Year 11 Selective Entrance Test (1 Viewer)

jacqt

HSC
Hi guys im currently in Year 10 at a Catholic school, planning to try out for the following selective schools:

-North Sydney Girls High School
-Sydney Girls High School
-St George Girls High School

My question is, what type of questions comes in each school? I'm curious to know so I can prepare myself for each criteria and what should I get for my school report for half yearly this year? I got mostly As but some Bs last year - is this enough? Or is this too low? How many spots are available for each school?

Thank you!

bujolover

HSC
My question is, what type of questions comes in each school?
For NSGHS, you need to do the Higher Ability Selection Test (HAST), as far as I'm aware, from a friend's experience. (She tried out for those schools almost 2 years ago for Yr 10, but I think it's the same process to get into Yr 11 as well.) They look at your results from this test in conjunction with your school performance (whatever you submit - reports, certificates, etc.) and decide whether you're good enough for their school depending on how many vacancies there are for the following year.
Try your absolute hardest - aim for straight A's this semester (and BTW, you need your Year 9 yearly report too; hopefully you did well on that), and ace the HAST (try and be overall top 10% in the test out of all the others doing it in the state) - and you should be pretty much sorted. Don't be too heartbroken if you don't get in - my friend did well in her report AND got top 10%, but she still didn't get into either school, very likely because there were no vacancies for the following year. However, Yr 10 isn't a common year for people to change schools, and hence why people were less likely to leave that school (especially since it's a really good school), but Yr 11 is more common, so you would have a better shot if you do well in both school and the test.

For SGHS, I believe you only need your Yr 10 HY and Year 9 yearly reports and maybe NAPLAN results. You should check their website, and go to the Enrolments tab, which gives everything you need to submit. I'm pretty sure there's no test.

Hope this advice helps! :)

dibblydunce

HSC
N/A
Just a question if anyone knows; How the hell are we supposed to submit our NAPLAN results if they come out in August?

bujolover

HSC
Just a question if anyone knows; How the hell are we supposed to submit our NAPLAN results if they come out in August?
Oh, you only submit whatever you have, from my experience. If you only have Yr 7 NAPLAN results, that's all you need to submit. :) You can't submit Yr 9 results, obviously.

dibblydunce

HSC
N/A
What if you can't supply the year 7 NAPLAN because you can't find them? Can you get away with it lol. Also if you have a pretty bad report (say 5As 3Bs and 2Cs for last year's yearly and a predicted 4As 3Bs and a C for this year's half yearly) will Extracurriculars (5 clubs, 2 ICAS Awards and 2 subject awards) combined with a presumably good mark on the test give me admission or at least a high reserve? How much more does the test weigh than the application and interview? Also, how many people try out compared to the number of vacancies? And lastly, is it better to submit your application online or through post? Sorry for all the questions I'm just determined to get in this year and can't take any chances :) Please feel free to leave advice

bujolover

HSC
What if you can't supply the year 7 NAPLAN because you can't find them? Can you get away with it lol. Also if you have a pretty bad report (say 5As 3Bs and 2Cs for last year's yearly and a predicted 4As 3Bs and a C for this year's half yearly) will Extracurriculars (5 clubs, 2 ICAS Awards and 2 subject awards) combined with a presumably good mark on the test give me admission or at least a high reserve? How much more does the test weigh than the application and interview? Also, how many people try out compared to the number of vacancies? And lastly, is it better to submit your application online or through post? Sorry for all the questions I'm just determined to get in this year and can't take any chances :) Please feel free to leave advice
Oooh...I don't know if you can "get away" with it. How on earth do you not have your NAPLAN results???!!! They're more important than you think. :/ I think the chances of you getting in with no NAPLAN results would be significantly reduced then (not to say that it's impossible to get in), because most, if not all, other candidates would have theirs in (I mean, it's a REQUIREMENT generally). LOOK EVERYWHERE FOR THEM!!!! If you're determined to get into a school this year, you very likely need them.

Generally, they say that heaps and heaps (like, hundreds) of people try out for maybe maximum 10-15 vacancies. It really varies, though, and no-one knows how many actually apply every year.

I believe they look at the test first, then if you're one of the top, they look at your application. If both are lookin' good, they'll call you up for an interview (sometimes they just give you a straight offer). Generally, you don't have to worry too much about the interview - from my experience, if you get one, you're pretty much in - they have all the enrolment stuff ready for you; you just have to make sure that you speak properly and don't sound like a liar or a dodgy person in general, and you're through!

