Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sssona09

Thread: Year 11 selective exam Hurlstone Agricultural High School

HSC

Question Year 11 selective exam Hurlstone Agricultural High School

I'm in year 10 (2017) and I want to go to a selective school for year 11. I'm going to sit a selective exam for Hurlstone Agricultural high school. I also want to sit the selective exam for other schools but I'm scared that it will be all cramped up in one day, or can I choose what day of the first week of August I can sit the exams.

Just to get this straight, the exam consists of maths, science, reading comprehension and an extended response about agriculture. (please correct if wrong). I'm pretty confident with maths, but not so much about science and agriculture. Which science topics do I need to study? And do I have to know about agriculture to write an extended response?

How do I study for an extended response; does anybody have a format or structure I should follow?

Please also tell me about other selective schools and the format of their selective exam. Maybe include some links to past papers that can help me.

Thank You So Much!

HSC

Re: Year 11 selective exam Hurlstone Agricultural High School

Heya, I was in your exact position last year and having passed, I'm now a year 11 in HAHS and I shall promptly explain and give a somewhat briefing as to how it was lay out:

It's good that you're confident with maths, as it is the largest section comprising the test and yeah, so it basically tests your year 10 math knowledge (trig, surds and rationalising them, indices etc) '

For science, don't worry too much (although I'm not accountable for anything lol) but science was a 1 page where there were results for an experiment and we had to graph it and talk about variables and stuff. I messed up one part by making the silliest of silly mistakes so presumably the examiners forgave me lmao whatever
    You should be fine honestly, it's nothing beyond what you learn in year 10 about variables and controlled variables and that kinda thing

Okay so for agriculture

well
    '
    So the agriculture response basically goes like this. They give us info regarding the topic and then you get a question and basically this is what I did:
    So my essay arguments were random yet smart seeming BS literally. Like it was about how IT can improve agriculture or smth like that and I made up 3 random arguments altho I didnt know wtf I was talking about, HOWEVER my arguments had good evidence. My evidence was mainly from the text that they gave and I used that text for evidence whereas I came up with arguments myself.

So like I basically said that IT provides a framework for the advancement of agriculture through technological software being utilised to help analyse crops and which areas of land are most viable.

Then I use evidence from the text they gave because honestly without that, I would look so lost and it would be superficial af (who am i kidding its already superficial haha)

And then I conclude the paragraph and make sure I talk about the benefit ITS SO IMPORTANT TO LINK OKAY'

so say that through IT being able to help give statistics and develop apps to oversee which areas of land are productive, agriculture can better lead us blah blah blah idek

So you'll be fine, remember to BS well and I wrote nowhere as good frankly speaking

As long as u know more than zero about agriculture, youll be well versed for bullshizzing so yeah

Good luck! You can do it!

HSC

the HAHS exam was on a set date, idk about the others sorry

HSC

You are amazing. Thank you so much. So I'm doing a lot of maths, about one page of control variables and all that buff, reading comprehension and an extended response about agriculture which they already provide information about. Was the reading comprehension really hard like one of shakespeares novel (I hope not). How did you prepare for it?

Also how's the agriculture in the school, is it fun? What do you need to do?

HSC

Just one more thing. Can you please tell me exactly what I need to study. Should I write extended essays at home about agriculture, if so which topics should I write them about. Do you remember what your question was or what type of question it was (An argument, debate etc)? Should I try learning complex words because they might come up in the reading comprehension? It's always better to be safe than sorry. And you're sure in the science section you got nothing about chemistry, biology and stuff like that. Thank you so much btw.

HSC

I really want to make it in for year 8 selective for hurlstone agricultural high school .. what i need to prepare.

pls help me out

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovecarrots View Post
    You are amazing. Thank you so much. So I'm doing a lot of maths, about one page of control variables and all that buff, reading comprehension and an extended response about agriculture which they already provide information about. Was the reading comprehension really hard like one of shakespeares novel (I hope not). How did you prepare for it?

