What subjects to choose in Year 11? (1 Viewer)

Giulianadbe

HSC
Hi all, I am about to undertake the subject selection process for Years 11 & 12. I am interested in Mathematics and IT subjects and wish to pursue a commerce/information technology degree at university. Here is the list of subjects that I am thinking of choosing:

English Advanced
SOR 1
Mathematics Extention 1
Information Processes Technology
Economics
Business Studies or Ancient History

I am unsure of my last selection as I have am interested in Ancient History, however, I think Business Studies would benefit my future career more than Ancient History would. Religion is compulsory to do at my school. I am aiming for an ATAR of 95.

If anyone has an opinion on which subjects I should take (even ones not mentioned) that would benefit my career/ATAR please respond!
Thanks!

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
When we grow older most of us have a natural curiosity for our past. But History is not like Physics or Maths. If you are literate and not too dumb you can always read up history yourself. For in my mind, it does not matter very much if you do not take Ancient History or for that matter SOR (but the school you attend forces you to take it I presume). So if you can manage it taking a science unit like Chemistry or Physics may be more beneficial - these subjects, if you ever need them later, though not impossible, would be difficult to self-study. Your choce of MX1 would be helpful for the course you say you intend to pursue.

Frostguard

HSC
Ultimately choose a subject you have actual interest in, not a subject you think will help your ATAR or future career, maybe Ancient History will feel like a refresher and new subject because right now, your subjects are heavily mathematical and information based (which I'm sure you're happy with) but maybe just choose Ancient for the time being and if your school is like mine, allows you to drop it and change to another. But yeah it's completely up to you in choosing what's right for you, but if not, just choose Business Studies as the last resort if you think Ancient will impact your potential to undertake a degree in maths/ipt. You know you could be like me where I wanted to study commerce/economics in university but completely changed my views upon seeing a psychology lecture and now I wish to pursue Law or Psycholgy instead. I'm basically just saying don't put all your eggs in one basket and increase your career choices and paths. Good Luck in your subject selection and the near future! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)