How many hours of sleep do you need to function for the HSC? (1 Viewer)

kendallkreene

HSC
My school starts at the ridiculous time of 7:30 AM. I have to wake up at 6:40 to get ready, usually takes me 20 mins, then I have 18 mins to eat breakfast, but sometimes I can't even get breakfast in because it's so early. Then we leave at 7:18 because it usually takes us 12 mins to get to school. I think I function best at 8 + hours of sleep, but problem is there is so much work to do that I'm considered lucky if I squeeze in 7 hours.

I'm awake right now because coming back from school yesterday I was so tired that I did nothing but mope about from 3-7pm before dozing off. Now it is midnight.

So far, it hasn't been the best year emotionally -- my grades are steady, some 90s and a few 80s/70s when I'm at my weakest, but emotionally it's been a mess.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Around 3-6 hours each school day I guess and 10+ hours on weekends - different for every person. Some people need 9+ etc.

Gotta make sacrifices for the HSC :lol: but willpower and music (personally stuff like dubstep/nightcore/modern songs) can motivate you to overcome tiredness.

Research says sleep cycles are 1 hour 30 so probably try to get sleep in 1 hour 30 multiples which could explain why some people are tired with 7 hours or 8 hours etc.

Last edited:

blackbird_14

HSC
For me, I think i had around 8 hours sleep every night (except when my composition portfolio was due the day after), but I'm probably an exception to the vast majority of people, going to sleep at 10:30pm :)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
u should plan out your day so you can see where you're allocating your time. I do this at uni, it can also be applied for high school

6:30 wake up
6:30-7:30 shower/breakfast etc
7:30-8:30 drive
9-11 lecture
11-1 tutorial
1-2 lunch
2-3 class
3-4 break/study
4-6 lecture
6-7 drive home
7-10 study
10-11 leisure
11pm sleep

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
once you do this, you can see where you can optimize some time in your schedule so that you can try to get 8 to 9 hours of sleep every night

si2136

HSC
N/A
I may sound arrogant, but hear me out.

http://sleepyti.me/

Everyone is different of course, but try sleeping for 3 hours and 6 hours, and you'll notice that there isn't much change in your alertness.

Following the pattern of the sleep cycle is more important than actually going to bed early or late. Generally, 5 sleep cycles is the most you need.

Since I have morning periods, I sleep at 11 the day before and I wake up at 5:45.

Usually though, I sleep at around 12. However, your circumstances are quite unique.

Maybe find out when you can focus the best? You can always sleep early and wake up at night to study. That might work for you.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I may sound arrogant, but hear me out.

http://sleepyti.me/

Everyone is different of course, but try sleeping for 3 hours and 6 hours, and you'll notice that there isn't much change in your alertness.

Following the pattern of the sleep cycle is more important than actually going to bed early or late. Generally, 5 sleep cycles is the most you need.

Since I have morning periods, I sleep at 11 the day before and I wake up at 5:45.

Usually though, I sleep at around 12. However, your circumstances are quite unique.

Maybe find out when you can focus the best? You can always sleep early and wake up at night to study. That might work for you.
Yeah I think this works even when I sleep for 3 hours, don't really feel that tired (except it's hard to wake up)

stopcrying

HSC
Some people (less than 1% of the population) can function on very little sleep due to rare genetic mutations but for the great majority of teenagers, you need at least 7-8 hours of sleep to maintain health. Of course sometimes you may need to pull all nighters for assignments or whatever but these should not be done regularly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)