Also how's the agriculture in the school, is it fun? What do you need to do?
    Wait wait wait, guess what?! We didn't have reading comprehension You got nothing to worry about then :P

Like it's literally maths, science, and the agriculture essay presmably counts as "english and agriculture" so yeah, that's that

If it was a Shakespeare novel then dear god.. well best to be prepared in case they randomly add comprehension this year? Lmao but nah, as long as you're good with what I mentioned above ^ you'll be finee

I'm sooo happy I could help!! Awww!! Not a problem hun! Good luck with your studies!! You'll do well

PM me if you need more clarification, and good luck again, you seem so motivated, I hope you do well!

HSC

Agriculture isn't compulsory so I'm not doing it ahaha

There were rumours we need to do it in HSC but that's not the case, and I know that for me at least, I'd not do as well in Agriculture if I were competiting with kids who have done it in yr9/10

What subjects do you want to choose for HSC?

I'm doing the 3 sciences, math ext, english adv and computing app (which i was forced into omg and its not even like programming *sigh* )

HSC

Just one more thing. Can you please tell me exactly what I need to study. Should I write extended essays at home about agriculture, if so which topics should I write them about. Do you remember what your question was or what type of question it was (An argument, debate etc)? Should I try learning complex words because they might come up in the reading comprehension? It's always better to be safe than sorry. And you're sure in the science section you got nothing about chemistry, biology and stuff like that. Thank you so much btw.
    Okay so, for science, I'm positive you don't gotta worry about bio, chem, phys Like honestly, I was surprised at how easy it turned out to be since they did an experiment (metals in hydrochloric acid) to test reactivity and we needed to state the controlled variable which is obviously the metal since we're changing the metals and then THEY provide results and we graph it. And maybe another question about safety and hydrochloric acid is a skin irritant so you mention that and PRESTO that's the science section done

Now no comprehension BUT yees! You should learn complex words for the essay! Now in your position I would do this:
    -science (no need to study much, make sure u know graphing curve of best fit)
    -maths (keep up with ur good work, you seem like you'll do awesome)
    -essay:
    -for the essay, learn complex words and make sure they easily come to mind when writing your essay at the time
    -make sure you LINK and know the structure of an essay. Write concisely and dont jammer on for no good reason but keep it captivating enough with complex words and make it seem like you know what youre talking about even tho its all bluff

For the essay, you read what i wrote in the first post yeah? Our stimulus was "IT (information tech) is required for the progression of agriculture"
    And I answered in my thesis that IT being able to help give statistics and develop apps to oversee which areas of land are productive, can better lead us blah blah blah idek

so make sure you read about this, IT and agriculture

although

OKAY OMG SORRY

READ THIS:

So to help us, the essay stimulus leads on from the text they give us which is a media article about agriculture and IT so you can use this for your arguments as I mentioned in the first post

NoW THERES COMPREHENSION

which is based on this media article

and the questions are straightforward- use complex words and answer the question

you should, for the comprehension, and essay, know about agriculture and the current scope of it (technology advancements to help agriculture) so read up on this and you dont need to "study" but KNOW this

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by vishmate View Post
    I really want to make it in for year 8 selective for hurlstone agricultural high school .. what i need to prepare.

pls help me out
    use the tips I gave @Ilovecarrots

For maths, be well versed with the content you're doing this year. They wont ask beyond that, but they will ask what you did in school but make it a tad bit more challenging.

I cant help much since I did the year 11 test but read what I said above ^

Good luck!

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by sssona09 View Post
    Agriculture isn't compulsory so I'm not doing it ahaha

There were rumours we need to do it in HSC but that's not the case, and I know that for me at least, I'd not do as well in Agriculture if I were competiting with kids who have done it in yr9/10

What subjects do you want to choose for HSC?

