it depends on an individual's circumstances though...

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by heiresss View Post
    I'm currently doing Math Ext 1 and struggling a bit. If I got a tutor, would it help me a lot and raise my grades?
    It'll help you understand the content but it won't help with silly mistakes or your problem solving ability.

Also some general maths tips:

- Past papers are basically how you study, don't study using the textbook unless you forgot the content.
    - Do papers from your school more importantly to see the style and if they put in past paper questions or make their own.
    - If you can't do a question, write down everything the question gives you (only do this at the end of the exam) and all relevant content you know. For example, it's a series and sequences and you somehow can't do it, write down all the formulas and see if you can work with one of them.
    - Skip questions you can't realise how to do quickly and come back to it.

I think learning ahead for maths doesn't really help either because when I did learn ahead I feel like it made no difference to not learning ahead. I think it's more useful for content subjects like sciences where you can make notes ahead and edit them along the way.
    Last edited by pikachu975; 5 Apr 2017 at 6:39 PM.
    frog1944 likes this.
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)
    // 2 Unit Maths // Studies of Religion 1 //

2017 HSC
    // Biology // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced //

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    I think it depends. If you've got the money go for it but a textbook and youtube can teach you the whole course if you really dedicate yourself, are self motivated and are somewhat alright overall at grasping concepts by yourself. I think it depends on an individual's circumstances though...
    i would actually suggest this

to do well in maths you should do the following (imo):

1. get ahead of peers by at least a term. you should be doing this in the school holidays and during this time you should be focusing on the easier-medium level questions so then by the time you get back to school, you can focus on the harder questions
    2. do lots of practice questions. maths is a skill based subject involving problem solving requiring practice
    3. ask help when you need it. you have this forum to ask as many questions as you want.
    4. for the questions you struggle with/the harder question, you ask for help, understand the theory behind the question and redo that question a couple of times (or do similar questions) so then you actually understand your mistake. remember not to fall into the trick of rote learning the answer, it's tempting

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by heiresss View Post
    So far ext 1 maths has been relatively simple so I'm not sure why you would need a tutor.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by donkily View Post
    i would actually suggest this

to do well in maths you should do the following (imo):

1. get ahead of peers by at least a term. you should be doing this in the school holidays and during this time you should be focusing on the easier-medium level questions so then by the time you get back to school, you can focus on the harder questions
    2. do lots of practice questions. maths is a skill based subject involving problem solving requiring practice
    3. ask help when you need it. you have this forum to ask as many questions as you want.
    4. for the questions you struggle with/the harder question, you ask for help, understand the theory behind the question and redo that question a couple of times (or do similar questions) so then you actually understand your mistake. remember not to fall into the trick of rote learning the answer, it's tempting
    100% do that number 1 step as a person that was failing term 1 of year 10 to someone who is getting 85% in math accelerated, it was this one step that changed everything, the amount of pressure that's lifted off of you when you complete the topics is amazing, I started year 11 with the preliminary knowledge done and I went through term 1 as if I was just revising, it helps a lot when understanding topics and really allows flexibility.

Thread Information