Year 11 taking its toll (1 Viewer)

olivialovestudy

HSC
Hi,

So, Term 2 has just begun for Year 11, that means Prelims in about 4 weeks. I planned on studying for the past couple of weeks, however have just been overwhelmed by everything. The content. The work. The pressure. Everything. I did nothing, in hopes that a 2 week break would refresh me. I complete all my homework, however I just feel like I have lost all motivation, and any drive (I was a straight A student during High School, achieving Academic Excellence at the end of last year). I just feel like I am in a pit. I feel like everything I do isn't good enough and my standards are getting lower.
I begun Year 11 motivated and positive, I went in knowing I wanted to achieve a 98+ atar in Year 12, however after about week 5/6 of the first term, everything just disappeared. I am constantly stressed, am no longer happy and my mind is always on the work that I should be doing, but have no motivation to do. My results so far have been fine, but I feel like I am just being swallowed up by everything and I have lost all faith in myself to do well. I sometimes wish I never did well in High School, just so I don't have to uphold the standards in which my family (and myself) hold now, during the holidays I even begun thinking about just dropping out all together. I just feel like I am slacking off but have no control over it. I no longer feel pleasure in doing my school work, it is just a chore. I don't want to be in this slump, but I just feel so pressured and I can't help it. I just wish it was all over. :(
Any motivation to get me studying for Prelims and to get me back on track would be much appreciated.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Mate, I did sweet fuck all in high-school and my life has been relatively successful and enjoyable.

aidan059

HSC
What matters is to maintain. Don't blow yourself in Year 11, however it is good to get high results in prelim they don't really matter that much, as long as you grasp the concepts for what your learning as it will be relevant next year. If you don't get the rank you wanted at the end of prelim, just think to yourself, none of what I did for the past year has any contribution at all to the HSC, ZERO will contribute to my ATAR. I'm telling you, I'm not saying do zero work in Year 11 but do what you think is suitable, if you burn out in year 11, you're going to fuck up year 12. Have a plan and don't cram for the love of God. Get enough sleep each night and in the holidays take a break. If you do, you'll come back extremely refreshed and just remember, there's always time for improvement. Man I'm halfway through my HSC year and I've fucked up half my assessments but hell that doesn't matter, in reality the HSC exam is 50% of my ATAR as well as about 25% left in school assessments. I witnessed my brother get a 96.2 atar estimate after trials. He studied hard and came back with a 99.6 final atar. Trust me, don't feel bad if your not studying in year 11. Don't stress and get a routine together so you come prepared for next year. You set your own standards. If you don't do well, just make up for it next assessment. Worrying gets your nowhere. Stay in it and play the game and maintain a steady pace, that's what the HSC is, how well you can keep a pace so you don't tire out.

Regards, person who got a 94.8 estimate and wants to get into course with 96 cut off.

woshiannie

HSC
Have a plan and don't cram for the love of God. Get enough sleep each night and in the holidays take a break.
So true! Olivia, I'm also in my HSC year and I get what you mean by feeling overwhelmed (but you're definitely getting stressed bit early). I'm never gotten to a point where I can't handle it, so here're some practical tips that you might find helpful (similar to the 4 tips to stay motivated my friend wrote about).

1. Know that you're the only one who can de-stress yourself.
I found it really powerful when I realised that if I'm the one thinking in an non-constructive way, I'm the one who can just as easily switch to thinking in a constructive way. Logically, it's not possible that you can slack off and "have no control over it"!! Not sure that this helps everyone but I now step back when I'm procrastinating, realise what I'm doing (and how i'll hate myself later), and forcefully close the tabs. Just because I can.

2. A lot of what you say sounds like you're losing confidence. You should never feel completely hopeless, here's why: you were occupied with another project when everyone was studying, you did not fully understand what the task expected, whatever - you can do it if the next person can. In general, work = results and I'm sure you get this connection, but just try keep it in sight when starting to feel stressed.

3. Some might say lower the expectations, but to me that goes back to point 1 - ask yourself, do you really want to lower the expectations? I.e. did you put on yourself because you're able to carry them out and if you lowered it, are you not reaching that potential? If you'd rather not, try to think of expectations (which sounds bad) as goals. So you're not being expected to rank top 5, that's your goal. Now you're working.

Last thing would be very simply, studies is not all!!! If you're feeling fulfilled and have an open outlook on school, you probs won't be that worked up about prelims.

Hope this helps and enjoy yr 11 :)
Annie

Last edited:

bujolover

HSC
Hi,

So, Term 2 has just begun for Year 11, that means Prelims in about 4 weeks. I planned on studying for the past couple of weeks, however have just been overwhelmed by everything. The content. The work. The pressure. Everything. I did nothing, in hopes that a 2 week break would refresh me. I complete all my homework, however I just feel like I have lost all motivation, and any drive (I was a straight A student during High School, achieving Academic Excellence at the end of last year). I just feel like I am in a pit. I feel like everything I do isn't good enough and my standards are getting lower.
I begun Year 11 motivated and positive, I went in knowing I wanted to achieve a 98+ atar in Year 12, however after about week 5/6 of the first term, everything just disappeared. I am constantly stressed, am no longer happy and my mind is always on the work that I should be doing, but have no motivation to do. My results so far have been fine, but I feel like I am just being swallowed up by everything and I have lost all faith in myself to do well. I sometimes wish I never did well in High School, just so I don't have to uphold the standards in which my family (and myself) hold now, during the holidays I even begun thinking about just dropping out all together. I just feel like I am slacking off but have no control over it. I no longer feel pleasure in doing my school work, it is just a chore. I don't want to be in this slump, but I just feel so pressured and I can't help it. I just wish it was all over. :(
Any motivation to get me studying for Prelims and to get me back on track would be much appreciated.
Me exactly right now. :'( Good thing you posted this. Been wasting ENTIRE days on YouTube, and I know I'm gonna regret it real soon. :(:(:(

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah just relax in year 11 (study for maths/english though) because honestly barely any content follows through and year 11 marks are irrelevant as everyone works wayyyy harder in year 12, different content, tutoring, etc. Just relax in year 11 because trust me year 12 is WAY more stressful and has WAY more work than year 11 and there are not many breaks so just enjoy the time you have now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)