I'm doing the 3 sciences, math ext, english adv and computing app (which i was forced into omg and its not even like programming *sigh* )

I'm not exactly certain yet, but it's definitely going to be out of these subjects.
    Preliminary Maths Extension (Definite)
    Preliminary English Extension (Definite)

Some of these subjects
    Music
    Biology
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Earth and Environmental Studies
    Legal Studies
    Economics
    SOR

HSC

I'm not exactly certain yet, but it's definitely going to be out of these subjects.
    Preliminary Maths Extension (Definite)
    Preliminary English Extension (Definite)

Some of these subjects
    Music
    Biology
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Earth and Environmental Studies
    Legal Studies
    Economics
    SOR
    Ah I wish I had chosen Eng extension too tbh, good choice!

You have a good choice I'll tell you how my subjects go but I find that chem is enjoyable and physics too despite some areas being hard

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by sssona09 View Post
    Ah I wish I had chosen Eng extension too tbh, good choice!

You have a good choice I'll tell you how my subjects go but I find that chem is enjoyable and physics too despite some areas being hard
    Yeah, I'm most probably going to choose maths extension 2 in Year 12 if I can handle it.
    So the maths part in the selective exam is the only about year 10 topics right. Not about financial maths and simple or compound interest.
    Last edited by Ilovecarrots; 13 Apr 2017 at 5:45 PM.

HSC

Yeah, I'm most probably going to choose maths extension 2 in Year 12 if I can handle it.
    So the maths part in the selective exam is the only about year 10 topics right. Not about financial maths and simple or compound interest.
    Same haha

Yep, year 10 topics but if you know financial maths that's good lol but dont bother with it, its only year 10 topics without financial maths

surds, indices (there was a kinda hard one abt indices which put me off guard despite me being well versed with that stuff but i figured it LOOKED hard but was simple and did it right in the last minute lol)

also you read my other posts yeah? Like there actually is comprehension

HSC

I hope this fits into the thread, but I was looking at the notice thing they give out for Hurlstone saying how many placements are currently available for students entering in Yr 8-11, and this year there seems to be 0 places for all year groups.

Is this odd, because I know last year on the same sheet, there were about 25 places open for students coming into Yr11? Could it be because of everything that's happening with the school moving, maybe?

HSC

Hey,

I know this is close to the selective school date and I dunno whether or not you're still on or not but coming from a current Year 12 at Hurlstone, from what I remember the science was only one page and it was very simple. The selective school exam as you probably know by now is a set date in August on a Saturday usually.

For agriculture, following on from what the year 11 kid said, they may also ask a question that is directly related to an extract from English (from what I remember they usually have an extract from English that is ag related and that will most likely help you answer the question. Yes it's basically bullshit, I don't think they're looking at how much you know about ag, it's more to do with how well you can structure your responses, So extended response just write a normal essay with believable statistics, facts or quotations from the text provided. but if you're really worried just read a lot and you'll be fine since ag is technically really easy.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Briur View Post
    I hope this fits into the thread, but I was looking at the notice thing they give out for Hurlstone saying how many placements are currently available for students entering in Yr 8-11, and this year there seems to be 0 places for all year groups.

Is this odd, because I know last year on the same sheet, there were about 25 places open for students coming into Yr11? Could it be because of everything that's happening with the school moving, maybe?
    LOLOLOLOL don't worry.

people at hurlstone will usually move on to better schools like baulko, ruse, nsg, etc... so positions open up.

HSC

pretty sure u gotta be in the top 60 for ext 1 at the end of prelims to do it.

HSC

I'm in year 10 (2017) and I want to go to a selective school for year 11. I'm going to sit a selective exam for Hurlstone Agricultural high school. I also want to sit the selective exam for other schools but I'm scared that it will be all cramped up in one day, or can I choose what day of the first week of August I can sit the exams.

Just to get this straight, the exam consists of maths, science, reading comprehension and an extended response about agriculture. (please correct if wrong). I'm pretty confident with maths, but not so much about science and agriculture. Which science topics do I need to study? And do I have to know about agriculture to write an extended response?

How do I study for an extended response; does anybody have a format or structure I should follow?

Please also tell me about other selective schools and the format of their selective exam. Maybe include some links to past papers that can help me.

Thank You So Much!
    good luck for ur test anyway since its close.

Thread Information