There's no such thing as a "better" way to submit, I think. Just make sure it's before the deadline. I, personally, posted mine, and I got my parents to send an email to the school saying that I submitted. You need to send photocopies of your certificates, reports and stuff, so I'd say post is best, but then again, you can never be sure with post - what if they lose it/they're late to deliver? Plus, you have to pay a fee for postage. So IDK, up to you. But, I mean, if you're asking whether they're more likely to take you if you post or email, that's just ridiculous, and they would never define a potential candidate by the method they submit the application. But I'm sure that's not what you were asking. :D

I'm in the process of replying to your PM for your other questions. Hang on; it's a long one. :p

dibblydunce

HSC
N/A
Thanks for all the help, seriously. You've given me the confidence to believe that I might have a chance now, and to also look for my NAPLAN results :D. Also, I'm not quite sure if I can receive your PMs if you sent them (currently I've received no new messages). If you've sent them let me know :p
EDIT
So they look at the test first (and presuming I'm top or one of the top students in that regard since I'm determined to study hard for it, and they look at my application), will my current application be considered a "good" one? If it miraculously is and I do receive an interview, by that stage what are the chances of admission? I think I'd be pretty safe for the interview because I'm quite good at them (Smiling, nodding, talking formally and all that jazz). Again, thank you so much. :D

Last edited:

bujolover

HSC
Thanks for all the help, seriously. You've given me the confidence to believe that I might have a chance now, and to also look for my NAPLAN results :D. Also, I'm not quite sure if I can receive your PMs if you sent them (currently I've received no new messages). If you've sent them let me know :p
I haven't sent it yet; will send shortly. I'm so glad to hear that I've helped someone in such a way!! It warms my heart. <3

dibblydunce

HSC
N/A
Just sent in an edit on that comment xD And thank you again!

bujolover

HSC
So they look at the test first (and presuming I'm top or one of the top students in that regard since I'm determined to study hard for it, and they look at my application), will my current application be considered a "good" one? If it miraculously is and I do receive an interview, by that stage what are the chances of admission? I think I'd be pretty safe for the interview because I'm quite good at them (Smiling, nodding, talking formally and all that jazz). Again, thank you so much. :D
Hmmm...I'll put in some new advice - if you think your application isn't that cool/outstanding, you need to find as many achievements as possible (yes, even look through primary school stuff) and DON'T put credits/participations for competitions if you didn't know that already. They are viewed in a negative light, and you don't want the panel to see ANYTHING negative about your application. Personally, I wrote a "CV" for my application listing all my achievements (academic and extracurricular) and some personal things, but it's up to you whether you want to do that. It makes you stand out IMO.

BTW, there's no point in studying super-super-hard for the HAST (I'm not sure if that's the test you're talking about). It's just like selective, except there's no coaching for it. :D You need to have the skills already. The only thing you can do to prepare is to buy a sample online HAST test with all the subjects (reading, maths, writing and GA). I also did some Victorian Yr 9 scholarship exams a day/two beforehand, but seriously, you can only do about 3 days worth of studying in total. There's hardly any prep material for the test. Trust me when I say it's not hard (GA is piss-easy). All you have to do is make sure you finish all the damn exams.

If you get into the interview, assume you're in; just don't get over-confident until you get the post-interview letter saying you're through.

dibblydunce

HSC
N/A
Just PMed you :D. I stupidly forgot to save a copy of it though so I can't read over it again. Let me know if you've received it!
Also, I only have those 5 clubs and 5 awards (So a CV is out of the question probably). The HAST isn't what I'm taking, I'm taking the Hurlstone test (3 sections: English Math Science, and I've got a good idea on what to study for each).

bujolover

HSC
Just PMed you :D. I stupidly forgot to save a copy of it though so I can't read over it again. Let me know if you've received it!
Also, I only have those 5 clubs and 5 awards (So a CV is out of the question probably). The HAST isn't what I'm taking, I'm taking the Hurlstone test (3 sections: English Math Science, and I've got a good idea on what to study for each).
I got it. :)
Ohhh...that's ok. It was just a suggestion, but I dunno whether it necessarily increases your chance of a position.
Oh, the Hurlstone test...yeah, I've heard stuff about that.

Well, good luck with everything, and may you get into your first choice! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)